home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Default Joined the Beige Club - '78 242DL

I figure I've made enough progress on my new car to start a thread on it. I've had it a little over a week now and am really just getting started on it, but have made some headway so far on the exterior stuff.

I bought the car/rolling chassis from Derek AKA Vol242vo. He did a lot of work to it but ultimately went a different direction and sold off some of the cool bits from it like the BBS/sway bars/GT front end stuff. His history with the car is here.

Back in October I made a deal with him to buy the car from him and he was going to trailer it to Portland for me from Spokane around Thanksgiving. Unfortunately the weather intervened and he couldn't make it down. Ultimately, I ending up hiring Patrick (Group A) to drive to Spokane and trailer it home for me. He and Eric went and got it for me on Saturday the 19th:

Later that day they dropped it off at my house and we pushed it into the driveway:

Which meant I had to clean up my garage to get it to fit Spent the next day cleaning the car, clay barring it and then cleaning it again. Then I did manage to squeeze it into the garage next to my wagon:

Now that the car was decently clean and in the garage I got to work on the trim work. This car will have all the chrome trim banished. First step was roughing up the chrome around the windows with 400 grit, masking it all off and painting it. Window trim done:

Also did the same for the rear end and removed the taillights for cleaning/painting and new gaskets:

Also pulled off the side trim for matching paint:

Chrome mirrors out, later black mirrors repainted and installed:

Gonna leave all the side trim off for the next few days so I can get a good polish/wax on the car first and really clean underneath and on the edges of where the trim goes. Then it goes back on.

Since Derek sold the GT front end I needed something to replace it, and sorta happened into a light/grill combo from Dirk242. Scrubbed and repainted the grille and bezels and got one of the super sweet new poly domed emblems from Dave Barton:

Next I got a nice matching pair of early CIBIE corner lights to go with the E-Codes:

So next, I also sorta happened into a set of Eikers. Problem is, they were hammered. 2 of the 4 were gashed/rashed bad and the other two also were, and were bent. Sent over the 2 bent ones to HM Motorsports for straightening and found out the super hamboned one was too far gone and had a crack at the base of one of the spokes. I got lucky and found a 5th one. It also needed straightening, but was totally fixable. That one went to HM with the others and the 2 workable ones got straightened.

Now that I had 4 useable, round wheels I set out to refinish them. First step was to sand down the scratches to smooth them out some with 220 grit. That got them looking about like so:

Next I cleaned them well with Acetone, then used filler and let it harden. Next was TONS of sanding with 220/400, then primer. Next was 3 coats of Duplicolor silver wheel paint followed by 3 coats of Duplicolor clear wheel paint:

After letting the paint/clear cure for 24 hours I finally put them on the car last night

Being that I've only had it a little over a week, I feel like I've made decent progress, but still have a lot more work to do. Next thing I'll be tackling is working the paint over with TR-3 Resin Glaze (which I'm just waiting on delivery of from Amazon) which hopefully should get rid of some of the swirl marks and bring out a nice shine

More to come, but that's it for now!
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
euroshark
Board Member

Very cool! I like where it seems to be going.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

:'( at vol242vo selling, :( at the de-chroming, >:[ at the e-code snatching and :D at this car getting such a good and deserving owner. I may not agree with the direction you take, but regardless of how you get there, I at least know you're taking this thing to awesometown.
1967 220 amazon station wagon.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroshark View Post
Very cool! I like where it seems to be going.
Thanks! Got a few more cool things to come for it before it's on the road, but posting "future plans" too far into the future I think is kinda dumb until it's happening, so I'll just wait and let the pictures do the talking when I'm at each "phase" of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
:'( at vol242vo selling, :( at the de-chroming, >:[ at the e-code snatching and :D at this car getting such a good and deserving owner. I may not agree with the direction you take, but regardless of how you get there, I at least know you're taking this thing to awesometown.
I just really really really don't like chrome trim on 240s I think the black trim is a much nicer look. I know chrome is more vintage, but it just doesn't do it for me. All black trim ties the thing together better in my opinion. Otherwise it's "here comes the chrome" when you're looking at it.

Awesometown seems like a good destination -- I shall corral some unicorns when I arrive there.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
Manbeard
#helpbrock2k16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
I just really really really don't like chrome trim on 240s I think the black trim is a much nicer look. I know chrome is more vintage, but it just doesn't do it for me. All black trim ties the thing together better in my opinion. Otherwise it's "here comes the chrome" when you're looking at it.

Awesometown seems like a good destination -- I shall corral some unicorns when I arrive there.
chrome trim + beige looks like poo. if it was black, then it'd look alright. any other color, and its bad news bears.

i love the car cam!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
chrome trim + beige looks like poo. if it was black, then it'd look alright. any other color, and its bad news bears.
100% agree -- the chrome in my opinion just sticks out like a sore thumb over the beige. The semi-flat black over the beige looks much better to me. Pulls the whole car together better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
i love the car cam!
Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
"All the dude ever wanted was his black trim back...he's not greedy. It really...tied the car together."

