• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boosted on a budget

Well judging by some of the comments as well as some of my feelings towards the tip on it, I may get rid of it. But trust me when I say I will triple check alignment prior to welding. I have lots of time in it already.

Last edited:
Below is one of my favorite exhaust setups I have seen on a brick. Clearance is not an issue, fits cleanly into the modified rocker, and has just the right amount of tip and turndown. Something I plan on trying to replicate if I ever get the chance to turbo my wagon.

Mattias-Vox-Vocks-Volvo-242-24v-turbo-61-800x533.jpg

Mattias-Vox-Vocks-Volvo-242-24v-turbo-53-800x533.jpg

Mattias-Vox-Vocks-Volvo-242-24v-turbo-48-800x533.jpg

With our powers combined,..

Yeah I am looking for one just not sure. I am leaning towards a small billet style resonator to right where the cat used to be. Simple to put in too.

small muffler = small change in sound

need a real muffler for a real change in volume

or..... redo the entire exhaust in a smaller diameter pipe

I'll trade you my setup ;-)

Well.. I took the car for a spin for the first time and not only was I excited, I was nervous as well...

So once I finished driving down my long and bumpy dirt road, I arrived at the street. :x:This was it. I started off slow then climbed speed a little. It did okay. Nice AFRs 14.7s Got to about 3rd gear then turned down a nice curvy road where I could have a little fun (not too much though). Well I gave some throttle and started to speed up only to find....
Clutch is slipping terribly. :grrr: No matter how much I tried, it slipped. I was puzzled. There was no way I had so much power that my newish clutch was rendered useless... Started talking to a friend and he asked if the rear main was leaking and I knew for a fact it was not. Then a comment was made that maybe it had oil on it from a leak or something. I remembered I had a tremendous oil leak from the rear cam seal when I first started it up. I have since then fixed it but being Lh2.4 it poured into the CPS hole and soaked the clutch. Good thing the clutch is a lifetime warranty SACHS from Autozone. Got a new one on the way and pulled the old one out. Yep, it was oily. Still brand new too what a shame.

Also, got an ECU chip from Turbotankshane to tune my car. I will post how that goes soon once my injectors come in and my clutch is installed. Theres a few little things I must finish prior to my dyno pulls to see what Hp I will be putting to the wheels.

Stay tuned..

ouuu I'm getting excited! i love how quick this project is progressing man! you do good and quick work! I'm excited to see how this thing pulls with a good clutch

Thanks for the kind words. Im trying to get this thing on the road to see if I can beat some local guys always flaunting...

Here's a photo of the engine bay with everything completely put back together.

2C3C05B5-F115-42A4-BFC7-753CC5C8A23E.jpg

And here's a shot of how it sits the day of it's failed attempt to roll out:

43173245-32E9-4505-92EF-2D05DD0006CF.jpg

Actually looks sad to me. I thought of a name for the car that was inspired by a fellow Tbricker (TalkingGoats) that kindly made this picture of my car as Johnny #5 :
NumberJohnnyFive.jpg

So I think Im going to name it: Wall E

Ok, so a new clutch came in today, I will most likely put it in tomorrow. I will update once I get to it. Man I hate pulling/installing transmissions!

Ok, so a new clutch came in today, I will most likely put it in tomorrow. I will update once I get to it. Man I hate pulling/installing transmissions!

Last one I got to do was out of a bus built on a 1 ton chevy cab/chassis.. the boss was mad at me so I got to pull it on the ground, didn't even get a rack.

After that one, swapping out the aw70 to aw71 was a cakewalk! But still a pain relative to most other jobs on that car. I feel your pain

I remember them big ass Eaton Fuller tranny's at my old job. Heavy suckers. Along with them Rockwell tranny's and rear end carriers. Sucks to be you Shane.

Nope. I just set em there for now until I get an alignment. I have no clue what degree they are other than extreme. You can see from this photo for an idea:
1B174665-E3B3-49C5-8138-87A8299891FC.jpg

Mine are halfway around 2.5*. I'm willing to bet you're at 4* or more. Keep the good work coming, especially engine bay pics. I can't get over that color. :oogle:

Thanks!

So when I got off duty, I came home to these:

58C4747E-16E3-4D28-901A-E8D251BF2D9E.jpg

72lb/hr goodness!!

Combined with my Turbotankshane chip:
DE5420C2-2C23-4946-BEEF-A77596FE6277.jpg

I should be ready for some good boostin'

Now it's time to install the clutch....:-(

Last edited:
Back