• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 850R AWD Conversion

Photobucket using a tag generator on their site. Seems the problem is with the T bricks board as they have been added to two other forums exactly the same and work.
Adam

*copied* Right she is running. Very happy so far.
Recap, custom made fuel rail finally turned up. Used hardline adapters to convert original feed and return lines from the fuel tank to run AN lines to the fuel swirl pot.
The original pump is now serving as a lift pump to the swirl pot, and the old return is now an overflow from the swirlpot back to tank. Now running AN line from the swirl pot to a volvo 240 fuel filter ( so i could get screw on ends) then to an 044 pump to the rail. Returns from the rail via an FSE regulator back to swirl pot.
I still need to make a cold air division in the engine bay with a proper cold feed. But for now at least the car is on the road.
I am running it in for now at actuator pressure but first signs are all good. Oil pressure is pot on and oil temps seem nice and low too. W
Will keep you updated when the boost gets turned up!!!
Adam

IMG_4501_zps2b8aedb0.jpg

IMG_4504_zpsaa6c6fa6.jpg

IMG_4505_zps4602e1be.jpg

IMG_4506_zpsb17db77f.jpg

IMG_4507_zpsfa836b4e.jpg

IMG_4522_zps050a15f4.jpg

IMG_4523_zpsb62da9a7.jpg

IMG_4526_zps57480b8a.jpg

IMG_4527_zps567f7043.jpg

IMG_4528_zpsaa306c87.jpg

IMG_4529_zps0ae05dd8.jpg

IMG_4530_zps744c3cf1.jpg

IMG_4535_zpsb2804b0c.jpg

IMG_4536_zps86b57482.jpg

IMG_4537_zps098488f4.jpg

IMG_4538_zps80f7bd02.jpg

IMG_4539_zpsd0e5af26.jpg

IMG_4540_zpsfaeb4c97.jpg

IMG_4541_zps5d7b3030.jpg

IMG_4542_zpsebe77f7d.jpg

IMG_4543_zps5a71ae99.jpg

IMG_4544_zpsc8465c20.jpg

IMG_4554_zps8cb719fe.jpg

IMG_4555_zps06c0d5fd.jpg

IMG_4556_zps48f97f98.jpg

IMG_4551_zpsc7ccb8ff.jpg

I forgot to mention engine is now run in. Only teathing problem is the engine breathers, getting oil splash off the cams so i have rerouted them and fitted a restrictor to help stop the oil running through them, but still allowing vapour through. Catch tank has significantly slowed down filling up with oil.
I now have boost set at 1.25bar, fitting a wideband tonight to check things are all safe then up we go to 1.4 bar. It feels really strong now.
Makes some lovely 5Cylinder noises. Very UR quattro Esque!!!
All for now Adam

P.S i will try and get some videos up soon.

I had the same problem with the oil splash out the breather fitting on the valve cover. you have to cover that area below with a flat piece of aluminum that catches all the oil splash on it. I just took a flat piece of aluminuma and welded it to the valve cover but still allows the vapor to come out. does that make sense?

Can't reply with a quote.... EDIT

Hows yours any updates? I was going to ask what you are currently doing for fueling?
Adam

You've done much work since I last checked in - looking really good!

If you use a baffled drain back CC, then the oil leaving the cover won't be such an issue - but baffles under the cover really are the cure.

I used delrin mounts in my stock AWD subframe - I like that you used the entire C70 version - I have the braces lined up so as to add them later on. What did you do to resolve the AWD center support to the plate on the C70 version?

Curious why you kept the "S" shape to the DP - you could have dropped it further to the right, no? Unless on RHD models the steering column is in the way?
I have found the stock lines to be OK @ 450AWHP - with a DW300 FP, larger volume rail & 650cc injectors @ 4bar.
After setting up the single 044 on the MY99 filter bracket, I decided to go with a surge tank with two 044's inside. I'm going to put the tank in a similar location to yours, and run 8AN line to & from the the FPR. Did you have to drop the subframe to snake the lines over? I was hoping I could feed them through & over the tank without doing so...

