• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anybody ever put a Miata 5 speed trans into a 240?

HiSPL

Fanking Champion 1993
Was just pondering the thought of lovely gearboxes to use once my m47 gives up the ghost.

My car will never have more than 200 HP, likely not more than 130-140 truth be told. The Miata box would work, and it is a lovely thing to use, and parts are available and pretty cheap. First gear is 3.136:1, second is 1.88:1 and working up to a .814:1 overdrive in fifth.

So a longer 1st gear and much closer spread between gears than the M47 has. Fourth and fifth gears are the same between mazda and volvo.

I've been thinking of putting the same trans in an Amazon, could be an M41 alternative. Adapter plate or cut and shut seem to be the only options as it's an integral bellhousing. They also use a power plant frame instead of a cross member, adding a slight twist to setting them up in a normal chassis.

I think it would have the potential to be the perfect trans for an NA redblock.

I have not seen anyone do it when researching it.

Last edited:
I think cutting the mounting flange off the mazda trans is the best way. The Mazda starter is on the wrong side I think.

I didn't even think about the crossmember problem, but I bet thats solvable with a tig welder as well.

I think cutting the mounting flange off the mazda trans is the best way. The Mazda starter is on the wrong side I think.

I didn't even think about the crossmember problem, but I bet thats solvable with a tig welder as well.

Lots of adapter setups have you trim the bellhousing to accommodate the starter.

Torque is what kills transmissions not HP. How much heavier is a 240 over a Miata?

The first gen is 2,100lbs and the latest generation is 2,400lbs with weight increasing across the four generations.

In my opinion a Miata gearbox is better suited to an Amazon or 544 than a 240 if you were to put one in a Volvo.

Was just pondering the thought of lovely gearboxes to use once my m47 gives up the ghost.

My car will never have more than 200 HP, likely not more than 130-140 truth be told. The Miata box would work, and it is a lovely thing to use, and parts are available and pretty cheap. First gear is 3.136:1, second is 1.88:1 and working up to a .814:1 overdrive in fifth.

So a longer 1st gear and much closer spread between gears than the M47 has. Fourth and fifth gears are the same between mazda and volvo.

The gear spread does look pretty nice. Reminds me of an M40/41 setup with that more useful 1st gear.

The question you'll probably get is "why not do a T5".

Mine was quieter with the stock shifter on it, the Steeda seemed to transmit more noise. but then it shifted a LOT better, so totally worth it.

And then I replaced the hard shifter knob with a leather one, that actually quieted it down as well.

I think a lot of transmissions are noisy, but the shifter linkages bring varying amounts of NVH inside to bother you.

Back