• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Odometer Repair on a 1992 245

You can get the diameters of tires on line to compare. But what I hear is the sizes these cars came with are obsolete. Remember the speedometer accuracy and tolerance is something regulated by US DOT so if you go up to Canada, the tire sizes are just as different, but only one KM speedometer is offered for both wagon and sedan. It must fall closer to the middle range or Canada isn't so picky.

Weird stuff there.

I've noticed my speedometers are off by about 5+ mph after 60mph.

Xavier, I think I hear you. Which one is correct?
I think the trip odometer is right, the total mileage odometer seems to be going faster and faster: on a 13 miles trip this evening it gained 3-4 miles of additional difference vs the trip odometer....

Xavier

If the trip odometer reset button hasn't been pushed all the way it to reset it, the gears will skip. IOW, you could very easily see two different readings accruing.
Thank you for your response....I had reset the partial trip counter when I installed de new gear but haven't done it again precisely to see if the two counters accrue the same miles. The thing is, I believe the partial trip counter is the one showing the right miles, the total counter is adding them inaccurately too fast: this evening, on a 13 miles trip (which I know because it's a commute I've doing for many years), the total mileage counter added 16-17 miles....it is as if it was trying to compensate for the long time the odometer wasn't working at all....

Xavier

So, since the tires and all are NLA, and the gearing and rear end are all the same bt wagon and sedan, I can technically use a 1992 sedan cluster in a 1992 wagon, right!?

Yup, each manual covers both cars. I'm not sure what this means other than a 14x5.5 inch wheel. Both use a 185 (same width) but one says 70R and the other says R14..?

I'll go check the door jams.
AFAIK the 'classic' sidewall ratio that is implied when it is left off of the tire size (as int 185R14) is 82.

So it's really a 185/82/14 tire.

Just got a 1992 2405 cluster for my 1992 245 and it does not seem to be working either? Is this talk about the odometer having to reset after 1 hour of driving really true, at all?

Just got a 1992 2405 cluster for my 1992 245 and it does not seem to be working either? Is this talk about the odometer having to reset after 1 hour of driving really true, at all?

What talk? Maybe someone had an intermittent problem and he imagined what the cause might have been. There is no need to drive a certain distance to break in your speedometer.

I'm a little curious about your recent swap...

What is the symptom currently? No speedometer? That's the gauge which tells you how fast you're driving? Or just no odometer. Are you changing the entire instrument panel (cluster) or just the gauge? Too few words in your posts.:)

I swapped out the entire cluster, fuel gauge seems to be working, temp guages seems to be working and speedometer works! Bit the odometer, the one thing I bought the cluster for, is not working!

If the trip odometer reset button hasn't been pushed all the way it to reset it, the gears will skip. IOW, you could very easily see two different readings accruing.
Today I reset the trip counter (pushing all the way several times) and went on a test.....the trip counter accrued 5.3 miles (which more less corresponds to the distance I drove) yet the total counter accrued 8 "miles"......it's mind boggling I'd say. I emailed Dave Barton and he can't figure out what's going on. On another forum somebody suggested that the trip counter might be skipping somehow but (a) I checked carefully and the 1/10th digit (on white background) it's accruing units smoothly and without hesitance or stopping, and (b) the trip counter is the one that is accurate!

Any ideas? Any help will be appreciated....ultimately, if I can't do anything about it I'll take that the total counter is indeed measuring km!!! (how that happened without changing the tooth wheels on the counters themselves seems to be one more of these mysteries 240s bring from time to time......).

Xavier

So my 1993 245 has a 100% working odometer, I was going to take it out temporarily and swap it I to the 1992 to make sure it was not an issue with the wiring in the car itself, since he 1992 and 1993 cluster are interchangeable! When I went to take the cluster out of the 1993, I found this clip I had never seen before! Many sources tell me it is useless and impossible to get off without breaking!

Anyone know if they are available from Volvo or what. Part number is before I go breaking this one!?

Back