• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

An *even* cheaper wideband... SLC Free

I'll work on it this weekend. It got down to -15 and the excitation to my alternator is missing. The Subaru broke the power steering compressor mount too, so was busy doing damage control.

Got three days off and will get this going this weekend. I still need to buy the 4.9 sensor as well. Everything is parked at the solder station till this weekend. Full pics and reviews will go up soon as it goes together. Sorry to keep folks in suspense so long, and I really want to try this out.

Hi Phishnoob - You should have Bosch LSU4.2 sensor. FYI. See the link for reference:

http://wide-band.com/content/tech-info

Rick
APSXWIDEBAND

Hey evolwun - You are the inspiration of our slogan. Thanks for the hint. See it at wide-band.com.

Rick
APSXWIDEBAND

Awesome! I am still loving the product. The only quirk is that the voltage output is not-so-standard. It would be nice if it was the same voltage range as the lc-1 and the JAW. I have a gauge that I cannot use. The build quality is awesome... I would still recommend this WB over everything else I have used.

I already paid, so going to use what I got.

The kit takes a 4.9 wideband sensor. There was a choice, and I might have chosen wrong.

The dash is out today for an exciter wire alternator problem. I am going to try and fit the display in there somehow tomorrow. The kit should be finished being soldered up as well.

Hey evolwun - You are the inspiration of our slogan. Thanks for the hint. See it at wide-band.com.

Rick
APSXWIDEBAND

Awesome! I am still loving the product. The only quirk is that the voltage output is not-so-standard. It would be nice if it was the same voltage range as the lc-1 and the JAW. I have a gauge that I cannot use. The build quality is awesome... I would still recommend this WB over everything else I have used.

Hey - I'm happy for you all's budding romance, but this thread isn't about the wide-band.com products. If you want to start one of your own to discuss those products, feel free to do so, but please don't do it here. I appreciate your opinions on the quality of the 14point7 wideband, but there's a lot of evidence in the other direction suggesting that they are quite reliable. Given the simplicity of the circuit design and ease of repair, I'm inclined to believe quality will not be an issue.

Let's keep it on topic, please.

I already paid, so going to use what I got.

The kit takes a 4.9 wideband sensor. There was a choice, and I might have chosen wrong.

The dash is out today for an exciter wire alternator problem. I am going to try and fit the display in there somehow tomorrow. The kit should be finished being soldered up as well.

If you bought the 4.9 version, you'll need the 4.9 sensor. While a little bit more expensive, there are some definite advantages to the 4.9 sensor, as documented below.

http://www.ecotrons.com/technology/bosch_lsu_49_is_superior_to_lsu_42_sensors/

http://wiki.efihacks.com/index.php?title=Bosch_LSU_4.9_vs_LSU_4.2

This is the fundamental difference between the LSU 4.2 and LSU 4.9.

LSU 4.9 gets rid of the reference air, and therefore gets rid of the biggest failure mode. As a result, LSU 4.9 has a long life and can maintain the accuracy throughout the life. Only since then, Bosch LSU sensors have been used widely in the auto industries.

my wide-band.com thing broke almost immediately and was poorly calibrated.

anyway - ordering a spartan lambda thing here soon.

Any updates?

Going to finish it up this weekend. I had two bad alternators in a row and the dash apart, along with a super labor intensive new job.

The dash came out checking the excitation circuit for the alternator, and when it was out found a way to mount the display of the wideband. The boost hose somehow got disconnected during the reinstall along with the hour needle on the clock. The dash is coming out and going back in with the wideband 2nd week of March. I'll finish putting it all together this weekend.

Pics will be taken of everything. Sorry about the delays, but my initial forecast assumed my car would be running like a top with no other issues. Lots of folks want to see how my guinea pig works out.

OK, so I went ahead and ordered one of these as well. (B version, with the 4.9).

