• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1968 122s

DEM80240WGN

Been out of the volvo game for a few years. Was finally able to find a decent 122s in my area. This is what i'm starting with:

For the most part it looks like its all there. The motor hasn't run in a few years but turns over by hand.
Where should i start? Compression test? I might need some links to source parts...

Given where you are, VP-Autoparts out of Charleston, SC is a good place. They know their parts, can help over the phone and ship fairly quickly.

Good starting point. How are the frame rails ? Given how much patching was done on the floors, I'm assuming the frame rails have had rust in the past.

Do you know how long it has sat ? HG's aren't much work on these push rod engines, it might be worthwhile to just pull the head, rebuild it and start fresh.

FWIW, some of the Ebay aluminum radiators are good, but from experience they don't line up. You'd need to work the tabs and have them re-welded.

What are your plans for it ? It looks like a good starting point.

one thing at a time.

- check spark. plugs, cap rotor, ignition wiring
- check fuel - carbs, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel tank, sender. Not much to these carbs but getting them rebuilt correctly is a "big" expense if car isnt running. rebuilt kits are about 130-150 each plus sending them out if you want to get it done right
- get a radiator and all heater hoses

see if you can get it running first then start messing with rebuilding the rest of the car - Im in the same boat as you just few steps ahead.
working on the amazon makes the 240 look complicated - what are all these wires for /rant

Got the car in the air...this is the worst of it.

Someone patched the front frame sections. I'm worried about where the subframe bolts at the front. Almost looks like i need to cut the front section of the frame/rad support away and replace it. I'm not to pleased but the car spent its entire life in canada so its expected. I'm gonna put floors in and see if i can source front frame sections.

Given where you are, VP-Autoparts out of Charleston, SC is a good place. They know their parts, can help over the phone and ship fairly quickly.

Good starting point. How are the frame rails ? Given how much patching was done on the floors, I'm assuming the frame rails have had rust in the past.

Do you know how long it has sat ? HG's aren't much work on these push rod engines, it might be worthwhile to just pull the head, rebuild it and start fresh.

FWIW, some of the Ebay aluminum radiators are good, but from experience they don't line up. You'd need to work the tabs and have them re-welded.

What are your plans for it ? It looks like a good starting point.

It sat for 3 years. I plan on running the b18 while building a b230ft for it. Lower the car with ipd poly/sways. Put on some 16x8 wheels and paint it audi dolphin grey...thanks for the tip on the rad. A local guy here told me about a canadian spot out west. www.vintageimportparts.com . They seem to have alot of parts.

Someone patched the front frame sections. I'm worried about where the subframe bolts at the front. Almost looks like i need to cut the front section of the frame/rad support away and replace it. I'm not to pleased but the car spent its entire life in canada so its expected. I'm gonna put floors in and see if i can source front frame sections.

http://212.247.61.152/us/main.aspx?page=article&artno=1201090201

Judging by the welds, that looks amateur. Click the link above for the frame rails bit needed. And if a part doesn't show in their inventory, just email them and they'll know whether it's available.

Pulled the b18 in order to lower the subframe to access the frame section in question..

And also picked up a b230ft from a 1993 940. Only 170 000 kms on it.

Gonna work with yoshifab to get most of the coversion parts ordered. Any other advice is welcome. Plans are 250-300hp with a t5 trans. Do i need pistons and rods?

Got the motor cleaned up. Oil pump is shortened...whats up with the shaft that drives the oil pump? When i had the motor fipped upsidedown with the oil seperator box off the shaft slides up and down on the aux shaft...i had to push it back down to engage the pump...whats to stop it from sliding back up and not driving the pump? Gravity?

The PCV breather will keep it from coming out although it shouldn’t move upward anyway.

You’ll definitely have to ditch that distributor, intake, and probably the oil filter relocation stuff (although you might get that last part to work).

Last edited:
The PCV breather will keep it from coming out although it shouldn’t move upward anyway.

You’ll definitely have to ditch that distributor, intake, and probably the oil filter relocation stuff (although you might get that last part to work).

Ya, i got an lh2.4 block dizzy on the way. I started going through your build thread..

Nice car! Did this year come with 4 wheel disc brakes and 5 x 108?

No Amazon ever had the 5X108 bolt pattern. You're thinking of the late model 1800's, like the E and ES. He should also have drums in the rear, unless axles were swapped.

If you’re at all interested, I have a custom intercooler that fits in the nose of the 122 that was designed for an ohc swap. Let me know and I can snap some pictures.

Back