• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Discuss: VW engine swap

because it's like a lower displacement vw version of what already comes in a 240/740/940.

vw ABA-
cast iron block
aluminum head
sohc 8v
2 liter
16v head available
dead reliable

volvo b230-
cast iron block
aluminum head
sohc 8v
2.3 liter
factory turbo setups16v head available
dead reliable

Just wanted to highlight this.

The B230 and older B21/B23 engines all are very strong engine designs that you can build up to make a lot of power. Be truly different and build up what we now have great aftermarket parts for. A Volvo engine.

Thats a bit, uh, to be nice, shortsighted.:roll:

right right.... explain a little better then that please.
I'm not saying the VW engines were junk, I'm stating that with all the option out there, there are far better things to use.

Really? My '92 Corrado VR6 made ~175 hp and 170 ft/lb tq... You'd be surprised the numbers a VR6t can put out.

that motor never was that great honestly. the G80 corado was way more fun car to build and drive then the VR6. one of my least favorite 6cyl engines personally

they sort of did in the 80's but the factory installed the VW motor for you.

yeah, best engine VW ever offered are already stuck into cars that can use them well enough.
I can't think of anything but the AUDI 5cyl that is really worth while over a B23 16V. and even that isn't practical seeing as they are really scarce.

a 420A would actually make a good choice for a engine. seen internals, clutch,slicks and turbokit make a FWD neon and eclipse both break into the tens.... figuring bellhousing would be a bitch though.

tdi ..... but , it needs to be in a lighter car to make it worthwhile really , like a 340 or an amazon .

otherwise its a redblock for me , i can keep up with my brothers Z3 , in my family estate , so thats pretty good .

tdi ..... but , it needs to be in a lighter car to make it worthwhile really , like a 340 or an amazon .

otherwise its a redblock for me , i can keep up with my brothers Z3 , in my family estate , so thats pretty good .

My bone stock 90hp AHU moved my full weight 245 down the road better the NA b230. With its current mods its about as fast as the average 15g b230 car.

Yeah, I've been in a few silly fast TDI's with not much in the way of mods that still were banging out mid 40's for MPG. I would so take the hit of the 240's weight and aerodynamics for even 3/4 of that.

Yeah, I've been in a few silly fast TDI's with not much in the way of mods that still were banging out mid 40's for MPG. I would so take the hit of the 240's weight and aerodynamics for even 3/4 of that.

245s weigh less than the golf wrapper the tdi motors come in. The aero is a hit but I still get low 40s mpg all day long.

How much do used TDI setups cost?

I paid 3k for my engine/wiring harness/ecu in 2007. They seem to be around 2k now. Diesel stuff is not cheap. VW stuff is not cheap. VW diesel stuff is zomg expensive.

Here's the factory VW conversion;
S6301563.JPG

Back