Finally started on mine today. Had a bunch to fix on the Volvo and Subie, and have them running well at stage 0 again. Winter with no garage was about survival pretty much. Soldered down the flush to the board components. Gotta pull up the instructions to make sure the rest go in as designed. Mine arrived as a kit of parts with a good silkscreen on the board but no component layout instructions.

If you source the 4.9 sensor before I do please let me know where you got it. Gotta go by the muffler shop Friday on my day off and have a bung welded into the downpipe. Got the bolt already, but don't want to take things apart to weld it at work.

Plan to install this along with the gauges as the next step on my 1000 dollar beater project.

If you source the 4.9 sensor before I do please let me know where you got it. Gotta go by the muffler shop Friday on my day off and have a bung welded into the downpipe. Got the bolt already, but don't want to take things apart to weld it at work.

I just got the sensor with the kit. Saves me the hassle of trying to find one. I'm planning on building this up so I can use it for tuning on a couple different vehicles. All three will have DP's I've made on them, so adding in the extra O2 bung won't be an issue, and I'll just build up a generic harness and enclosure for it.

Looking forward to having the kit in my hands.

I just got the sensor with the kit. Saves me the hassle of trying to find one. I'm planning on building this up so I can use it for tuning on a couple different vehicles. All three will have DP's I've made on them, so adding in the extra O2 bung won't be an issue, and I'll just build up a generic harness and enclosure for it.

Looking forward to having the kit in my hands.

Yep looking like 55-70 bucks to buy one independently. Going to get the bung in and the probe on order. Rest of the kit will be done this weekend. The display is sort of an odd shape, so need to figure out where to mount it. Wish my chick would quit smoking, then there would be a perfect spot with a modified ashtray.

Yep looking like 55-70 bucks to buy one independently. Going to get the bung in and the probe on order. Rest of the kit will be done this weekend. The display is sort of an odd shape, so need to figure out where to mount it. Wish my chick would quit smoking, then there would be a perfect spot with a modified ashtray.

Do you have the LED dimensions by chance? A simple LxW would be sufficient. It could be externally run from the main PCB without much trouble, but if it is an awkward size...

Do you have the LED dimensions by chance? A simple LxW would be sufficient. It could be externally run from the main PCB without much trouble, but if it is an awkward size...

This is the awkward part. The LED display is mounted centered on a PCB, then that PCB is designed to sit using samtec pins about 3/8" over the main board. The display face sits proud of the display board about 1/8" so it can be mounted behind a panel.

Left my calipers at work, but with the tape measure I am reading the panel size of 1" tall by 2 3/4" wide which is centered on a board that is 1 1/2" tall by 3 3/8" wide. No idea where to mount this yet, and it won't go into a gauge cluster unless it is in a ricer giant tach housing thing.

Also, this ships from Canada and mine took about two weeks. I work 4 10's which turn into 11's and 12's so cannot finish the kit until Saturday. I can lay out the parts and show the scale tomorrow night though.

Still making a last minute decision on the 4.9 sensor, as I didn't get it included (no idea why..). It doesn't come Amazon Prime, so probably going to order from Summit along with cool taps that have a socket back so they will fit in tight places to get the 99 dollar free shipping.

There is a little compartment that is next to the cigarette lighter in my '88 765 that will hold everything it looks like. Just need to fab a faceplate for it. My new job has a few mills and toolmakers that are extremely receptive to donuts.

At work late, so no chance to solder things up after work today. I want to get this thing going now!

Got half of this soldered up. The iron I ordered was too big, so got one at Harbor Freight.

The soldering iron got too hot after half the board to hold onto, but everything flows well and the kit is great quality. ROHS compliant silver solder means not quite as shiny joints as old fashioned tin lead.

Veronica is holding the board where it will go. Three gauges will go in a panel in the lower DIN hole that is temporarily filled with that compartment. A toolmaker at work is making the panel that will have a cutout for the panel and the lighter. If you have a 760 and need one let me know ASAP.

Back