• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

cutting IPD lowering springs 240

tog244

does anyone know how many coils you can cut off of ipd lowering springs with bilstein b6 shocks before you have to worry about the spring popping out of its seat? i cut stock springs on stock shocks awhile ago and the hose clamps holding the bottom of the spring to the strut tube made me fail inspection. I want to go lower with my springs and struts but not so low that i cant pass inspection in a year

You can't cut any coils without that problem. Notice how the tops and bottoms of the springs have a nice flat so that they can key into the seat? Once you get rid of that, all bets are off. Coil overs, uncut springs, or sketchy junk. The choice is yours.

You can't cut any coils without that problem. Notice how the tops and bottoms of the springs have a nice flat so that they can key into the seat? Once you get rid of that, all bets are off. Coil overs, uncut springs, or sketchy junk. The choice is yours.

Sure he can. Just move the bottom perch up!

you might get away with ~1 - 1.5 turns. there isn't a lot of compression in the IPD springs as it is. If you are wanting low and adjustable, a set of Ben's coil over conversion struts are the way to go.

I have cut 1.5 coils off of IPD coils on several 240’s- gives an even stance. Coils will be loose at full droop, but seat on compression.

I have cut 1.5 coils off of IPD coils on several 240?s- gives an even stance. Coils will be loose at full droop, but seat on compression.

I've done the same. Rear lower are held in place by the retainer, fronts didn't unseat, just unloaded. It made the car sit properly, and it handled well. I replaced them down the road when I went to a higher rate spring, but there's nothing wrong with adjusting your coil length a bit.

Back