home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #251
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

I must have missed it somewhere but why you went through the trouble of going 960MKII suspension ?

My Seller Feedback
Mr.Borrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #252
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
Hell yes, this will be badass. I was so worried about idle issues etc on mine with the ITBs but they've given me zero trouble. I do realize you're running 7 more than me though

I must have missed it in the thread, what are the throttles off of originally?

Good work, keep it up!
Thanks good to know you don't have any issues with them. What mode do you use on MS3 to run them? They are off of a 01-02 GSXR 1000. These you can separate into individual parts and space them out to the new cilinder spacing. 42mm throttle diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opgedronken View Post
I'd love the noise of itb's but can't deal with the extra space they take up.
Other than that 2 throttles are annoying enough to synch already :P.

Where did you get the collectors by the way? The rest of the bends look like simons ones, but they don't do collectors.
Are you planning on welding them on or using the slip fit?

As for the m120's holding boost. Theres anecdotal evidence they can take half a pound without problems, but on the other hand the aluminium cylinders and corresponding low friction piston rings don't really like high compression.
I can imagine it might be tight in a miata. I'll measure the lowest point of the oil sump once I work on it again. Because the engine is in there so low, the ITBs fit. There is about 6cm above the stock manifold at the front of the engine in the Volvo. Way more further back.

The collectors I got from ebay, somewhere in the UK. They are nicely made and cost less than the materials needed to make your own. I'll look for the link somewhere. The runners slip in, but I'll probably weld them in place too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Borrie View Post
I must have missed it somewhere but why you went through the trouble of going 960MKII suspension ?
Several reasons, I like the setup better with the stronger single piece control arms, separate knuckles from the struts, massive lower chassis brace that connects the rear mounting points, and it changes the offset so I can mount high ET value wheels without spacers. It's the control arms that change the wheel offset, not the knuckles. If you were to use the 960II knuckles with the 740 control arms, it will give you an even lower (maybe even negative) offset than stock. Somewhere in the future I'm planning on making my own knuckles like what The Poi did here, that correct for the lowering, make the steering quicker and are made for the Cayenne calipers I'm using. But first I'll get it going like this. It's really not that much work to convert the suspension. Just need to change the rear mounting points on the chassis.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #253
Opgedronken
Board Member

I think I've found them, about 40 pounds each, still a lot of money, but manageable :P.
You can't really weld a slip on collector though so you'll have to live with some leaking with a cold engine.
Opgedronken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:36 AM   #254
stick70
All the gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
Thanks good to know you don't have any issues with them. What mode do you use on MS3 to run them? They are off of a 01-02 GSXR 1000. These you can separate into individual parts and space them out to the new cilinder spacing. 42mm throttle diameter.
I thought my throttles were from a '01 or '00, but I can't totally remember. I know they were cast as pairs, not individually like yours. I had to cut one of mine in half to make the center throttle body.
Old 11-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #255
Sander
Good news everyone!

Finished tack welding the right hand side exhaust manifolds. Next up is the driver's side which will need to wrap around the steering column. Should be enough space though.

I also continued a bit with the intake. I cut the stock runners even further and will then weld on round tubing with the same diameter as the itb's and the rest of the stock runners. Should work out nicely. Where I cut them, the ports are straight and pretty much the same diameter. Just a bit more square but that is easily fixed. The wall thickness is more than enough to grind them to round 42mm like the itbs.

Spaced them out to the correct port spacing:

Last edited by Sander; 09-16-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Old 11-03-2018, 11:43 PM   #256
Opgedronken
Board Member

Sick! Just noticed how hoge those header pipes are. Are they 2" :P?
Old 11-04-2018, 04:29 AM   #257
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Sick! Just noticed how hoge those header pipes are. Are they 2" :P?
Thanks! No they are 42.4mm outside diameter. 38mm inside. There's just a lot of it :p The collectors go 3x42mm into 1 2" pipe. Then I plan on merging the 2 2" pipes into 1 2,5" on each side of the car.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #258
Opgedronken
Board Member

That's a pretty strange size, about a mm larger than 1 5/8". Will they fit your collector?
I was planning on the same size as you exhaust wise, but not sure on the primaries yet :P.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #259
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
That's a pretty strange size, about a mm larger than 1 5/8". Will they fit your collector?
I was planning on the same size as you exhaust wise, but not sure on the primaries yet :P.
Actually it's a pretty standard tubing size. The collectors are made for that size primaries. They go from 3x 42.4 into 1x 2".
Old 11-05-2018, 04:23 PM   #260
arsenix
Board Member

You worried about those ITBs being too big? 12x 42mm is a lot of throttle body for a 400hp engine! Think you need some bigger cams for this beast
arsenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #261
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenix View Post
You worried about those ITBs being too big? 12x 42mm is a lot of throttle body for a 400hp engine! Think you need some bigger cams for this beast
Not worried at all they are the exact same size as the stock intake runners. These ITBs are used on a lot of other cars with around 2L 4 cyl engines, this is basically that x3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pzuEyn4WgI That one even made 450hp with 50mm diameter BMW M3 itbs.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:50 PM   #262
arsenix
Board Member

We'll see... you might find you don't have enough throttle control. Maybe a nice cam on the throttle linkage would cure it. A 150hp 4 cylinder doesn't need as much fine throttle control as a 450hp v12! You can be full throttle all the time with only 150hp...
arsenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #263
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
About the sump, I meant how thick is it from the flange to the bottom at its most shallow part over the subframe?
I measured it, it's about 45mm between the flange and the underside of the flattest part of the sump.

