home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 07-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #1
V12-240

Default Introduction and Corvette IRS transaxle swap

Hey guys,

I'm in the planning stages of a project I want to undertake. I'm a huge wagon fan and alternatively a Volvo fan. I've always been drawn to Volvo's and now that I will have the means to build what I want, I want to purse this project. I've loved V12's so a V12 wagon has been a dream of mine for a while. I've decided on a '96 Jaguar 6.0 V12 to swap into a 240 wagon. Yes I know it's daughting, yes I know there's easier ways to make power but this is what I want to do. That's the reason why I joined this forum and I'll document my progress here.

Anyway, I'm thinking about doing a Corvette transaxle to help with weight distribution. Trackwidth on the Corvettes are 1570 mm where the stockk 240s are about 10 inches shorter but of course that's complicated by offsets and wheel width. I was planning on going wide body in the future so I'm not too concerned. My question is is it worth all this trouble for the transaxle or should I keep the OEM set up and go with standard trans swap? I'm gonna already have the car stripped and torn so I figured the start of the project would be worth while to undertake the conversation rather than down the road. Sorry for the book of a post but thought I'd explain myself since I'm new to the forum. I appreciate any input, I know I'm crazy to try this!
V12-240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
JerryJS8
der Junge

Welcome to the forum!

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=331262

Check that out and see if you're up to all the fabrication necessary
- 1990 744 16v (pegleg drift can)
- 1992 480 (Renault disaster)

- 1989 745 16v
- 1991 744 (SE) 16v Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Try to recreate and see what happens, our crystall ball servers are currrently down.
JerryJS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Texas240
Prius Owner

My C4 rear end sitting in the garage is roughly 2 inches or less longer than the stock 240 rear end.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
V12-240

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryJS8 View Post
Welcome to the forum!

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=331262

Check that out and see if you're up to all the fabrication necessary
Wow that's perfect!! Some of that I anticipated, some I didn't. Thank you for that link! I like the way this guy thinks. The Merc V12 was one of the first platforms I considered
Old 07-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #5
V12-240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas240 View Post
My C4 rear end sitting in the garage is roughly 2 inches or less longer than the stock 240 rear end.
So pretty manageable. Let me know how it goes!
Old 07-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #6
HiSPL
Board Member

240SX IRS is a lot simpler and has been swapped into other platforms before. I don't know if anyone has done a Volvo yet.

It can also handle lots of power.
HiSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
vertigosity
Board Member

I love the idea of an IRS 245, did some back-of-the-napkin level stuff, but kinda just said "blegh, Volvo SRAs aren't that bad, I don't feel like cutting one to pieces and welding a different car to the bottom, if I really have to have IRS, I'll just switch to E46s..." - but I do have some links/threads to drop :D

https://rick486.wixsite.com/dobbertinperformance might be worth looking at - old-school hot-rod guy that makes a set of brackets to replicate the upper control arm and shock mounts that are part of the C5/C6 frame, and narrows C5/C6 subframes. He also has the bits for a couple of approaches to not having the transmission in the back, as well.

There's some positives to that approach - wouldn't need to hack up the original frame rails much beyond adding some secondary/additional frame rails to attach his mount kit to, and said kit would take care of maintaining UCA geometry, coilover mount points, mounting the subframe itself all in one go, and picking whatever track width you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post
240SX IRS is a lot simpler and has been swapped into other platforms before. I don't know if anyone has done a Volvo yet.

There's this guy - http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/sh...=343982&page=2
and diving deep into the Wayback machine, Anthony Hyde did a swap with an R33 Skyline rear (which looks really similar): http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=183375
Old 07-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #8
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSPL View Post

I have one in a 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote