• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Running just the ignition ecu

RobSmith

Hi all,
I have my old b230ft engine sitting outside. I plan to run this one on woodgas.
The fuel side of things will be a home brew system adjusting petrol mixture to start the engine then feeding in the woodgas as the gasifier arms up.
I am just wondering if I can use the ezk ignition ecu with just some of the wiring loom and not using the fuel ecu?
I am just wondering about the easiest way to get the ignition going with the few bits I have kicking about.
Cheers.
Rob

Ignition timing needs to be adjusted for rpm and load.

At a fixed load, it takes a fixed amount of time to ignite the mixture and reach peak pressure. At low RPM, the pistons are moving slower and the ignition is closer to TDC. As engine speed increases, it still needs the same amount of time to ignite the mixture. This means that spark must be earlier in the rotation to have the same amount of time to reach peak pressure. Old distributors use centrifugal weights to advance the timing as the RPM goes up.

The ignition timing also needs to be adjusted for air/fuel mixture density, and the density goes up as the engine load increases. The denser the mixture, the faster it burns, so spark must be delayed (retarded) to ignite and reach peak pressure at the right time. The intake vacuum is inversely proportional to load -- high vacuum means low load, low vacuum (WOT) means high load. Old distributors use a vacuum can to retard the timing as load goes up.

For LH2.4, the EZK box adjusts timing based on RPM. It also gets a load signal from the LH2.4 ECU to adjust timing based on load. Without a LH2.4 ECU, the EZK box won't adjust for load (and you're stuck with baseline limp home mode timing).

For standalone ignition, you need either an old "breakerless" distributor and ignition box (k-jet), or the "chrysler" distributor and ignition box (LH2.2 NA). There might be a couple other options in Europe that we didn't get in the USA.

Ignition timing needs to be adjusted for rpm and load.

At a fixed load, it takes a fixed amount of time to ignite the mixture and reach peak pressure. At low RPM, the pistons are moving slower and the ignition is closer to TDC. As engine speed increases, it still needs the same amount of time to ignite the mixture. This means that spark must be earlier in the rotation to have the same amount of time to reach peak pressure. Old distributors use centrifugal weights to advance the timing as the RPM goes up.

The ignition timing also needs to be adjusted for air/fuel mixture density, and the density goes up as the engine load increases. The denser the mixture, the faster it burns, so spark must be delayed (retarded) to ignite and reach peak pressure at the right time. The intake vacuum is inversely proportional to load -- high vacuum means low load, low vacuum (WOT) means high load. Old distributors use a vacuum can to retard the timing as load goes up.

For LH2.4, the EZK box adjusts timing based on RPM. It also gets a load signal from the LH2.4 ECU to adjust timing based on load. Without a LH2.4 ECU, the EZK box won't adjust for load (and you're stuck with baseline limp home mode timing).

For standalone ignition, you need either an old "breakerless" distributor and ignition box (k-jet), or the "chrysler" distributor and ignition box (LH2.2 NA). There might be a couple other options in Europe that we didn't get in the USA.

How does the LH ECU determine load?

Back