Started with the headers for the other side. 1 more tube to go but then it was dark outside. Tomorrow another day.

Last edited by Sander; 09-16-2019 at 12:17 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #264
Gnomestur
Board Member

You sir are a artist. I swear these volvos builds are the best on the web.
Gnomestur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #265
wujek
Board Member

love to watch this thread

WANTED:
-red floor mats for 7/9
wujek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #266
Broke4speed
Board Member

I'm pretty sure that with 12 throttle bodies at WOT you're going to need an oxygen supply, since they'll be sucking all air available in a 10' radius around the car. Very sweet fab work!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #267
Opgedronken
Board Member

Nice, looks like theres enough room to work around the oil filter housing. Did you have to use a cheater bend or is it all full radius?
Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #268
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomestur View Post
You sir are a artist. I swear these volvos builds are the best on the web.
Thank you! This site has quite a few great projects going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by wujek View Post
love to watch this thread
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
I'm pretty sure that with 12 throttle bodies at WOT you're going to need an oxygen supply, since they'll be sucking all air available in a 10' radius around the car. Very sweet fab work!
Thanks! I'll add a scuba tank behind the driver's seat then :P

Quote:
Nice, looks like theres enough room to work around the oil filter housing. Did you have to use a cheater bend or is it all full radius?
Yeah there is just enough room for a full radius to go on there. I will have to take the studs out though to take the manifold off the car... Or remove the filter housing, but I can't find that gasket anywhere for some reason. It's a full radius, I did have to make the transition piece from oval to round a little shorter there to get some more clearance. There is no way to have a nice transition and bend there without having to remove the studs to disassemble it though. Just not enough room.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #269
stick70
All the gauges

The headers are looking good! I had to switch to bolts in order to remove mine from the car, and even then it needed a little fender bashing to make it possible.

Looks tight around that steering gear but looks like you've got it handled.
stick70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:57 AM   #270
Opgedronken
Board Member

The mercedes dealer is almost sure to have the rubber o ring gasket thing for the oil filter housing, you can pretty much order a complete m120 in parts from them :P.
I'm kind of leaning towards an oil filter relocation (may be even forced to), but I kind of like the check valve that is in the oem housing.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #271
ryque

And where did you find those Camber plates?
ryque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #272
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick70 View Post
The headers are looking good! I had to switch to bolts in order to remove mine from the car, and even then it needed a little fender bashing to make it possible.

Looks tight around that steering gear but looks like you've got it handled.
Thanks! It should be able to take them off without bashing the fenders (I hope). There is a bit of a lack of space there around the column, but it never gets closer than about 1" to the alu shaft, so it shouldn't melt anything.

Quote:
The mercedes dealer is almost sure to have the rubber o ring gasket thing for the oil filter housing, you can pretty much order a complete m120 in parts from them :P.
I'm kind of leaning towards an oil filter relocation (may be even forced to), but I kind of like the check valve that is in the oem housing.
Yeah, I'll stop by the Merc dealer some day for that gasket. It makes life so much easier to just take the housing off when removing the headers. I thought about relocating it too, but in the Volvo it fit perfectly between the chassis rails and it will be the easiest car in the world to change the oil filter on when keeping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryque View Post
And where did you find those Camber plates?
They came with the cheap coilovers I'm using initially. They are from Classicswede.

In other news, the last runner for the headers is tacked together. The intake is coming along as well.

The transition between the stock intake runners and the 42mm i.d. tubing (same as the itb) is perfect in the location where I cut them off. Just have to trim a small bit off from the stock casting to make it round. The forward most runner is a lot smaller than all the others due to hood clearance issues in the Merc. As I put the engine in as low as it would go, I have more clearance and can fix the issue. There is still a very small restriction in it compared to the others, but it's pretty much negligable now.

Last edited by Sander; 09-16-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Old 11-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #273
Arn02
Board Member

So cool. Is there any choice of aftermarket camshafts for this engine? I can imagine you'd like something a bit more aggressive.

The 245 GT

The Euromurican
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #274
JohnLane
Board Member

This will be wonderfully sick and wrong when finished!
The sound will be amazing.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #275
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane View Post
The sound will be amazing.
From earlier in the thread.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ZIomet8Yk