• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Gas Tank Question

VolvoNutt

K-jet Newbie
My new ?84 242 is arriving today, SO EXCITED:-D

I want to drain the gas tank first thing, everything I have read says the tank plug may not seal that great going back in and thus dripping thereafter. So my question is how do I ensure a good seal?

What does the all wise TB?er universe have to say???

Thank you for the advise in advance.

Remove the low pressure suction hose from the fuel pump and run the pump with a jumper into a clean mud bucket to drain the tank.

Assuming you are draining the tank because of storage put a couple gallons of new gas in the tank and pump that into a bucket also. How does it look? Tank rust will destroy the rest of the system if you try to pump it through the injectors and it will blow right through the filter.

This was the last 2 gallons of 'gas' I got out of a tank that had sat in a barn for 19 years.

PB181388.jpg

No drain plug.

Last edited:
This is that extra 2 gallons of gas from the tank after I had pumped it dry with the lift pump.

PB101370.jpg

Obviously the tank was rusted, perhaps beyond perhaps repair. Two choices: new tank or restoration by a radiator/tank shop which are in short supply.

Probably because the labor cost to service a tank is more than a new tank.

^ But this car won't have a drain. Just do as advised. Disconnect the line into the filter and run the pumps. Add more gas and repeat. Why complicate everything?

The next option is to just crush the car. It's easiest when they're "new".

Remove the low pressure suction hose from the fuel pump and run the pump with a jumper into a clean mud bucket to drain the tank.

I suggested draining at the hose from the lift pump because the fuel pressure at the filter is 90 psi. You really do not want to try to control 90 psi of fuel out of a 1/4" hose. Using the pressure pump to pump rust is guaranteed to ruin it.

I suggested draining at the hose from the lift pump because the fuel pressure at the filter is 90 psi. You really do not want to try to control 90 psi of fuel out of a 1/4" hose. Using the pressure pump to pump rust is guaranteed to ruin it.
Nooooo

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ci_sfp1rGjE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I used a larger piece of clear hose to extend into the bucket from the return hose but you should be able to handle 1/4" hose unless you have spider leg fingers.

Yes. Disregard my idiocy. Do this.

Back