• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 GT. A reasonable project.

Thanks, all! Really appreciate the kind words. I put on another 50-60 miles over the weekend, so the car is due for its first oil change. A local photographer has been anxious to get out and shoot this car for some sort of minor feature, so that's penciled in for next Sunday (assuming I don't break something in the meantime).

On a positive note, it's much happier to putt around than it used to be, and the new shifter is worlds better than the previous.

On a less positive note, the clutch release bearing is making lots of noise (hoping that additional bleeding will eliminate this), the transmission is rather whiney, and the engine has a tendency to die when the fan turns on after the car has been running for a while. I also noticed that my oil level appeared to have dropped from full to half on the dipstick. Really hoping this is just related to initial run-in and oil finding its way into all the spots it used to be. I am very paranoid about oil consumption.

Next up:
- Change out oil and filter for a fresh batch of Driven BR30 5w-30 engine break-in oil
- Drain transmission and refill with 1 quart of Redline MTL and .7 quart of 75w-90 GL-4 synthetic gear oil
- Bleed clutch
- Change fan to run on low speed rather than high speed
- Check horn wiring
- Drive 400 miles

A local photographer has been anxious to get out and shoot this car for some sort of minor feature, so that's penciled in for next Sunday.

giphy.gif

I also noticed that my oil level appeared to have dropped from full to half on the dipstick. Really hoping this is just related to initial run-in and oil finding its way into all the spots it used to be. I am very paranoid about oil consumption.

:x:

Looks fantastic- you've done some epic work here. Hope to see this thing at a Midwest meet or two in the future.

This car is so good. Probably the most aesthetically pleasing engine bay I've ever seen.

Well, ****. Thanks! I love your 142.

:nancy:

Have to get photos before the engine bay is forever unclean after a couple thousand miles.

Looks fantastic- you've done some epic work here. Hope to see this thing at a Midwest meet or two in the future.

Midwest meets? What are those? Do those even exist anymore?!

Update. I'm about 300 miles in. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I've really been enjoying the car over the past few days. Driving home from a local car meetup on Tuesday night in the sunset felt like car nirvana compared to the past couple years of frustration. I need more of this.

48431441037_5af24ebba3_b.jpg

Engine is still there, nothing has exploded and made a mess. What a treat.
48431441107_2129bc8403_b.jpg

I couldn't resist adding a little XC40 flair to the back. Also not sure that I ever showed this R-SPORT INTERNATIONAL decal before...
48431441052_4cdd071239_b.jpg

It was neat going out for the photo shoot. I can't wait to see how the photos and write up turn out. I snagged a few photos with my phone while we were there.

48431298856_b54fed88ff_b.jpg

48431298826_69038eab14_b.jpg

I'm currently working to arrange some dyno tuning with someone experienced in tuning similar turbo cars running Megasquirt. If/when that happens, I will be equal parts nervous and excited.

Awesome news Tom. The car looks great and it's a relief to hear you've been able to get some enjoyable miles behind the wheel.

Looks amazing !!!

Your project is making me push to finish mine, Just bought a gps speedo and it works perfect.
Hopefully I will finish mine by a couple of monthe except for the paint
Kuddos for an amazing outcome !!!
DZ

I couldn't resist adding a little XC40 flair to the back. Also not sure that I ever showed this R-SPORT INTERNATIONAL decal before...
48431441052_4cdd071239_b.jpg

keep up the hard work and soon you'll be a "Sport Full-Time Associate"

Never seen that little 'clothing tag' emblem before. Adhesive? Does it lip over the tail light when the trunk is closed (got a pic?). Cool little badge.

Back