• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Head gasket questions

Take the ferry to Seattle, and run out to Lynwood Pick-n-pull. $45.00 for a head.

+ $110 round trip for the passenger ferry from Victoria which takes 3 hours in each direction.

I've often thought about heading there, it seems like a good option, problem is to make it worth it I would need to buy a lot more than I can carry on foot.. Could get ferry to anacortes and drive, I think thats the best way. But its $150 round trip with a car just for that ferry, it doesn't make sense unless I picked up a ton of stuff, split costs with another local or two.

Living on an island does make some things more difficult.

+ $110 round trip for the passenger ferry from Victoria which takes 3 hours in each direction.

I've often thought about heading there, it seems like a good option, problem is to make it worth it I would need to buy a lot more than I can carry on foot.. Could get ferry to anacortes and drive, I think thats the best way. But its $150 round trip with a car just for that ferry, it doesn't make sense unless I picked up a ton of stuff, split costs with another local or two.

Living on an island does make some things more difficult.

Schedule it right and I'll pick you up downtown and give ya a ride.

Schedule it right and I'll pick you up downtown and give ya a ride.

Thanks a lot for that offer, appreciated. I may take you up on that sometime. Got the head back from machine shop today, it does look good, nice and shiny :lol:

Cleaning the carbon off the pistons revealed this. Looks like mechanical damage to me? Should be ok to just smooth it off with a dremel? Using grease to stop shavings going down the bores?

P1040112.JPG

Water pump hasn't arrived, so its going back together as is, then I'll do the waterpump in a few weeks I guess. Should I remove the pump, might it interfere with the head seating? The rubber part seems to come up above the block deck height..

*THAT* my friend is what DETONATION DAMAGE looks like....*always starts
at the MARGINS* and goes DEEP before it goes WIDE....yer call bud...

if you have plans to rebuild soon...slap it together and run it til won't...
if ya wanna KEEP this engine I'd consider the future both short term
and long term...you have GOT to sort the cause in any case...
BTW...the damage gets done *BEFORE* you hear the pinking...so no
bad on your part....these days the crap for we fuel we suffer is too often
the primum movens ... I find upwards of 22% EHTANOL in a "pump gas" in
a state that "regulates the content" to 10%...such a deal....$4 USFRN per
gallon for 20% CORN squeezins that run the cost of FOOD up..dammit.....:wtf:

This was a car purchased non-running, so it may have been run on regular and pinged. Weird how it was just one cylinder (can't really be fuel related on a single carb motor, maybe a big intake gasket leak there? Thats replaced now anyway), could have got hot there after the head gasket blew? It didn't look too bad after being wire wheeled smooth, and a couple friends looked at it and said not to worry, so put it back together, this is for my girlfriend's first car, not a high performance machine.

It started first time. Ran great. No knocks or valve noise at all. Got it warm and it idled fine, pretty happy with how it ran. It was 10 pm so I drained the oil and called it a night. Oil was full of the sludge from before.

Afte filling it up again with oil and running it again, the oil is already filthy. It took me 25 mins with some engine degreaser to clean out the inside of the valve cover, the oil/coolant mixture seems to be really nasty. Should I be thinking about some kind of engine flush here? Run it with some ATF? I'm using diesel oil for detergents. I can see me spending $100 on oil and it still not being clean.. Spray something up into the pan?

Plans now are swap alternator, find some electronic ignition to ditch the points, and put an SU on instead of the stromberg.

Back