• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Looking to delete EGR but not trigger light

ams

Howdy!
I got one of those CA 240s that has that EGR stuff on it. It is not acting up yet but I would rather deal with it before it does. Is there a write up on an EGR delete?
It is an 89.
The goal is to not trigger the check engine light.

Thanks!

Andrew

An EGR richens the fuel mixture by chemically reducing the compression ratio.

Removing the EGR without a retune will leave a motor in a very lean state.

Another thing many dont realize is that an EGR does not do anything at higher power levels.

An EGR richens the fuel mixture by chemically reducing the compression ratio.

Removing the EGR without a retune will leave a motor in a very lean state.

Another thing many dont realize is that an EGR does not do anything at higher power levels.

Ha ha ha. Weird that the ignition box controls the EGR yet you say it will make the motor lean for more fuel if you delete it. You'd think the ECU control it then. So if you got egr it advances the ignition?? I deleted it and drove around with the check engine light on for a few months before I swapped to a NON egr EZK ignition box.

Lets see what is a non egr non turbo lh2.4 ignition box number? 169?

146 is egr I believe, red label is egr.

Ha ha ha. Weird that the ignition box controls the EGR yet you say it will make the motor lean for more fuel if you delete it. You'd think the ECU control it then. So if you got egr it advances the ignition?? I deleted it and drove around with the check engine light on for a few months before I swapped to a NON egr EZK ignition box.

Lets see what is a non egr non turbo lh2.4 ignition box number? 169?

146 is egr I believe, red label is egr.

^^ That post above was ridiculous. You can't change the compression ratio via an EGR system. It does change the mixture content. The 146 is an NA, non-EGR EZK. A 169 is both. If it has an EGR valve plugged into the system, it controls it. If there is no valve plugged in, it acts like a non-EGR EZK. Ferenc, (Fred)has that in his ECU/EZK information. I have indeed pulled multiple 169 EZKs from both EGR and non-EGR equipped cars. The 196 and 209 are NA with EGR EZKs.

Having done this myself, I will tell you that you have to change BOTH the EZ116K and the LH unit. Yes, the EZ controls the egr solenoid and the check engine light, but change just the EZ116K and it'll detonate LIKE A SUNUVAB*TCH. The fuel delivery of an egr LH box is insufficient, apparently.

I like the -951 and -169 boxes, but that's me. I didn't know about -169 egr, so I'd have to clarify -169 non-egr.

I picked up 2 mpg combined doing this, so I ain't mad at it.

Having done this myself, I will tell you that you have to change BOTH the EZ116K and the LH unit. Yes, the EZ controls the egr solenoid and the check engine light, but change just the EZ116K and it'll detonate LIKE A SUNUVAB*TCH. The fuel delivery of an egr LH box is insufficient, apparently.

I like the -951 and -169 boxes, but that's me. I didn't know about -169 egr, so I'd have to clarify -169 non-egr.

Wow I have never even considered this!

I run a 951 and 169 in all my NA cars.

Kool, so what NA LH 2.4 ECU fuel box is the non egr one? Pink label 561? When you say you swapped yours out from the EGR one, what number was that and you replaced it with a non egr 951? Have you ever loaded up different NA fuel bins and compared the fuel maps? Ha ha ha.. Didn't think so..

What I do is swap out the EZK chip in the chippable ezk with a no rev limit race NA EZK chip. Wanna race 2 mpg more boy?

Ha ha ha ha ha ahahahahha...

That’s what comes in a 1993 240 from the factory. A 951 ECU paired with a 169 EZK.

Was that for California as well? I wonder what the application of the -933 was, then, having believed it was the 9xx version of the EGR -556. Zack says turbo, but I wasn't sure that was correct. Not too many of those around here.

Kool, so what NA LH 2.4 ECU fuel box is the non egr one? Pink label 561? When you say you swapped yours out from the EGR one, what number was that and you replaced it with a non egr 951? Have you ever loaded up different NA fuel bins and compared the fuel maps? Ha ha ha.. Didn't think so..

What I do is swap out the EZK chip in the chippable ezk with a no rev limit race NA EZK chip. Wanna race 2 mpg more boy?

Shoestring's 1991 California market 240 came with a 933 ecu, not a 951. You have dyno sheets before and after that chip?

Was that for California as well? I wonder what the application of the -933 was, then, having believed it was the 9xx version of the EGR -556. Zack says turbo, but I wasn't sure that was correct. Not too many of those around here.

No. California 1993 240s got the 940 946 ECU with the fan driver and a 196 EZK. Those are EGR ECU/EZKs. A 933 is NA. The 939 is Turbo with EGR.

^^ That post above was ridiculous. You can't change the compression ratio via an EGR system. It does change the mixture content.

It chemically changes the compression ratio.
Thus lowering the peak combustion temps, which in turn reduces oxides.

Oxygen has been depleted from Exhaust gas so it is considered inert and does not contribute to the combustion process. It dilutes the intake air of oxygen.
This effectively enriches the fuel mixture.

A 951 is n/a LH2.4 like what is in my 93 245 non egr 49 state car. I don't know about that 933 but I also have a 937 ecu which is from an LH2.4 non egr 49 state turbo.

The inert gas introduced by the egr takes up room in the combustion chamber. So you are burning less air fuel mixture. It also has a cooling effect since it's going to absorb a bit of heat which reduces nox. At least that was always my understanding of egr. Egr is also only introduced under cruising steady state conditions. Not at idle.

Have you ever loaded up different NA fuel bins and compared the fuel maps? Ha ha ha.. Didn't think so..

Actually we've devoted more time to that than I care to think about.

And all I want to do is race.

Back