• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 turbo upgrade

pathfinder

Hi guys

It's year 1997, 940 FT. Low pressure turbo. TD04H-13C
I have Rica chips and manual boost controller. Plan to up some power. Standard power is 130bhp+

Is it ok if i use TD0H-16T ? (standard turbo from S60-T5 2.3 ,250bhp version).Plan to get 200bhp only, considering mileage is 300,000km

Will there any big turbo lag by using 16T ? it's automatic

Thanks

16T is a great turbo for that power level.

Lag will be minimal. Similar to the 13c you have now. It’s still a small turbo.

Complicated is relative. I’m assuming this is off of a fwd Volvo, if so it will need to be reclocked which is not hard. There’s lots of postings on here about how to do it. Otherwise it bolts to the manifold and everything.

If you have a TD05 exhaust housing Im pretty sure the 16t fits..? But no its not difficult to clock.
There also really isn't much lag at all with any of the TD04/5 series turbos

With switching to a 16t I think the most difficult part will likely be the connection to the exhaust.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 16t turbos out of the fwd Volvos use a different exhaust flange, so you will likely need to weld a different connection on your downpipe if you aren't changing your exhaust

With switching to a 16t I think the most difficult part will likely be the connection to the exhaust.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the 16t turbos out of the fwd Volvos use a different exhaust flange, so you will likely need to weld a different connection on your downpipe if you aren't changing your exhaust

You can use a conical exit turbine housing from a TD04HL turbo on a 16T. IIRC these were found on the TD04HL-15G turbos on early 850s. The turbine housings then changed to the more typical straight exit variety. The conical exit housings are getting harder to find, however in the past I've had luck with asking around on the FWD forums, etc.

The stock 13C is a "non-HL" version and the turbine housings are not interchangeable between 13C and 15G/16T/18T, etc.

However, to the OP, I would start with upping the boost on your 13C before worrying about swapping the turbo. Either a MBC or a different wastegate actuator. (ex: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAMBA-Adju...739824&hash=item3d2b661e82:g:dHEAAOSwefRbYm2K)

You can use a conical exit turbine housing from a TD04HL turbo on a 16T. IIRC these were found on the TD04HL-15G turbos on early 850s. The turbine housings then changed to the more typical straight exit variety. The conical exit housings are getting harder to find, however in the past I've had luck with asking around on the FWD forums, etc.

The stock 13C is a "non-HL" version and the turbine housings are not interchangeable between 13C and 15G/16T/18T, etc.

However, to the OP, I would start with upping the boost on your 13C before worrying about swapping the turbo. Either a MBC or a different wastegate actuator. (ex: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAMBA-Adju...739824&hash=item3d2b661e82:g:dHEAAOSwefRbYm2K)

Thanks

with all original parts, using mbc, how much boost the 13C could handle? estimate what bhp i should get?

what is 13C max bhp can generate?
what's the CFM value of the 13C ?

if with Rica chips and mbc, what max safe boost can i get?

thanks

original.jpg

The 13c will flow about 0.14m3/s = 300 cfm of air, if you dare spinning it to the edge of the compressor map. Given that for turbo's a guesstimate of hp per cfm is about 100hp/150cfm, 200 is around the max of what it will make.

As for the chips Redblockpowered and me sell, 1.0 bar is maximum as tested, I would assume the same to hold for the Rica chips. Any link to those, cannot find anything about them:-P

Thanks bro

How about original injectors and fuel pump? could hold 180-200bhp ?

Anyway, what are original injectors cc and fuel pump lph?

Thanks bro

How about original injectors and fuel pump? could hold 180-200bhp ?

Anyway, what are original injectors cc and fuel pump lph?

Original injectors are 335cc, good for 220hp as well at 90% duty cycle. The pump in the tank is just a lift pump, the underside one is a bosch 039 or 068 and good for the same power. You can replace it by a 040 for 200lph or a 044 for 300lph

Mind that crank-hp and wheel-hp differ by a percentage depending on driveline losses

Last edited:
The pump in the tank is just a lift pump, the underside one is a bosch 039 or 068 and good for the same power. You can replace it by a 040 for 200lph or a 044 for 300lph

Later 940 Turbos do not have an inline pump under the car AFAIK.

My 97 certainly doesn't have one.

Back