home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-08-2019, 03:42 PM   #26
Jack
junkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32RennSport View Post
Speaking of stress fatigue I just snapped an aftermarket hollow rear swap bar on my Golf as I articulated through a steep driveway, luckily it let go at .5 mph and not while cornering on the track at who knows what speed. It's been on the car for 9 years, 9 very hard years and 75k miles. I've seen and or experienced my fair share of mechanical failures in my automotive career, most people have been seriously lucky SOBs!

I took a VW bar off at PNP once - found it hollow ... WTF and left it there .. thin walled stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishBrick
Don’t bother, I would literally rather throw them away than give you the pleasure. I will never sell to you.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #27
IansPlatinum
Board Member

Quote:
Speaking of stress fatigue I just snapped an aftermarket hollow rear swap bar on my Golf as I articulated through a steep driveway, luckily it let go at .5 mph and not while cornering on the track at who knows what speed. It's been on the car for 9 years, 9 very hard years and 75k miles. I've seen and or experienced my fair share of mechanical failures in my automotive career, most people have been seriously lucky SOBs!
Those components are only supposed to be able to experience deflections that cause stresses below the endurance limit... hence, crappy engineering at the component level.
'73 1800es - "Sunny"
IansPlatinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:30 PM   #28
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
I did this exact thing with my 2001 volvo s60. Front sway bar snapped at the support point on the subframe. Like you it was in a driveway on a steep bit at .5 mph. It was a solid bar though, pretty weird.

65' 122s (weekend cruiser)
67' 122s (Rallyx racer)
82' 242 dl
83' 242 glt (v8 turbo swap project)
sspony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 PM   #29
sspony
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
For sure they did. So did poly bushings, age, design and my hard driving. It takes few min with a welder to reinforce the mount as shown in TSB, just play it safe and add the plates
I haven't seen the TSB for that reinforcement, have a link? Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #30
hiperfauto
Board Member

hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #31
sspony
Board Member

That's awesome, Thanks!