• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 745 GL/T V8

kimbo

Volvo 745 GL/T-90 +T

So i finally decided to make a project thread here of my swedish brick.
The project started with a free 745 90 "GLT" i got from a friend and a b23et block
i bought from another friend :lol: This was winter 2015 i started small with the engine.
And i got le car late 2016 but the process of putting it together,
started 2017 because other projects, so from here i got some goodies for the engine, Spec down below.

I know the car is dirty so i dont want to hear anything about it :cool:

engine:
B23et block
530 head not ported just milled
axt-275 cam
R-injectors
3" maf
0.9 bar of boost rips second gear on dry asphalt :)
kl crappy chips for injectors and maf
m46 sinter 6-puck 215mm and oem plate

I am going to register the car with turbo so it need to be as stock it can be
before i give it more speedparts and the things done to it now will not be
any problem to make it pass inspection.

But things i have waiting for it when its registered is:
Schwitzer s2b turbo
hks copy of 40mm wastegate
homemade exhaust manifold
578cc low resistance injectors
fekzen custom chips for another redblock but almost the
same as mine and E85
ported 530 head with stiffer springs
712 pressure plate and a 6-puck sinter 228mm

Interior:
colour black
half leather front seats
power windows in front will install rear later
power mirrors
765 fluff panels A-pillars and over front/back doors
and a pioneer avh-5700dvd as entertainment with stock speaker
for now
black headlamp headliner list in front around mid rear viewmirror and sunblockers
i dont know the word and i dont care :wiggle:

exterior:
us spec front signal/turn lights
us fender badge not mounted yet beacuse we need to have fender turnlights here :cries:
eggcrate grill
oem tail lights in sunk condition
945 trunk handle will get some paint before i mount it
Borbet A 17*8.5 ET13 and 17*10 ET20

Some pictures from the beginning to the end
all pics isn't the best quality :raincloud:

Fresh new paint on it
3YDkb3G.jpg

New W-pump and headgasket i think it's 2 years ago
so i cant remember everything
rcPeSie.jpg

Axt cam installed
VgekNpE.jpg

Picked up the shell at my friends place
PXoszLZ.jpg

In the garage
72LTPKk.jpg

Test started but it didnt work for long
NUQRQ5l.jpg

From the beginning i planned to have a flat flywheel that came of a 740 gle 85
but my 2.4 ring from an auto "flywheel" didnt got centered so it smashed my
vr sensor. Therefore we changed to a 2.4 wheel for the moment. I plan to use the flat
one at a later time if i dont make my 2.4 standard F-wheel flat instead.
wt8dP7v.jpg

So after the incident with the flywheel i prayed to redblock jesus for guidance that
the engine would start after the tragic event that occured with my vr sensor and it did.
JjIVlQd.jpg

So when it started and were driveable i took car of the boring brakes and i hate old brakes :gtfo:
It was one legged so i got hold of a g80 locker complete axle so i grinded almost all rust of it and sprayed with a paint gun beacuse i hate rust too :rofl:
And also fitted a swaybar from a turbo car beacuse i didnt have one in the back.
mcHuvGE.jpg

Boring brakes done and so i continued with more fun stuff :oogle:
My father gave me a set of wheels but they where not 5*108 and will not
fit any 740 with spacers maybe the front rims but not the rear ones .. But i like them so i drilled the hubs 5*114.3 instead
3pmxT2c.jpg

So now i can fit my borrbs on the car but a 5mm spacer in front will prolly do it.
When i change the tires to 215-40 instead of 235-40. rim is 17*8.5 ET13
7bm9iDO.jpg

My first outside pic of le car in the beautiful swedish summer :roll:
Of course us spec turn/signal lights is a must here in sweden so i ordered a set of em.
And a snowcap found its place on the car, also its stock length on the springs
s3Qcs3t.jpg

Another future project for the engine done pic 1
NGdculL.jpg

Future project pic 2 got the idea from another one of this forum..
Saw his head with this made to it for a long time ago but i can't remember who :oops:
Bad ligthing bad pictures sadly
bblu3Nm.jpg

235-40 will perhaps be better than 255-45 sneek peak 1
iLZmwG6.jpg

Sneek peak 2
YwPuqv3.jpg

And now it was time for my drive axles to be redrilled in the right pattern.
pGeKBSw.jpg

Same day it was put together its tight but its perfect same on other side :lol:
YVotwo1.jpg

And here i am.. Beacuse it didnt started last time i was going to take it in to work on it i havent done more but test fit of back wheels is done after so long time :roll:
springs chopped 1.5 coils on all 4 and no air in front tires so let the rake be.
VqtQTcQ.jpg

Things iam going to do in near future is to change taillights beacuse they are sunk, Next is
making the bumpers black again and paint them i dont know what its called in usa
but in sweden its classic or GLE painted bumpers.
And of course chopping the springs and cut n weld my panhard bar for getting the rearaxle in center when lowered If not my rims will scrape. It's even going to get a shower
when its warmer outside and the winter is done!.

