• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

960 Am I stuck in Winter Mode? Or more serious...

DavidGS

Evening,

I am in the UK, so a gearbox is just a gearbox. :)

Not long bought a 91 960 3.0 estate auto. I pressed the W button (to the left of the gear lever) for some dumb reason and the up arrow light started flashing on the dash. As does the W button. The car drove fine for a while but now seems to be pulling away in 2nd (could, actually be 3rd by the speed of it) sometimes. It doesn't do this all the time, though.

I've searched the threads without success to try and establish whether this is indicating a gearbox fault (I don't think so as the other buttons, S & E, aren't flashing but then they don't illuminate at all now and I can't recall whether they did when I got the car) or I've just managed to jam it in Winter mode somehow.

I'm no mechanic, and don't have the facilities, but have enought nous for simple mechanics and electrics. But any idea as to where I would begin would be delightfully received. Of course, if this is a duplicate a link to that thread would be just as welcome.

Oh, and hello by the way.

David, near Bath in the rather confused United Kingdom.

PNP switch is a common one for the flashing arrow symptom. It's on the side of the gearbox. Install put it in reverse, adjust until reverse lights come on.

I could be off but, I think the winter mode changes the pressure in the trans

Winter mode changes shift points. AFAIR, it also makes the car start out in 2nd gear (unless forced into 1st by the shifter). The idea is to make it easier to get the car moving in snow.

Winter mode didn't really make much of a difference getting going on a snow over ice covered hill where a rallymaster decided would be a good checkpoint location on a rally. Over 60% of the cars could not get moving once stopped.

Back