• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Water on the driverside floor? 85 240 wagon

joedirt

Hopefully sometime this summer I want to tackle some body work. I noticed a bit of water on the driverside of the floor. Its been snowing and raining pretty heavily around here and I dont drive the car at the moment so its leaking inside somehow.

Are there some common areas that leak I can address before I do any type of body work??

Thank you guys!

Usually that is a leak around the windshield. It can also be the pivots for the windshield wipers. There is also a seam under the fender that is covered with sealer that can dry up causing a leak, but you have to remove the fender to get to it.

Just look underneath and see where the water is coming in from.

If it's currently dry use a hose to start it flowing.

Should be pretty obvious.

The remedy for several of my customers was to remove the debris that accumulated inside the rockers that was blocking the rocker drains. The debris, usually from trees, works it way down from the air intake grille in front of the windshield and ends up inside the rocker panels.

To access the inside of the rockers:

Remove the door sill cover

Remove the carpet retaining pins if still present and fold carpet away from inner rocker to expose the inner rocker plastic plugs, you may have to partially remove the kick panel

Remove the plastic plugs and clear the debris

I use a shop vacuum with a reducing adapter and a smaller hose which I can push into the holes for the plugs.

^^ That all sounds very familiar. I would just add that if you want a larger hole, you can unbolt the bucket that the seat belt reel is mounted in.

Sssshhhhh... absolutely not. See sig.

Also, when cleaning out the rockers, don't forget to clear the drains in the pinch weld at the bottom.

IMG_5986-M.jpg

IMG_5977-M.jpg

IMG_5978-M.jpg

110-M.jpg

EX-cellent illustration of the issues. When I have removed all the large stuff, I run water from the hose into the cowl vent to flush out all the remaining silt, and I watch the water come out of the drains, as shown above.

Thanks guy, I will be most likely pulling out the carpets this summer and at least doing the floors/rockers/windshield and seal. I def need to address this stuff so it doesnt happen again in a few years. New England is not nice to cars.

Back