• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Street Car

Karl Buchka

Alex and I have been talking about doing a simpler project for a while. Something closer to stock that we can screw around with and not be too serious with.

We've had an '83 242DL roller sitting around and when we came across a B234f with a T5 attached, it seemed like a good opportunity to realize the idea. Alex went to California in late June, so I've been solo on this one for most of the build. I've also been working in Boston. With the car down at the shop on Cape Cod I've only been able to work on the car itself during the weekends.

So here are the basic specs:

B234f
Yoshifab rods
Ported 90+, Yoshifab adapter
Yoshifab valve springs
Shortened B234f intake manifold, 960 tb
T5wc, 4-puck disc, flat flywheel machined for 60-2
HX35, hogged out divider, enlarged internal gate
VEMS
800cc injectors
4" downpipe, 3" exhaust
4" core ebay IC

The "subject" at the shop, ready for surgery. The '83 DL is my favorite year and trim of the 240s. You get skinny bumpers, 5-panels, and no sunroof. This was originally a California car, so it's largely rust free.
photo%25202.JPG

B234f, as received. We were led to believe it was a solid engine that was ready to run. That turned out not to be the case. The valve cover was cracked and it was probably left outside for a number of months, which led to water ingress and rust on the cams and bores.
2013-05-24%252013.39.05.jpg

Alex tore the engine down and did an awesome job shortening the intake runners and porting it for a 960 throttle body.
2013-05-24%252018.39.02.jpg

2013-05-24%252018.38.46.jpg

2013-05-28%252019.43.02.jpg

Cleaned the pistons with simple green in the ultrasonic cleaner at work.
photo%25201.JPG

Yoshifab rods installed in the stock pistons.
photo%25201.JPG

The head itself is stock and has just been cleaned up. I nuked the valves in an ultrasonic cleaner and lapped them before installing them with Yoshifab springs.
photo%25203.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

Fabricated new engine mounts out of a hacked up torque rod. The vehicle side uses the front subframe pickup points.
IMG_0909.JPG

Added a 60-2 to a flat flywheel in the CNC.
photo%25201.JPG

Upskirt of the HX35. Since I'm running a 90+ I have no use for the divided housing. I roughed it out in the mill and did the cleanup with a die grinder. Also opened up the wastegate port.
photo%25205.JPG

Mounted the IC and the 7" rounds from my old car.
photo%25202.JPG

Welded up some 3" tubing for charge pipes.
photo%25205.JPG

Added a compression fitting to the pan for an oil temperature sensor.
photo%25203.JPG

Plugged balance shaft ports. Turns out a 240 wheel stud with the threads cut off makes for a nice press fit plug.
photo%25202.JPG

Stripped and painted the block.
photo%25201.JPG

Got an uncracked valve cover from Poik that I added two baffled -10 vent fittings to.
photo%25202.JPG

BMRS ProGold -10 oil return, courtesy of Homer. There's also a Swagelok fitting on the header that I'll use to log exhaust backpressure.
photo%25201.JPG

Stripped, power washed, and masked off the engine bay.
photo%25204.JPG

Went with a Yoshifab-inspired battleship gray, with black behind the slam panel and headlight surrounds.
photo%25205.JPG

4" downpipe.
photo.JPG

Mounted the VEMS, resistors, and fuse panel on a brushed sheet of aluminum. It bolts to the passenger side kickpanel.
photo%25202.JPG

Re-assembled and dressed.
IMG_0945.JPG

Re-installed.
photo%25203.JPG

photo%25205.JPG

That brings us up to date. There are tons of little jobs that aren't pictured, but for anyone wanting a more detailed look, here's a link to the gallery where I've been keeping all the photos.
https://picasaweb.google.com/109121293584501138765/FakeStreetCar242

The photos I've posted here represent the last ten weeks or so. I have worked on the car literally every single day for that period. It's been a grind. Getting the engine in is a huge milestone. I'm looking forward to getting it on the road.

Looks awesome, as always!:)
The welds on the pressurepipes are so beatiful:omg:

Any plans for suspension also?

St? p?!;-)

jeeeez... you do on one weekend where i need years for.. grml.. nice project.. :)

One question.. did you drop in in the springs right on or did you measure seatpressure and do some shiming?

Thanks guys!

any b234 240.

i have to ask, why the b234? less work than b230 besides mounts? by the way very nice! cant wait to see more!

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The B234f was there, and it's got some nice features that you don't get on a B230. I wanted to do new mounts anyway. I hate stock 240 mounts.

Looks awesome, as always!:)
The welds on the pressurepipes are so beatiful:omg:

Any plans for suspension also?

St? p?!;-)

Thanks! Suspension is up in the air right now. I'll probably get some DIY coilovers together with some manner of camber plates. Kildea has a G80 that I can probably use and I've already got a set of adjustable torque rods from Homer.

jeeeez... you do on one weekend where i need years for.. grml.. nice project.. :)

One question.. did you drop in in the springs right on or did you measure seatpressure and do some shiming?

I didn't do any shimming. I made some cursory measurements of the installed height and it looked fine, so I'm not terribly concerned.

I had better ship that muffler, huh?

Probably. :D

Back