• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1974 144: Racekor Edition

After getting further into this I have found that the wiring harness is pretty much trash, so I may be making another one sooner rather than later.

I decided to check for myself instead of trusting the emails I have about gearing, looks like the car has been swapped to 4.27s since the autocross on the west coast had it! Which also means it may be making more power than I originally thought. If everything goes to plan it will be on the dyno and scales in the morning, I will post results as soon as I have them!

I've been seriously slacking on keeping up with this thread (also have one on a race forum I'm a member of that is much more travelled).

Basically 2 months later and the car is done!

List of improvements:
-Cage modified to meet modern standards
-New seat installed
-Window nets installed
-Drivetrain cleaned, regasketed, checked over
-New radiator installed
-Tow hooks added
-Fuel pump/regulator swapped to correct ones for these carbs
-Cage painted
-Fuel cell mounting painted
-Oil catch can installed
-Brakes gone through
-New exhaust built and installed

Fun facts:
-Car weighs 2037lbs with 2 gal of fuel in it.
-Makes roughly 120whp as it sits, but mad torque down low
-Fitting a halo seat in one of these is stupid easy

Photo as it sits:
IMG-3954.jpg

I'm sure I'm missing a near infinite number of things in that list, but the gist of it is... the car is ready for W2W racing! It will be at Road Atlanta for Gridlife, competing in the Gridlife Touring Cup in two weeks. I am beyond stoked to give this car another lease on life. Lets go have some fun!

Last edited:
We may get some footage from our shakedown today at a local place, but there will definitely be plenty from Gridlife! They actually livestream the races on the website too!

We may get some footage from our shakedown today at a local place, but there will definitely be plenty from Gridlife! They actually livestream the races on the website too!
Bump!

Awesome car and I do think I remember seeing it listed years ago when it left our coast. I don't remember any specifics, but I'm pretty sure it was interesting and someone else in the scene posted the listing on Facebook or something.

Can you post the dyno chart? The first thing I thought when you mentioned the car's spec was that the carbs are too small, but I guess that really depends on where you want to make peak power. With that camshaft and the car's use, I would expect you wanting the peak HP(especially with the gearing) above 6,000rpm. Likely 6500 and with the power hanging on above that, but I don't think the 40s will give you that. I don't have any personal experience though, so you can ignore me if wanted. Hah, who knows what was done to the cylinder head and how good that is, too.

Do you know what size the venturis are? A quick search online came up with this: https://cnx.org/contents/oKbaEWQ3@2/Selection-and-Tuning-of-Weber-DCOE-Carburetors

For the brakes, what did you end up doing? Stock 140 brakes are pretty darn good with the right pads on them, but we did upgrade to 164 vented rotors with 240 front calipers on our '71 endurance car in my signature. We are using ducting as well and even the factory Volvo pads are sufficient all around! They don't have the most bite if you aren't using a brake booster, though, and the rears aren't lasting more than 8 or so hours in one go with the current setup. Our rear proportioning valves are turned up though and we might be able to turn them down some with us now running a rear swaybar. We have about 155whp, for reference.

Being a hillclimb/autox car, I would definitely expect you to want to dial out some of that rotating happiness if you're going to go out on track. Speaking of which... How'd it go?

Questions that I still have...

Does this thing really need race fuel? It has VP110 in it as it came to me that way, but it seems excessive. Anyone with anecdotal evidence for what is necessary in a B20? I'd be curious if there are some accepted timing limits, compression limits, or power limits that people have found on pump gas so I have something to base the decision off of once it sees some dyno time.

The brakes seem solid (no pun intended) but I may look into something a bit more robust in the future. Is there a straightforward swap or an easy way to add proportioning to these cars? It has the dual line front calipers with the single line with the accumulator thingies for the rears. Under braking it seemed to want to swap ends pretty easily, made for quick trail braking at autocross but not sure I want to feel that at 90mph on track.

What would the board say is good oil pressure on a race motor? It's seeing 35psi at idle, and 90-100psi at full chat. Judging from the oil bottles that came with it, they were putting 20w50 in it, which seems excessive...
You can't say for sure on the fuel until you get it on the dyno and try things. I would expect with the camshaft it has, if dialed in well, you wouldn't NEED to run such high octane and you maybe wouldn't NEED to run so much ignition timing, either. See if you lose any torque on the dyno by retarding it a couple degrees at a time to find out. You can't really just say what the setup should be capable of running, you'll have to actually test it and find out what's best.

What did you end up doing for oil and what were the pressures after changing? Was that 90-100psi at high rpm when the oil was warmed up fully?

I thought I had updated this thread since then, but I guess it got missed.

To answer some of the questions...
Gridlife was fun, the car did well. It is roughly the same speed as a decently prepped Spec Miata currently, which put me in the back of the pack. But it was a good event and had tons of fun driving with the other guys back there. Last race saw a rookie mistake by another driver and myself that ended in some contact and landscaping. For me it was just some fiberglass damage and bending of already pre-bent sheetmetal. It's all back together now.

I just have some cellphone photos of the dyno plots due to them not showing anything worth looking at. 125whp currently with the small cam. I've been in contact with some people and I think I'll be buying an Enem H3 for it. I'm 95% sure the carbs will be too small to make full use of it, but it will be interesting to see what the power differences are with each step.

The next event for the car will be running it at the Dixie Champ Tour for autocross, two friends will be driving it while me and my codriver field the RX8. After that it will get the rear gears sorted and maybe the cam before more HPDE events throughout the year. Looking to possibly run the NCM Gridlife event later this year too.

At a local autocross I broke a rear suspension bolt and lunched an upper arm due to that, parts to fix it will be here tomorrow.

With the thinner oil I was seeing some lower than I'd like oil pressures at idle after 20 minute track sessions, I put 10w40 in it now and will see if that gets us in the ballpark.

Anything new? :) Did you ever get around to running non-factory control arms?

Back