Are you ditching the windshield trim as well and going with the late 240 flush trim? I'm doing the same on my own beige 242 right now, but I pulled the windshield out specifically to fix rust spots around the frame on the cowl. It's amazing how much dirt and crud had accumulated under that windshield trim - it was just holding water like a sponge. Now it's obvious why these older 240s tend to rust in that spot.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
"All the dude ever wanted was his black trim back...he's not greedy. It really...tied the car together."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Are you ditching the windshield trim as well and going with the late 240 flush trim?
Yup, new later windshield with the flush trim will be going in for sure but I'm not going to get one installed until it's up and running and on the road. I see no rust spots around the windshield trim as it is so hopefully it's not rusted under there from dirt and water accumulation.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Duder
Comes with a free Frogurt

Quote:
I see no rust spots around the windshield trim as it is so hopefully it's not rusted under there from dirt and water accumulation.
For your sake I hope you're right and you don't find any rust, but be prepared. I thought I just had 4 small bubbles forming on the cowl, but once the glass was out I found about 10 more hidden spots rusting in the actual windshield flange. And those 4 small bubbles turned out to be holes once I cleaned off the flaky stuff. Bummer!
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
swedishK
Design by Beefsma

<3<3<3
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
...weld the diff, and proceed to everywhere.
swedishK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
SLOTh_244
Board Member

i figured you bought the car I am glad its still in the TB family.
But if we based all of our decisions off of what's practical, quiet, the safest, etc, we wouldn't be car enthusiasts, and we certainly wouldn't be daily driving 20+ year old swedish grocery carts. with tractor engines.
Model:_______________ Port of Origin:____ Recent Status:
1977 242_____________ Seattle Wa_____Shown at IPD 2010
1989 244_____________ Las Cruces Nm_____ Grandpa Hauler
1989 745gl___________ Las Cruces Nm________Family Hauler
SLOTh_244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
SLOTh_244
Board Member

1 click double post... i guess i like it doubley much...

Last edited by SLOTh_244; 03-29-2011 at 05:44 PM..
SLOTh_244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
bakterius85
Board Member

Good looking project. Looking forward to see your progress
Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
bakterius85
Board Member

bakterius85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
RP80242GT+T
R-Sport Cluster Guy

Looking good Cam! Thats a lot of index cards! A cluster for you is in the works. You are next on the list. Roger
2006 Mini Cooper S GP number 1148
1989 240 Wagon " The Beast" Daily Driver
RP80242GT+T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #16
morganpartee
Board Member

Thank you Cameron. I love this car.

2011 Ford Ranger
1997 Miata, Supercharged
2002 Suzuki DRZ-400S
2013 Yamaha FZ6R
morganpartee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOTh_244 View Post
i figured you bought the car
I think a lot of people figured that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakterius85 View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP80242GT+T View Post
Looking good Cam! Thats a lot of index cards! A cluster for you is in the works. You are next on the list. Roger
It is a lot of index cards but they worked great! Less than $2.00 for a pack of 'em and way quicker/easier to apply than masking tape. I am super stoked for the new cluster for it from you! All your work I've seen is impeccable so it'll be a pleasure to install it in my 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganpartee View Post
I love this car.
Glad you like it! I'll be going a somewhat different direction with it than Derek was, but a lot of what I'm doing to it will not be that far off from what he started.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #18
sdturbo
Board Member

Is this car getting some of the goodies you got from me?
97 Land Rover Discovery (Mercedes om606 swap)
65 Mini Cooper (B18 powered)
www.yoshifab.com Volvo performance parts.
(760)468-7002
sdturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
skunked
Board Member

bad ass, love the de-chromed look.

whats going under the hood?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #20
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdturbo View Post
Is this car getting some of the goodies you got from me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked View Post
bad ass, love the de-chromed look.

whats going under the hood?
Thanks! Motor should be pretty cool -- I'll post up some pics and more details on it once I get everything back from the machine shop
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Funkee
Board Member

cool project! i love those wheels
Funkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #22
alexm963
Board Member

I'm totally disappointed I didn't get to see this in person, but I'm glad it went to a good home. I look forward to seeing what goes in that bay.
'80 242 DL RESTOMOD/RACECAR
FOR SALE Lot of good stuff! Make offers on any of it!
alexm963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #23
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Awesome

Except for the dechroming... i think chrome actually looks good with the beige. only a few colors can pull it off
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
RvolvoR
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
Awesome

Except for the dechroming... i think chrome actually looks good with the beige. only a few colors can pull it off
this...and brown
RvolvoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #25
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wiley View Post
I dig it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvolvoR View Post
...and brown
I really tried to find a brown 242. Only one I found over the last couple years around here was soooo close to being a good one. It was an '83, and the dude selling it was the original owner. He wanted less than a grand for it, but it had an accident a couple years ago and he backyard fixed it and ruined it. All it needed was a new hood and fender and he ****ed it up. Got some parts from the wrecking yard and didn't know how to properly attach stuff so he used drywall screws and rattle canned the parts and got overspray everywhere.