Sorry for my bad grammers but swedish is my first lang :blah: excuses

Some videos of my car is on this page TeamBr??let on facebook even some of my friends cars.

I will update as often it happens something to le car over and out.

Last edited:
Awesome, looking forward to seeing the future mods. Mine is also on borbets but a smaller size. I figured they're a tiny bit like Geminis so they don't look out of place.

Awesome, looking forward to seeing the future mods. Mine is also on borbets but a smaller size. I figured they're a tiny bit like Geminis so they don't look out of place.

hehe okey thanks. Yeah i want to se what the lh 2.4 can give me hp wise.. but a standalone will probably find its place later on...

felt it was time to work on my own car for once

So i finally got some work on le car done not much to do for now
but at least something. I had a hard time to get it to start when i tried to get
in the garage last time i tried. Atleast it was a easy fix but i dont understand
how my cam had moved almost a half turn. so just undid the timing belt and put it right and it started on first try :oops:

I did change my taillights and put some stock indicators in front. and 1 coil each in the rear just fell off too but will be more later on :rofl: and now some pics will come beacause text is boring!!

2 pics before and third is after
JUShjYA.jpg

RQfhQec.jpg

vbc0VGW.jpg

No rust :clap:
xhhNVgq.jpg

some cleaning and a touch of bumper shine can do much.
u4GXRdF.jpg

So next on to do list is chop more springs front and back cut n weld the cross bar
for centering the rear axle so the rimps can sit nice in the middle. and injectors will be changed 578cc and kl racings 3" and r-injector chip didnt like each other that much

Thats it for now more to come maybe next weekend time will tell :cheers:

edit: how do i change topic??

Last edited:
just a quickie

Not much of an update but felt to post something :D
haven't done much with any of my cars for a while now
but i have atleast changed injectors so the car runs decent
and is inspection "legal" :cool: and it's lowered more but it is still too high
i will make the panhard bar adjustable before i lower it more

and i was going to wash it last time but there was not enough water in the "well" or
what its called so that was a no go sadly

TUnd6Hs.jpg

EDwxW0I.jpg

EkRG6Ya.jpg

cFzLbDZ.jpg

clutch and wash

got some work on the car and for the car done last week :)

a friend and i washed the car at his work becuase it was water shortage were i store it
and i dont like the result before it was redish now its pink :-( haha
but will polish it and see how the result turns out otherwise it will get a respray.

And the other thing i did was making a 712 pressure plate from a m90 fit
my m46/47 flywheel need to mill some more and bore holes for the plate pins and its done :)

and why dosn't my topic change i did that almost when i posted the thread but nothing have happened. anyone? (i didnt like it almost immediately after i posted it)

as long its wet its red.
f6T1lFg.jpg

gs8jXBU.jpg
eZSNSU9.jpg

quick update

havent done much to the car lately but i have changed rims/tires just beacause i dont want it to sit on my nice rims this winter..
that was all enjoy your style of rim and tires :rofl:

fORFfW8.jpg

a little bit of progress.

Finally done with my flywheel took a bit longer than planned
but now its only to put it on the car left :)

and i have to make an adapter for the throwout bearing since this plate is not as tall
as a standard m46/47 plate.
it is a 712 plate and a 6-puck sinter for those who are interested to know :oogle:

the finish could probably be better but it is the first time i have done something like this!

O8qdssb.jpg

nY5W48W.jpg

t5Es1DE.jpg

back to N/A

Havent been active on this forum for a while. But the car has been a problem for a long while and the motivation to do something to it hasn't been on top the struggle has been very real but now it started to be nice to me again :lol: so i will continue to work on it now.

The first crank gear was broke bought a new one broke that too and now i am at my third and perhaps last one and this time its installed correctly, And since b23 and b230 is different and i haven't played with b23s that much but who cares misstakes are made to learn more about things anyway :pow::cool:

But got the gear sorted and it still wouldn't start, begun to investigate the problem and found out that my plugs were dead after countless tries... I had spark on another plug but i was stupid to not test the ones in the car but changed those and it finally started :clap:

And since our engine swapping laws/rules sucks here i have made it N/a for the time being so it can pass the inspection without re register the engine type for now :rofl:
it will get the turbo back when it pass inspection :cool:

but some pics is always fun

And if a mod reads this thread i would like to change the name of the thread to Volvo 745 GL/T+T Project

third and last crank gear and i swapped oil pump axel to my 240 so i bought a new gasket for it
4PMulTm.jpg

started to make it N/a and piece it together
JY24EDS.jpg

and i finally made a test polish on passenger side this is before :)
YAWlfXh.jpg

and out in the open after some polish turned out really good now the rest of the car left :zzz:
XkuL5MR.jpg

and from the front. still need to heat the bumpers rear almost done but need to do front soon to.
UhWztUY.jpg

and some under action fixing the exhaust had to weld lambda bung an put it together but the conical ring between the "downpipe" and cat was missing but found one at my storage so will get that done next time
AyKiU6v.jpg