I just switched to 1000cc injectors, after the 650cc's were hitting over 90% duty cycle @ 1.4bar on the AWD dyno.

Last edited:

If you use a baffled drain back CC, then the oil leaving the cover won't be such an issue - but baffles under the cover really are the cure.

I used delrin mounts in my stock AWD subframe - I like that you used the entire C70 version - I have the braces lined up so as to add them later on. What did you do to resolve the AWD center support to the plate on the C70 version?

Curious why you kept the "S" shape to the DP - you could have dropped it further to the right, no? Unless on RHD models the steering column is in the way?
I have found the stock lines to be OK @ 450AWHP - with a DW300 FP, larger volume rail & 650cc injectors @ 4bar.
After setting up the single 044 on the MY99 filter bracket, I decided to go with a surge tank with two 044's inside. I'm going to put the tank in a similar location to yours, and run 8AN line to & from the the FPR. Did you have to drop the subframe to snake the lines over? I was hoping I could feed them through & over the tank without doing so...

I just switched to 1000cc injectors, after the 650cc's were hitting over 90% duty cycle @ 1.4bar on the AWD dyno.

I did consider using 2 catch tanks the one i was using was pretty much just getting clean oil from teh cams, so i considered using a second one off that one. and the first one return to the original volvo box on the block.
The original (old) setup i had used to produce 90% water in the catch tank.

I have only just fitted the centre brace, no pics yet, i cut the plate off the c70 one, cut the hoop to clear the exhaust and welded it to the AWD centre plate. I will be going to reinforce it soon, but i dont want anything lower than the exhaust in the centre. I did consider running a tube under the exhaust to rejoin the hoop section.

Downpipe wise, i am really resticted with my column. Everything is heat wrapped though and doesnt seem to be causing any problems. I will try and get some more pics to show how close to the column it is. ( The black strengthening shield that bolts around the base of the column and subframe had to be clearanced.)

I had to drop subframe as i spliced into the factory fuel lines, i didnt want to use any unwanted lines at all. So it was a case of drop frame, measure, make line, lift subframe, check, repeat etc. Subframe up and down a few times. I am only using the link pipe between saddles, and part of the original feed & return line, everything else is braided. 6AN braided fits perfect in the factory channel under the car. Looks awesome from underneath. The factory lines with an uprated pump probably would be fine for more power, it was the fuel surge on track i struggled with. Now with the fuel light on i can power around roundabouts with no problems, previously it would drop down on to 4 cylinders with that little fuel.

Adam

You'll find a huge difference with the upped line size even with the 650s. My R dropped a full 1.0 over 5000 rpm with out retuning (550cc injectors went from mid to upper 13s at psi to 12's). I just had the feed side of the factory fuel rail modified with a tig'ed on fitting. The rail is plenty big but the lines aren't even quite 1/4" ID. I also welded on a fitting at outlet from the tank.

I had to drop subframe as i spliced into the factory fuel lines, i didnt want to use any unwanted lines at all. So it was a case of drop frame, measure, make line, lift subframe, check, repeat etc. Subframe up and down a few times. I am only using the link pipe between saddles, and part of the original feed & return line, everything else is braided. 6AN braided fits perfect in the factory channel under the car. Looks awesome from underneath. The factory lines with an uprated pump probably would be fine for more power, it was the fuel surge on track i struggled with. Now with the fuel light on i can power around roundabouts with no problems, previously it would drop down on to 4 cylinders with that little fuel.

Adam

Hmm.. I am planning on reusing the return line, attached to the surge tank. Having never dropped the subframe, I don't know how feasible that is- is just the very last 12" or so of the line flexible, where the quick connect goes on to the sender? - I could splice a fitting from that plastic tubing & run 8mm tubing up over the tank back to where the surge tank will be located, rather than replace the line all the way to the left unit.

