• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo Squirters Installation

Waldo

Hey, just lookin for some measurements or specific information for machining the squirter recess, the drilling and tapping depths for volvo squirters into a 91 non-squirters block. The bumps are there, so i just need the information to bring to the maching shop. thanks

and yes, the bmw ones would be easier but ive already got the beefy volvo ones waiting

Calling John V?

He's the only one I can think of that'll be able to give you the specs on a moments notice, but I'm sure someone will chime in!

Try the squirteralizational thread?

If youve machined youre block, any overview on what you did? The recess could be wider then the squirter itself to ease machining specs? Details on recess depth and angle, and the angle of the banjo bolt (which should be the same)? Im not a machinist but i dont see why it cant be done.

I guess anything can be done, but unless there is a really good reason not to go with the BMW setup why?
The machine work involved is more complex. To drill into the humps would take allot of work (lining up) you need to drill past the gallery and into the hump. If your wrong???
I had a machine shop copy the John V method. I had some concerns about clearance but with careful assembly everything turned out fine. The machine shop I used chose the spots in a way the cutter head could reach.

To buy the BMW ones and machine I'd say would work out cheaper than the work involved to get the Volvo ones in there.
http://www.pbase.com/stealthfti/squirtsys are the best photos i've seen.

Last edited:
Yeah, that website is very helpful for pics. I may have to contact a friend to see if a squirter block is available to borrow for measurements. I was just thinking if a level was put accross the crankcase, drop a plumbline from it down a cylinder and put a protractor against the squirter recess then you could get the angle. then, from those website photos, looks like the one corner of the squirter is plumb with the edge of the cylinder and the squirters side sits and the top of those 'humps'. I thought with just the correct angle, and good location, a face cutter could do the recess and the holes could be drilled using the squirter bolts as reference. I know there are 2 copper washers per squirter so i would likely need to reference a block for correct drilling depths but with all the knowledgeable peeps on here, i though someone could throw me a bone. Thoughts?

first thing is a guide, or pilot, bore, 0.25" is good. drill no further, obviously, than the main m8 tap bore goes. i suggest falling slightly short, you can drill further as you wish with the appropriate diameter bit for an m8 tappping. if you are using a machine drill press or multi axis machine with proper reaching heads then man you have it easy. if you do it by using your hands, then you will have to measure the angle as close that you can. i forgot what i used, i can check tomorrow perhaps. then it is simply a matter f setting up a fixed and angled drill point with a counterbore bit or endmill. for the depth of the recess for the squirter, allow no more than 7mm and no less than 6.5mm. measure from the bottom of the recess to the edge of the remaining or untouched "slope". then it is the matter of drilling the minor diameter bit appropriate for an m8 tap. after that the next size, which is the largest diameter, for the tight clearance for the pressure flow bolt f the squirter system. then tap. remember that the recess for the squirter "block" should be flat and as smooth as possible.

last bit, and most important: do not **** up.

Doesn't John V. have a jig and a drill bit for this job?

now were talkin, if you can tell me the angle when you get a chance, maybe torque spec? also, which width copper washers are used? thanks

i read somewhere that there are 2 copper washers per squirter, i will try to find where i read it....

i read somewhere that there are 2 copper washers per squirter, i will try to find where i read it....

Back