• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

t5 swap started

linuxman51

Railspeeder Enthusiast #1
300+ Club
After retiring the old nasty, I started the t5 swap (monday actually). I've got a few pics so far, more to come as it goes, its kinda hard to document whilst being greasy..

the old lump
39323426.jpg

Machine shop? I dont need no steeenking machine shop!
39323425.jpg

attached
39323430.jpg

The trans is up in the tunnel (test fitting), driveshaft is at volvo getting re-done (two piece baby, no angles for me to mess with). Gotta hack together a tranny mount and get another pilot bearing, the one that came with my kit was wrong (its for a vovo. t5 throwout, but vovo pilot. ah well). Looks like its gonna be fairly straight forward, however as with all things, time will certainly tell. I'm gonna try and have most everything on the car tonight (shifter, flywheel/clutch/pp/transmission) and perhaps leaving just the mount to work on tomorrow after class. then its just waiting for the driveshaft.

I'ma try n get more pics as it goes along.

oh and in case anyone's worried about the 16v car, the 350 oughta be done in a couple of days, and we've been playing with a few other bits..
39323427.jpg

thats sweet, did u order the adapter plate or make it yourself?... and if you made it do u have pics/dimensions?

I think you should at least add to it since you're putting it into a 700 series, and his was in a 242. How are you going to go about allocating the shifter? (all that talk about how the T5 shifter just barely makes the hole in the tunnel for 740's)

neurot75 said:
I think you should at least add to it since you're putting it into a 700 series, and his was in a 242. How are you going to go about allocating the shifter? (all that talk about how the T5 shifter just barely makes the hole in the tunnel for 740's)

haha the talk is right. i've gotta respace some things but the shifter is def not lined up with the hole, by a decent amount at that. i gotta aftermarket shifter setup for it tho, i'll post pics of how thats gonna floss n fly.

guidom12345 said:
That aint no turbo 16v manifold!!! ( http://www.pbase.com/kdh51/image/39323427.jpg )
Where is your JGS manifold??? Just giving you a hard time....looks good. Hope to see it running soon. I am going getrag because i know a guy who has about 100 of em and i bet he wants to get rid of em cheap.

yeah... one step at a time there killer... get the car running and then bludgeon you with it ;)

the th350 for it tho will be done tomorrow around noon..... :imperial march:

guidom12345 said:
That aint no turbo 16v manifold!!!
Those of us with sharp eyes will notice the spark plug in the water line that would feed a turbo, which we saw at SE3, and it pretty much looked the same. :-P

guidom12345 said:
linuxman51 said:
yeah... one step at a time there killer... get the car running and then bludgeon you with it ;)
So does that mean you are starting off NA??

yes, i prefer to figure entirely new things out without the immediate addition of boost. and the motor's gotta break in, along with the transmission.

towerymt said:
Those of us with sharp eyes will notice the spark plug in the water line that would feed a turbo, which we saw at SE3, and it pretty much looked the same. :-P

funny you should mention that, the car hasnt been touched aside from storage use since then...

Awesome Kenny! :) That is not a stock 16V car correct? That assumed are you using the head mounted dizzy? MSnS?

guidom12345 said:
That aint no turbo 16v manifold!!! ( http://www.pbase.com/kdh51/image/39323427.jpg )
Where is your JGS manifold??? Just giving you a hard time....looks good. Hope to see it running soon. I am going getrag because i know a guy who has about 100 of em and i bet he wants to get rid of em cheap.
Sweet. If he has that many does he want to sell them across the US!? :) I bet there are guys on here that could utilize them!

take care

So do you use a ford clutch?? or a volvo clutch i know you use the volvo pilot bearing and fork, but what about the PP and disk? or is it just a ford disk....im a little lost here, and im prolly gonna be doin this soon. Havent blown up my 300k mile junk yard M-46 (and i drive the bageezas outa my car, just ask mike or chris, hehe) but i love the way the t-5 shifts and it will be nice to have properly spaced gears....also how thick is that spacer you made?
Mark

ford throwout bearing, volvo fork slightly modified, ford disc, volvo pp and flywheel.
I didnt make the spacer, its one of v-performances pieces (and its a nice piece at that).

the 16v car is using the block dizzy to pick up the crank signal, and the dummy head dizzy to distribute the spark (at least until i blow the motor up or switch to edis). its a b230 bottom end, turbo pistons with reliefs, and a ported 16v head.

kenny, you are a pioneer in all things 740...rock on man

as soon as i get some budgeting figured out, and my +T done, i will do a T5 swap, because i dont want no stinking broken M46 to deal with

linuxman51 said:
yes, i prefer to figure entirely new things out without the immediate addition of boost. and the motor's gotta break in, along with the transmission.
That's actually a very good idea. While building this B21 that I'm doing, I've thought about starting it off N/A too, if anything just to ease with tuning in the beginning. Also during the breakin period the engine won't see toooooo much power and potential destruction if tuned wrong. Chances are I'll just leave the wastegate flapping in the wind till we get off boost tuned well and the engine has a few miles on 'er.

If the WG flapper is indeed flapping, you'll have slightly different off-boost backpressure than you'd have if the actuator was connected to the flapper, so all your off-boost tuning goes to waste. BTDT, my man...

The break-in time is a valid point - just not the tuning efforts.

Dammit that's a good point. But tuning N/A is SOOOOOOOOO easy compared to the boost always trying to come on. Well maybe we'll adjust the WG arm so it just holds the flapper shut. Should be less than 5psi, which can't be too bad.

eh it creates a backpressure difference, the only areas you'd end up having to mess with would be like 85kpa and up, and on mine all I had to really work on was the ignition timing right around 100kpa. the turbo, even with the gate flapping in the wind represents a rather large exhaust restriction anyway regardless, so the rest of the map area will be pretty close, perhaps only minor massaging required.

and yea, na they're less likely to detonate (altho even with the gate flapping in the wind you're liable to get 1-2psi in 3rd and 4th in the upper rpms)

Back