• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pdx dl

I read through this entire thread (took me 2 days). Looking back on why I did this, I like how you tackled one issue at a time and learned your way through the car (and still learning, god help you with the dash out). Learned a few things, can never know enough about these cars. I actually had this same care (a white 240 wagon), and had a similar experience where I started with not much and ended up with something I was proud of and trusted. I actually sold it for as much money as I had into it (that never happens, could not pass up the offer).

All that being said, I want to point out something important. If you end up moving to DC or wherever the move may be, dont just dump the car for 1500 on CL and call it a day because its convenient with your move. Store it behind if you cant take it and worry about it later (3m, 6m down the line). Or drive it there (risky, hard on time with your family). I would recommend sending it on a trailer perhaps with a carrier company. 500? 1000? Hold onto it, don't make any quick decisions. The sentiment with this base model DL is quite special.

I like how you removed the trim/molding early on, it did clean up well later on when you remove the adhesive

I'll store it for you. By the time you get it back it will be scrapping the ground pushing 350whp and painted.

I read through this entire thread (took me 2 days). Looking back on why I did this, I like how you tackled one issue at a time and learned your way through the car (and still learning, god help you with the dash out). Learned a few things, can never know enough about these cars. I actually had this same care (a white 240 wagon), and had a similar experience where I started with not much and ended up with something I was proud of and trusted. I actually sold it for as much money as I had into it (that never happens, could not pass up the offer).

All that being said, I want to point out something important. If you end up moving to DC or wherever the move may be, dont just dump the car for 1500 on CL and call it a day because its convenient with your move. Store it behind if you cant take it and worry about it later (3m, 6m down the line). Or drive it there (risky, hard on time with your family). I would recommend sending it on a trailer perhaps with a carrier company. 500? 1000? Hold onto it, don't make any quick decisions. The sentiment with this base model DL is quite special.

I like how you removed the trim/molding early on, it did clean up well later on when you remove the adhesive

Hey, thanks. Great insight / much appreciated.

As my family will attest, I have long struggled with hanging on to stuff. I've had dirt bikes, loved them but run out of time to play, and sold them. Had hot rods, broke them and run out of money to fix them, and sold them. I don't seem to do well with things that sit around. I'm aware of the defect (impatience) and am working to address. The DL has been good, as access is good (out in the garage or chatting on TB) and the cost reasonable.

I would love to do the coast to coast road trip in the car. Camp in the back. Take the roads less traveled. That would be awesome.

My perception is that most non-car (normal?) people don't put much value the satisfaction of improving a car then driving it someplace. While the trip and the destination are vital, the thrill of using something you fixed is more so (to me).

Soo, going forward. I still have a "list" of stuff to fix. And winter busyness is just around the corner. But I am conscious of the fact that I will need "direction" for the next stage of Volvo fun. Now that she's approaching reliability and functionality, what next? Fix the body? Plus T the motor? T5 trans? The heater effort has reminded me that the task should (when possible) be interesting / fun. I've been at low point with the car as I soldier on with (or flat ignore) a task I don't enjoy.

Cheers.

Unless you break the cardinal rule "only one not running vehicle at a time", break that and your prowess moves its a$$ to the couch.

Can confirm, I'm currently at 3.

....but she likes my running ones and that I keep hers running so I'm somehow miraculously in her good books.

OH I KNOW WHY....none of the non-runners are in the driveway:lol:

Hey, thanks. Great insight / much appreciated.

As my family will attest, I have long struggled with hanging on to stuff. I've had dirt bikes, loved them but run out of time to play, and sold them. Had hot rods, broke them and run out of money to fix them, and sold them. I don't seem to do well with things that sit around. I'm aware of the defect (impatience) and am working to address. The DL has been good, as access is good (out in the garage or chatting on TB) and the cost reasonable.

I would love to do the coast to coast road trip in the car. Camp in the back. Take the roads less traveled. That would be awesome.

My perception is that most non-car (normal?) people don't put much value the satisfaction of improving a car then driving it someplace. While the trip and the destination are vital, the thrill of using something you fixed is more so (to me).

Soo, going forward. I still have a "list" of stuff to fix. And winter busyness is just around the corner. But I am conscious of the fact that I will need "direction" for the next stage of Volvo fun. Now that she's approaching reliability and functionality, what next? Fix the body? Plus T the motor? T5 trans? The heater effort has reminded me that the task should (when possible) be interesting / fun. I've been at low point with the car as I soldier on with (or flat ignore) a task I don't enjoy.

Cheers.

I will be chewed out for this, but adding a plus T did add some unnecessary complexity to my otherwise reliable car. oil, coolant lines, extra heat, not much power with my 13c turbo from 940 turbo. I would recommend a plus T but at the same time maintaining a vehicle takes priority in your case. sounds like your gearbox is still holding up. i have had luck with my m47 even with turbo

E-codes. A guy in Europe has the lights, signals, trims, wiring for $300. But his seller review is so-so.

Came across this great HID thread.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=318235

And then went to FCP.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-e-code-headlight-assembly-left-240

Thoughts / suggestions? Worth the effort?

If you can somehow get E-Codes for less than that, go for it! I know I want em. The big thing with the halogens is to make sure you're getting as much voltage to the plug as possible. Bulbs are designed to be run at 13v. I am in the process of planning out my attack plan for rewiring and utilizing extra relays to get the most out of the halogens.

Last edited:
Back