• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Blow-Off Valve question

GTJordan

Been here for too long
I drove my car for the first time the other night, 0 boost. In reverse, under a little load, damn did it run nice, went up hill in reverse, put it in first, started crusing down, stumbling, and hesitation, didn't go into boost (not going to dare!) Let off the gas, and PSSSSSST wholly damn blowoff valve sounds. Did a few more runs, progressivly ran better and better. Could hear the blowoff valve almost a block away (where my dad and girlfreidn were)

Anyways, onto the question. Someone was talking of modifying 1st Gen Blowoff valves, by "crushing" somthing to hold over 20PSI.
I plan on eventually running that 20PSI, so I'd like to know how to go about this, so I don't leak under boost.

I'll get a video up sometime.

Jordan

u're not running LH 2.2 are u? i mean, u have no air mass meter to mess your mixture up on letting off the gas....

i want to convert to a BOV from a CBV but i dont wann run rich on shifting...

i've asked this before and nobody really answered....Is it feasible to transwer the AMM to post turbo/BOV?
will that mess anything up...like the mixture, or have a vacuum leak through the BOV, u know, stuff like that...

Sorry, I can't awnser your question, BUT, I've seen a 240 setup running the AMM post turbo. I guess its feasable to run a Blowoff valve post turbo but pre-AMM if your set up like that.

. I run MegaSquirt, no LH here :)

Jordan

It will mess somthing up... The AMM will be fried by the higher temps... So don't to it. You can convert to a BOV, but just make sure it is one that can be piped back into the intake... probably not as loud as if it were open air, but probably still sounds cool.

GTJordan don't bother messing around with modifing the standard BOV when aftermarket ones are reasonably cheap. Just go and check out www.turbosmart.com.au

Red_Liner740TIC this would be your best bet

BLOW OFF VALVE TYPE III PLUMBACK
bovtype3a.jpg

Theres no reason for him to use a recirculating BOV, as he isn't using an AMM anymore. Any DSM bov would work fine crushed... and flanges are a dime a dozen.

Could the plastic AMM even hold the pressure?? (if you were to do that)

Jordan, for some reason, i think that doug got some wierd hybrid of a bov for his 242.... where it vented into the atmosphere, but still piped some of it back into the engine... i dunno.... maybe im just wierd...

Jimmy

I don't ahve to worry about Venting back into the intake track, I'm using a MAP sensor fuel injection system.

I'm going to use the 1st gen DSM valve, because, well its already on there, sounds nice. blah blah blah. Later on, when I'm no longer in University, I will get a real one. a Nice looking one.

So I wonder, I have the flange for the DSM valve already welded on there, I can unbolt the top half from the flange. Will aftermarket ones attach to the already welded on flange? I guess I should ask some DSM guys this... Not that It matters right now.

Thanks again Bit, and everyone else!

Jordan

please dont flame me for askin stupid newbie questionsbut i need volvo help and u guy sr my only source so please------i found that my turbo housing has a very huge crack in it an it leaking oil, with x-mas near, i have means to replace it--now i want to upgrade my turbo from mitsu to something big, but not overkill, but something nice to looking/somewhat powerfull without a cbv on it for ima use a recurclating bov in its place. i want to convert to a garrett style i think. SO i need ALL advice on what kinda turbo to use/size/and where i can find it. And if i need anyother parts such as a new manifold PLEASE tell me. i need ALL THE INFO U GUYS CAN GIVE---please just answer and not redirect me some place else for i trust u guys ideas. this will be my only x-mas gift so please help-------CRAZYBOOST---<---notanymore-----btw, i have 87 740 ti with mitsu td05-12b---thank u

ask these questions directly for more indepth...

robin@thirdmason.com (bitjockey above you), Dan Clemts, Captain Bondo, stealthfi... and many more... there's a bunch of guys out there that could help you out on this topic... I find private messages (button on the bottom of a registered post) and/or email works the best. This place is great for debate... talk to a couple people and post your tentative conclusion on the board to get more feedback (in a new post for best results).

Sorry I cant help you, but I think those people and others can! (find their names in the member listing...)

ROCK ON

Back