• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1993 240 - CEL with AC On

mavawreck

The son of Chico Dusty
Intermittent issue with my Mom's 244. Occasionally stalls/shuts off with the AC on. Upon restart the CEL comes on and it throws the 1-4-4 'Load signal missing - control unit assumes the engine is at full load' code. My understanding is the computer changes the idle control speed when the AC is turned on but I do not know how that message is communicated and if that could be the issue.

Any thoughts?

I have no direct experience fixing this, so try at own risk.

There is a Load signal that goes directly from the LH 2.4 ECU to the EZ116K box. I think the 1-1-4 code means that the EZK box isn't seeing this signal. Pick up a can of "electronic contact cleaner" at homedepot. Disconnect the big ECU and EZK connectors (passenger footwell). Inspect the connectors carefully for signs of corrosion or bent pins. Spray them with contact cleaner then plug & unplug once while still wet (don't do it a bunch of times or you may wear out the connectors). Let everything dry for an hour (probably much less). Plug it back in and see if it helps.

Where are you located and is it a damp environment?

Thanks!

We (my dad) cleaned that connection yesterday. Pulled the computer and rechecked all connections. In Durham NC, its been a wet summer and the car hasn't been driven much lately.

AC has not been serviced lately, still blows cold. So it shouldn't be overcharged.

My 1990 240 would toss this code sometimes in the mornings. It ended up being poor connections at the battery and the fuse by the battery.

Could be, just seems load or AC related. Aside from the computer connections, is there nothing else in that signal stream that could be acting up?

Resolved: Issue was in the AC wiring, connector at firewall was loose and making intermittent contact causing the AC compressor to kick on and off .

Last edited:
Back