Over and out!

more things done

It's been a while since last post.. haven't done much but atleast something to the car.
And Tuesday last week i got the heating gun loaded and did some bumper maintenance,
beacause 740 90s bumper gray aren't that cool :oogle: so i took some outdoors pics when i
was done for the day...

i had an issue with the tps so de lambda light came on and the fix was to adjust the tps,
i had the throttle body apart when i put new gaskets in on the engine :oops: but now its almost nothing left to with it before inspection is done,
so i probably need to dig out my next car just so i have something to do :zeeall: (86-744-TIC)...

Finally i grinded down my lugnuts so the centre caps on the rear wheels would fit and sit
straight.

So next time it's playing time in the garage i will "build" a new exhaust because thats on the car is borrowed just for a engine swap registration that never happened :rofl:
and some more work with polish/rubbing and it should be mint again :roll:

JqfWht9.jpg

and i got a 945 tailgate handle :rockon:
E8xrnVr.jpg

long time no see.

Long time since i posted something here... Moved the car to a new garage in january so i could have it inside all the time and don't have to bother moving it in or out.
not that much have happened since last time but i have fixed the brakes all around they were junk, i had a idle problem i fixed recent (broken air inlet hose) made a harness for the rear reading lamps (760 lamps) and i polished the car a fair bit not done yet but soon it will be :lol: more things have been done but nothing worth mention :bummies:

And i still want the name of the thread changed to something else like Kimb0s Volvo 745 GL/T-90 Project

In the new garage locked away :cool:
kmOa6rr.png

While fixing the brakes i found some rust that will not pass inspection and i have no welder yet so will be fixing it as soon as possible :rant:
Wq9XbDy.jpg

First and only time i will ever do a caliper renovation
0QxPnCG.png

tried a different colour because i dont like red calipers :rofl:
Oap4AWU.png

when i collected some other parts i took this turbo with me for inspirational use in the new garage :lol: and it will be used in the red car or my 740 tic
jhaHkxi.png

started polish the front end. And from pink to red again feels pretty good :wiggle:
I have more to polish but its getting in the right direction at least
WdHqqYx.jpg

the hood, front fenders, driver side over the trim, and the roof is polished
will need to clean it up and buy a better polish compound for the next round :)
yH5in1m.png

And last my new engine i bought in september this year for the red car.! :zeeall:
sRel2aK.jpg

Nice another red 745 on here, small block swap?

Yeah been here for a while but don't post on the regular :roll:

it's a smallblock magnum 5.2 the 5.9 isnt that common here in sweden so i got what i could since im no chevy or ford guy :lol:

Cool something different from the regular swap, any benefits to a Chrysler engine compared to the regular small block choices?

probably none but i prefer mopar more so thats what i went for.. :roll: and its no fun to ls swap when a ls cost 4500k+$ in sweden from the junkyards..

I didn't know Chrysler still made a 5.2 liter V8. That's basically the same size as the old 318ci from the sixties. Those were my favorite Chrysler engines of the sixties. I would see them in Darts and Lancers when I was a kid. They had the cool push button automatic trannys but I prefer the manual versions of all that old stuff.

Wish you well with the swap. :party:

I didn't know Chrysler still made a 5.2 liter V8. That's basically the same size as the old 318ci from the sixties. Those were my favorite Chrysler engines of the sixties. I would see them in Darts and Lancers when I was a kid. They had the cool push button automatic trannys but I prefer the manual versions of all that old stuff.

Wish you well with the swap. :party:

Thanks!. its a magnum and those came out in 92 to 02 almost the same but some changes were made to them.
This will be manual in the first form but will change to auto when i put a turbo on it :)

have put some work on the car again, removed the old redblock and put in my smallblock.
I got hold of a auto trans so i went with that instead less work than going with a manual box.

One piece of 904 trans with the converter that i bought
i looked for a 727 but the one my uncle had missed some parts so i went with this one
yXy7Aks.png

Had som water inside but it wasn't too bad after some cleaning :oogle:
BAuWmSf.png

I will take the valvebody apart when i take the engine and trans out next time and do a proper cleaning
of the inside too. And as i am a fabricator i think of doing my own oil pan for it too but we have to se if i have time for that.
e1R9Jfb.png

Out with the old.
zXEom4H.png

Before
nzbRQFY.png

After
2LAA6lY.png

So now i'm waiting for some aluminum Before i can put the intake on. (making a Tunnelram like intake)
But i still have to make engine mounts and trans mount so there is things to do anyway
UWR8Y8q.png

Back