• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

Yeah pics!
I think I stole these pics from Atom's 2 dr wagon.

Attachments

• IMG912.jpg
    IMG912.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG918.jpg
    IMG918.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 326
IMG_2149%5B1%5D.JPG

Its a revers threaded Harley Davidson flush cap welded to a piece of 2-2.25" reducer pipe shoved into a hole in the fender and welded and sealed, and a little filler to float out the seam.

Best pic I could find.... and I'm thinking that I might just want to re-do it again in the next few years, I noticed that my paint is bubbling a little bit by the rear door jamb and I suspect that my rust inhibition after welding the fender back on has failed... oh well, It'll just have to be for now, and maybe when I buy my new house (with a garage) in the spring, I can get a better look.

Last edited:
I like Atom's design too. I think I have the fab skills to pull it off as I don't think any of the external paint gets touched. Anything I paint will have fish-eyes, hair and bugs in it. I'd leave my current cap non functioning and in place for cosmetic reasons only.

lol, dont look to closely at my paint then. No fish eyes, but a couple yellow jacket stingers and wings in it now, until I finally wet sand it that is.

I don't know what it is but paint and me do not mix. Painted the original steel wheels on my wagon. I meticulously took everything down to bare metal, scuffed with 100 grit for bite, cleaned with acetone, primed, painted, used a piece of test metal to time things between coats. I did everything I knew of to get things to come out right. Not only did it collect a few hundred species of bugs, within two months paint was peeling off and rust coming up underneath.

I can't get POR15 to stick to anything. Performed a test with a bare piece of metal. Bare metal, scuffed with 40 grit for tooth, cleaned with solvent, soaked in metal prep. Applied POR15, after a few days of drying I could easily peel it off with my fingernail.

I dont clean anything with solvent/acetone anymore, too many fubard paint jobs and that was the common denominator... denatured alcohol, 50/50 isopropyl alcohol/water or if I have extra reducer that is the same compound as the primer reducer I'll use that for all my stuff.

Another thing to consider when painting is airbore contaminants... i.e. Dont paint with gas can in the room or the tank in the car if you can, and remove anything that will give off a fumes (even the paint your using)... I usually will have a vented room separate from the booth that is used for mixing and whatnot.

Last edited:
Fuel Tank and Sway Bar Powder Coated

Got the fuel tank and sway bar in from powder coating. They turned out great and didn't have to pay a dime :)

TscyZPxl.jpg

NZv0c9Ul.jpg

vdCgkMll.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
I really like your method of here.. all the worky bits first! Personally I'm all over the place! and that kid in my head is like c'mon I want to hear it run! and c'mon drive it to work already!

I tried going all over the place and it became overwhelming. I started working certain sections at a time and that helped. I look forward to getting it on the road, but that won't be till spring or summer time.

Coming along nicely.

I see you may have the same issue I do with my wagon. Gas cap cannot keep all the gas inside the tank. I have tried the OEM seal and a variety of others. What I have that works the best is a thick neoprene washer from the hardware store. Still leaks a bit when I take hard rights with a full tank. I won't even bother to fill the tank if I don't immediately plan on burning a a bunch of fuel.

Have you done anything to modify the filler neck to prevent this? Or done anything to help vent it?

Thanks,

Have you done anything to modify the filler neck to prevent this? Or done anything to help vent it?

Thanks,

I haven't modified anything short of using a much thicker neoprene seal on the cap. My tank does have a vent, albeit a crappy one.

Back