• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Spring hanging loose in the shock tower?

Randomletters

A few days ago, I started getting a loud metal on metal banging on my left front wheel over sharp bumps. I jacked up the car to take off the wheel to take a look... and discovered that even with my jack fully extended, the tire is still on the ground. I had to lift up the tire to get it off. And then I looked and discovered the top of my spring was an inch and a half below the shock tower.

Now obviously, this is not supposed to be the case, but nothing else is obviously wrong. What is supposed to keep the lower control arm from extending down too far

Also, when I put the car back down, that wheel stayed stuck up to the fully extended spring position until I pushed down on the car.

A few days ago, I started getting a loud metal on metal banging on my left front wheel over sharp bumps. I jacked up the car to take off the wheel to take a look... and discovered that even with my jack fully extended, the tire is still on the ground. I had to lift up the tire to get it off. And then I looked and discovered the top of my spring was an inch and a half below the shock tower.

Now obviously, this is not supposed to be the case, but nothing else is obviously wrong. What is supposed to keep the lower control arm from extending down too far

Also, when I put the car back down, that wheel stayed stuck up to the fully extended spring position until I pushed down on the car.

Year make model?

If it's a 240 or a 740, or any car with Mcpherson struts in the front, it sounds like the top strut nut backed off or your strut is ****ed.

See the pic below:

E530090.gif

#28 and #19 hold the spring inside the spring seats.

Last edited:
Just can't help myself from joining the guessing game. My guess. The gland nut is totally loose. That speculation works for a 240; does that also work for the 7/9 cars?

WHAT YEAR
WHAT MODEL

one more *guesstimation* for the pot:
the strut CARTRIDGE retaining nut has backed off and the cartridge
is walking up and down inside the housing...everything will be FINE
*UNTIL* such time as the cart gets jammed in the extended position and
folds the housing (God forbid the strut MOUNT at the TOP is trashed
and the bonnet will soon be sporting the tell tale DENT....hmmmmm....

the Hupmobile Model 20 uses "buggy suspension" so this sort of thing
is NOT an issue....:lol:
3915247677_f3d07329ed.jpg

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I will go look at my car in a bit, but offhand, my first guess is that the strut has just actually separated internally. It certainly is really worn out, and the strut was extending the whole time. Also, I think there was a nice oil streak down it when I checked. They certainly are due for replacement anyway.

It is an '87 240, by the way.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I will go look at my car in a bit, but offhand, my first guess is that the strut has just actually separated internally. It certainly is really worn out, and the strut was extending the whole time. Also, I think there was a nice oil streak down it when I checked. They certainly are due for replacement anyway.

Get some new shocks on order, they usually come with the gland nut and the top strut nut. I'd recommend the Billy HD's for a stock ride height vehicle.

Happened to me, let me find the thread. Be really careful when you take it apart. I think this is a more common failure than people think, the internal stop in the strut insert is the only thing keeping the whole thing together, and its impossible to get most spring compressors on while the strut is still on the car..

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264841

Happened to me, let me find the thread. Be really careful when you take it apart. I think this is a more common failure than people think, the internal stop in the strut insert is the only thing keeping the whole thing together, and its impossible to get most spring compressors on while the strut is still on the car..

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=264841

Yep, sounds exactly like my problem. Looks like I'll have to find a way to avoid oil soaking my garage. And this is my first time replacing a strut. I suppose I'll do the other side first to know the basics before jumping on this one.

Back