• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Dash Top 3-Gauge Pod Mods

dbarton

Dejected by Volvo Corp.
As a follow up to the group buy found here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=332614

I have begun modifying my gauge pod to make it better. My intention is to make it closer to looking like what it should be.

If you've forgotten what a REAL Dash Top Triple Gauge Pod looks like, I've posted a pic below along with the group buy product I bought.

EDIT March 29, 2019: Preview pics of my finished modded pod below bottom pic . . .
More pics after post #95

Also I have created a project page in my web site consolidating all this along with more info.
https://www.240turbo.com/dashgaugepod.html

Dave B.

Attachments

• 3gaugepod3a.jpg
    3gaugepod3a.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 651
  • podcopy2a.jpg
    podcopy2a.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 654
  • repropod64.jpg
    repropod64.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 87
  • repropod71med.jpg
    repropod71med.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Here's what I have done so far.
(and of course what I began with below it)

More to follow . . . .

Dave B.

Attachments

• repropod1a.jpg
    repropod1a.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 652
  • podcopy2a.jpg
    podcopy2a.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
thanks, i got a gb one and am planning to make a a 3 gauge cluster fit in it

Turns out the original 240 upper in-dash 3 gauge cluster is way too wide to fit in this opening. It would need a lot of cutting and sectioning. So. . . I'll be making MY OWN 3 gauge setup closer to the look of an original dash top pod. A lot of work and experimentation, but I think it'll turn out decent.

Here I have cut some 1/4 inch PVC plastic from McMaster Carr to fit inside the front frame. Most of the cutting/trimming so far has been done with a sawzall, small hack saw, bench grinder, tin snips, a few files and a sanding block. I keep saying I need a belt sander. Someday.

The bench grinder is great for shaping this PVC plastic though.
Dave B.

Attachments

• repropod3.jpg
    repropod3.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
I used two-part Gorilla clear epoxy for plastics to glue it in, then sanded it smooth. This should give it a proper overhang similar to the original.

Dave B.

Attachments

• repropod4.jpg
    repropod4.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 621
  • repropod5.jpg
    repropod5.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
This brace was glued on to straighten out the back. There was a rather ugly warp back there. Now ruler straight. It's also made from 1/4 inch PVC from McMaster Carr.

The PVC can be found here: https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3637/=1ajvxvt
PN 8747K114. 12 x 12 inches. About $10 plus shipping. They have lots of thicknesses and sizes.

Dave B.

Attachments

• repropod6.jpg
    repropod6.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 608
Last edited:
Nice! I was planning this too. Got some extra bits from Adam that were either trimmed wrong or not cut. Actually, I haven't opened the package yet :oops: what with xmas putting up lights and such...

Thanks.

Now things get tricky.

Here's the face plate that will get three 2 inch holes cut into it. EDIT: These holes later changed to 1 7/8 inch. Again, made from 1/4 inch PVC. After cutting the holes, I plan to cut bevels inside the holes. This will be tricky, since I don't have a machine shop. I do have some long shank porting bits. It will take some innovation to see if I can lock a drill down at the right angle (probably in my vise) and then work slowly grinding bevels. We'll see.

There will be a second piece behind this one that will also get three holes to hold the gauges.
Dave B.

Attachments

• repropod7.jpg
    repropod7.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
Looking good, Dave. What epoxy/glue/adhesive are you using?

Good question. It's a simple 2-part epoxy for plastics, metals, etc., clear, made by Gorilla. Says it sets in 5 minutes. That's a lie. I've been leaving it clamped for 24 hours and so far I'm getting good strong bonds.

Dave B.

gorilla_epoxy_clear_white_bg.jpg

Last edited:
So now I'm thinking a router would be a much better choice for the beveling. Don't have a router and I don't want to buy one for this one project never to be needed again. So maybe I can manage putting a router bit in a drill.

Dave B

Attachments

• routerbit.jpg
    routerbit.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Router shmouter. 2" holesaw in a drill press, use a dremel and bevel that's a hair shorter than the thickness of your material. Go slow and give your family benadryl so they're too drowsy to sneak up and startle you...

Like I have a drill press. Hahahaha. Maybe when I get around to buying a belt sander.

I do have a Dremel though. I'll look at bevels.
Dave B

Last edited:
Drill press shmrill press... Get your corded drill and ziptie it to a panini press, give your family benadryl...

As a follow up to the group buy: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=332614

I have begun modifying my gauge pod to make it better. My intention is to make it closer to looking like what it should be.

If you've forgotten what a REAL triple gauge pod looks like, I have posted a pic below along with the group buy product.
Dave B.

Darn Dave! You post this and you got me thinking! Doing 3 is not much harder than doing one. Hint hint!, serious

Darn Dave! You post this and you got me thinking! Doing 3 is not much harder than doing one. Hint hint!, serious

Once you get it down and it comes out nice, it would certainly makes sense to do more as long as you still have patience and a couple extra starting pieces. If you plan on selling, I think you'll have buyers. Is there a profit to be had? Maybe, depending on what you have to buy. But I'm only doing this one for now.
Dave B

Last edited:
Back