• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Anyone run an AW72L on a 245?

Ryan_R

Has anyone run an AW-72L behind a B230F? I know the AW72 has a higher stall torque converter (2450rpm), though the AW71L behind the B230FD is supposedly 2400rpm. I'd be running either an 'A' or 'VX' (when IPD restocks) cam, so a higher stall speed TC shouldn't be too scary.

What says TB?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Are you just trying to have an aggressive cam that doesn't stall you out on stops? Or... why are you trying to go 72L?

I thought I remembered reading someone went with a 72L recently and disliked it, but mostly because of the locker...

Really, I just want to put a locker on the 245, and there's an abundance of B234's and AW-72's in the driveway. I do have an AW-70L here, but it's of questionable condition. The more aggressive cam is simply to let the engine breathe a bit over the 'M'.

The mission profile of the 245 will be good with the lock-up for more efficiency. If I had a turbo, I'd not consider it.

Thanks!

-Ryan

I've done the 71L swap on my 244+T (3.73 rear), and had to disable the lockup in order to make the car fun again. If you have anything less than a 3.73 rear end (a 4.10 is what the L cars came with), you'll really hate the lockup converter and it won't net you much more mileage because you'll always be 'in' the pedal to keep up with traffic, climb a hill, or accelerate even slightly.

I agree that the turbo changes the equation entirely. The 945T will spool up the little Mitsu easily while in 4th.

With a B230F, the lock-up isn't *that* much of a drag, as you really gotta run a higher revving cam and hop out of OD for passing. The 16-valves and then the turbo spoiled me.

FWIW, All the 8-valve NA 740's with a lock-up AW70L had the 3.73, it was only in '93 that they went to the 4.10 with the AW71L.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Try Conner850..... and he's in metro ATL. I'm pretty sure he has the 72L from a B234F in his 245 Vaggen.

FWIW, All the 8-valve NA 740's with a lock-up AW70L had the 3.73, it was only in '93 that they went to the 4.10 with the AW71L.

That's not correct. I've seen plenty of pre-'93 cars that had the 4.10. In fact, I've never seen an L-equipped 7/940 that didn't have a 4.10.

That's not correct. I've seen plenty of pre-'93 cars that had the 4.10. In fact, I've never seen an L-equipped 7/940 that didn't have a 4.10.

I've seen 100% the opposite. Only 4.10's I've had were 16-valve GLE's. All the 1990-92 740s with an AW70L were 3.73... and there have been quite a number of these over 21 years of driving these things.

-Ryan

Last edited:
Back