IMG_1899.jpg

You'll find a huge difference with the upped line size even with the 650s. My R dropped a full 1.0 over 5000 rpm with out retuning (550cc injectors went from mid to upper 13s at psi to 12's). I just had the feed side of the factory fuel rail modified with a tig'ed on fitting. The rail is plenty big but the lines aren't even quite 1/4" ID. I also welded on a fitting at outlet from the tank.

I already made a much larger rail, with a elbow inlet instead of that awful 90? fitting

XRfuelRail.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

Can you clarify your post?

Not clear what you are referring to with "full 1.0" - do you mean your AFR dropped? Honestly doesn't make sense, since larger lines don't equate to increased delivered volume (without higher output pumps, etc to go with) - I've logged fuel pressure, injector duty cycle, AFR's from the get go - AFR didn't change for me (all other things being equal) unless I altered the tune, or when I installed the higher output DW300 FP - which was needed around 350AWHP, I'm running 450AWHP on just the DW300, stock lines and the larger volume rail.

Its not too much work to drop the rear subframe, I did it outside the garage on stands with one large Jack.
You could splice into the factory lines, i'm glad i didn't on mine as the feed line was rusty, when i took it out i kinked it and it snapped. if you want a bit more space just drop the viscous bolt out and the tank straps and it will give you enough room to pull the lines over the tank once disconnected.
To be honest i couldnt quite remember the routing of the lines so i dropped it to work that out but now i know i can tell you which way they run if you need that info?
Adam

Awesome car
I always pondered the idea of going awd with my 850 especially sine xc are hitting he junk yards...
Would you recommend it.... I mean I heard bad things about the xc but never had any personal experience.

Also does the c70 frame come with all the cross members of is that something you added

Thanks
Jack

Awesome car
I always pondered the idea of going awd with my 850 especially sine xc are hitting he junk yards...
Would you recommend it.... I mean I heard bad things about the xc but never had any personal experience.

Also does the c70 frame come with all the cross members of is that something you added

Thanks
Jack

Personally yes i love the AWD system, was great fun in the snow too. If you get an AWD system that done 150k and chuck it in the car you may have problems. The main thing is making sure the splines are all good, i then used a new S60R coupling shaft as its hardened and i have had no trouble. The rear end on mine has done around 160k, i changed driveshaft seals in the diff and new rear wheel bearings, and diff oil, other than that its as is. Its miles better having independent rear suspension and the AWD system has no torque steer and very little understeer.

The C70 braces and subframe are factory. But from the convertible model only, the coupe has the same as an 850 with rubber bushes and lack of braces.

Adam

Not clear what you are referring to with "full 1.0" - do you mean your AFR dropped? Honestly doesn't make sense, since larger lines don't equate to increased delivered volume (without higher output pumps, etc to go with) - I've logged fuel pressure, injector duty cycle, AFR's from the get go - AFR didn't change for me (all other things being equal) unless I altered the tune, or when I installed the higher output DW300 FP - which was needed around 350AWHP, I'm running 450AWHP on just the DW300, stock lines and the larger volume rail.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. I was running near 14.0:1 AFR's at 18psi from about 5500 rpm on (for nearly 2 years amazingly with new mahles in it). No amount of fuel pump helped. Ended up replacing the lines from the pump all the way to the rail with AN6, new filter and a couple other things and it dropped into the high 12's, low 13's with out changing a thing (this is like 2006'ish so pre-turbo tuner). Made a huge difference.

Now, there are other contributing factors, I'm sure the old fuel filter could have been a big portion of this. Could have simply just been fairly restricted and was dropping pressure. Either way, it was a simple enough thing to do to move from what is probably about 3/16 at best hose (it's an inner sleeve that it's actually running thru) to 3/8 ID.

63083445.jpg

You can see how bad that is! I can't believe it did this for years.
83404932.jpg

(I wish I had pictures of the entire run).

Anyways, didn't mean for the thread jack.

Back