• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Total Loss of Power + Rough Idle (91 Volvo 240)

Thank you, FamilyMan. I really appreciate your taking the time to share all that info. It can be hard to find time for car work through the week ... I'll try and run through your advised tests/troubleshooting tomorrow after work and get back with you. 'till then ...

As for the radiator, thanks for the heads up ... I'll add that to my list of things to replace! Thanks.

Click my sig.

I'm expected to diagnose a no start in about 18 minutes! I usually can. I think I worked on about 12 cars today.

Spark?

Fuel injector pulse? Many many ways to check this. Test light, voltmeter, noid light, screwdriver!!!

Last edited:
Now if only you had a sig, LOL. ;-p

It only shows up once per page on this board. Look up.

Fuel pressure is difficult to measure on these cars, but it's not really a hugely common issue. What mostly goes wrong on these old cars is electrical. Poor connections at fuses and connectors, at the coil for example, degraded wiring, cough, (huge pic), and tank pump and tank transfer hose. And fuel pump relay, fender mounted positive wire junction block, etc.

These cars are really great to learn the core diag skills. It just takes more time than the 18 minutes it took me today to swap a coil pack from hole 6 to hole, say three, and monitor the scan tool data to see if the misfire followed the coil swap, which it did. :/

Ok so reading tgis long thread, well re scanning it, sounds like you have low fuel volume, lean issue, or likely an ignition issue. Failure to accelerate or hard start reeks of ignition misfire or poor fuel delivery.

I would first see how it starts on ether (old car with ****ty OBD).. if it pops right to life, suspect fuel issue. If it still can't light ether, or fuggin brake cleaner, maybe look towards arcing plug wires. Get good bougicord wires, Bosch cap and rotor, ngk copper plugs, capped correctly, and see if it cleans up the hard start and poor accel.

1993+ fuel rails have a Schrader valve on them, which makes measure fuel pressure easier. And gotta check it snap throttle and under a load. Idle fuel pressure is just a glimpse of the picture.

Last edited:
Back