• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MountainMeet 2k16, 9/29-10/2/2016

So what's the story with grilles and other cooking equipment at the lodge? Seems like I read that there is a grille, but that means it could be anything from a real grill to some pieces of rebar across a fire pit.

So what's the story with grilles and other cooking equipment at the lodge? Seems like I read that there is a grille, but that means it could be anything from a real grill to some pieces of rebar across a fire pit.

There's a large charcoal grill there, and a full kitchen inside. I've got quite a bit of meat in the freezer I will start thawing the week before. Kenny's bringing the egg to tackle that.

0amYIkdl.jpg

I'll try and find a hunk o steel to throw on that grill and use part of it as a griddle.

Looks like there's also a grill/fire pit beside the picnic table.

Anyone who's coming from my neck of the woods Maryland included) What route are you taking? I'm torn between 95-85-40, or just taking 40 the whole way down.

Edit:// 40 has tolls, **** that noise.

dafuq you talkin' 'bout dawg. I've been on 40 from the TN line to 95 and there are no tolls. I think there are some spurs of/loops around 40 in the Raleigh area that have tolls, and maybe Greensboro as well, but not on 40 itself.

edit:// if you're in fredricksburg, **** the interstates, take 3 into culpeper then hit 29 south and take it straight down to greensboro and pick up 40 there. Way less traffic, way prettier drive.

dafuq you talkin' 'bout dawg. I've been on 40 from the TN line to 95 and there are no tolls. I think there are some spurs of/loops around 40 in the Raleigh area that have tolls, and maybe Greensboro as well, but not on 40 itself.

edit:// if you're in fredricksburg, **** the interstates, take 3 into culpeper then hit 29 south and take it straight down to greensboro and pick up 40 there. Way less traffic, way prettier drive.

That sounds like a plan. Honestly, when it's an 8 hour drive anyway what's another 20 mins?

Also I really want to go, but because job, it means parking the truck near somebody who's going and hitching a ride (I'll pay my share of gas) and I'm not sure how I feel about leaving the truck some random place and taking off for a couple of days, leaving it potentially hundreds of miles away. Jared, is there a proper truck stop in/around Franklin? I know I'm not taking this thing anywhere near the meet location, 'cause if you take a truck on those little mountain roads, you're gonna have a bad time

Also I really want to go, but because job, it means parking the truck near somebody who's going and hitching a ride (I'll pay my share of gas) and I'm not sure how I feel about leaving the truck some random place and taking off for a couple of days, leaving it potentially hundreds of miles away. Jared, is there a proper truck stop in/around Franklin? I know I'm not taking this thing anywhere near the meet location, 'cause if you take a truck on those little mountain roads, you're gonna have a bad time

The closest truck stop I can think of is over in Canton, exit 37 off 40.

HOWEVER, there's plenty of room in the parking lot of where I work. We're moving into a huge facility at 324 Industrial Park Road, Franklin. The truck could be parked there if you didn't want to leave it in Canton. AFAIK, there's no security cameras, but the parking lot is lit at night, and there are trucks that park there on the regular.

I have been to that TA, as well as the Pilot up the road a few miles, and I would feel far better about leaving it at your workplace, given that the unwashed general public isn't going to be meandering about, as truck stops do tend to attract some shady types at times. I don't even like to leave the truck at the truck stops in Davenport when I go home for a night, but the company has not yet found a secure parking option for me.

And of course, all of this is contingent on them even being able to get me into that area. My sig is outdated as I no longer drive for Crete, I now work for a large food company's small private fleet. I still go wherever they send me, but I'm not really doing a true national thing anymore. Mostly Midwest and a fair bit of Northeast with a few east coast and southeast outposts and the occasional load to Texas or Denver.

route question:
23 to 107 (thro franklin) the best way? or 85 to 281? looks like 85 to 281 may actually be better, but I dunno what all is out that-a-ways

route question:
23 to 107 (thro franklin) the best way? or 85 to 281? looks like 85 to 281 may actually be better, but I dunno what all is out that-a-ways

Honestly Kenny I would take 85/985/23 just to stay the **** outta South Carolina, but that's just me.

I agree.. Stay outta SC.. I think the speedlimit in SC is like 55 or 60 on 85..

route question:

Like Cullen said, personally, I'd avoid SC. I like the 23-64-107 route you found, but if you've got time, 19-76-64 up through NW Georgia is also a really nice ride, but 985-23 is a lot more direct.

you get off of 85 at the boarder, and head up the corner(that rhymed a little much), it would put the "bulk" of the trip on 85 (not that I'm really afraid of getting lost, just from a relative speed perspective)

Like Cullen said, personally, I'd avoid SC. I like the 23-64-107 route you found, but if you've got time, 19-76-64 up through NW Georgia is also a really nice ride, but 985-23 is a lot more direct.

I'm thinking more along the lines of first long road trips for two cars (one more of a concern than the other) hahahaha

altho I gotta say, as hot as it was this weekend, the greenie didn't even break a sweat, coolant temps never got over 181. reminds me, gotta call about my rear(end).

That is a good idea, 29 in southern virginia is an awesome drive.

Back