home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 04-03-2019, 12:37 AM   #1
darkmountain
Board Member

Default Preparing for a long trip in my 240!

I am going to be taking a very long trip in my 93 245 at the end of this month. My band is playing some shows and will be taking my car. I have not mapped out the miles but I believe it will be somewhere around 5-7k.It currently has about 206*** miles.

In its current state it drives great. I have never had any issues in the year of ownership. I have had many items addressed such as rear main, plugs, cap and rotor, valve's have been adjusted, breaks and rotors, diff oil in the last 4k, oil changes every 3k with Castorl GTX and Mann filter. I always fix things as they show up. It is really a nice running wagon as I really enjoy driving my Volvo

Is there anything I should do to make sure my car is ready for a long distant trip with driving with minimal breaks? I have some extra room and already have basic tools and small stash of things I already carry such as fuses, AMM, various relays, run flat, blue shop manual, tool set, safety supplies.

I plan to have my very trusted mechanic give it a good look over just because I am very busy with work up until I leave for the trip.

If you all have any specific things I should take or have done I would gladly take the advise! Like I said I already do all I can to keep up and make sure my Volvo runs well and properly.

Thanks!
darkmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 AM   #2
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

AAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:47 AM   #3
darkmountain
Board Member

*** Also last side note just to add *** I do very often take the car on 1-4 hour trips. Probably 1-3 times a month playing out of town shows. So it gets on the highway just as much as the city. I have noticed a small bit of oil dripping from just behind the bell housing and on the transmission pan after long drives but not enough to leak on the ground because I have been checking with cardboard. I can't believe that could be the rear main again? I had it done less than half year ago. But other than that no issues have come up.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
darkmountain
Board Member

haha and yes I do have AAA
Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 AM   #5
white855T
Board Member

Did you use a genuine Volvo rear main seal or aftermarket seal? Aftermarket seals will eventually leak.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #6
cleanflametrap
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmountain View Post
... I always fix things as they show up. It is really a nice running wagon as I really enjoy driving my Volvo. ...
This keeping up with every little thing is your best prep. As an experienced long-trip veteran in nothing but our aging 240 fleet, and survivor of many wish-I'd-checked-that issues on the road, I'll offer a short list of simple checks your mechanic would do.

1) Make certain the alternator brushes have plenty on them.

2) Check brake pads have plenty on them.

3) Don't be surprised by a rotting exhaust.

4) Check the in-tank fuel pump is working.

A drip from a rear main seal isn't going to stop you on the road, and as you've had it replaced you now believe even Genuine Volvo seals made from Viton eventually leak as well.

Last edited by cleanflametrap; 04-03-2019 at 11:20 AM..
cleanflametrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
towerymt
the real Towery

I would second the alternator/brushes. And belts.

Alt, v-belts, timing belt, water pump, radiator, radiator/heater hoses, fuel pump relay, fuses, crank position sensor, cap/rotor. Anything that can suddenly leave the car dead are worth considering as spares.

I like having a voltage gauge in the car to warn me of charging issues. It's come in handy a few times...massive oil leak from the cam seal onto the belts...worn brushes...worn out belts....dying battery that wouldn't hold a charge overnight.

I've had an ignition rotor fail where the center caved in and finally the car died and would not restart. Leading up to the night it failed, it would fail to hot-restart about once every week or two for a couple months. Even if you replaced it recently, I would definitely carry a spare. Coil, coil wire, and ign. module too if you have spares.

I carry a spare crank position sensor. The wiring harness is subjected to heat and the insulation often fails. This could easily leave the car dead on the road, but it's such a small inexpensive spare to carry, and only takes a few minutes to replace....if you have enough extensions.

I've always had a few extra radiator hoses and a length of small hose to patch up the hose to the overflow tank hoses if needed. Bring a few feet of heater hose and you can bypass the heater core if something were to happen to your heater hoses out on the road.

Hose clamps, coat hanger, bailing wire, zip ties, duct tape...the usual stuff for emergency fixes. Tire plug kit, air compressor, spare tire that holds air and has rubber on it.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanflametrap View Post
This keeping up with every little thing is your best prep. As an experienced long-trip veteran in nothing but our aging 240 fleet, and survivor of many wish-I'd-checked-that issues on the road, I'll offer a short list of simple checks your mechanic would do.

1) Make certain the alternator brushes have plenty on them.

2) Check brake pads have plenty on them.

3) Don't be surprised by a rotting exhaust.

4) Check the in-tank fuel pump is working.

A drip from a rear main seal isn't going to stop you on the road, and as you've had it replaced you now believe even Genuine Volvo seals made from Viton eventually leak as well.
You pretty much just nailed on the head every problem I've ever encountered on the side of the road in a 240 (except I've never had a brake issue).

I've had a breakdown due to a worn brush assembly, had my rotted exhaust break about 25 miles into a 1,000+ mile road trip, and broke down in the mountains due to failed tank pump wiring, leading to vapor lock. Now I always carry a spare alternator or 3, and some brush assemblies. But I've switched to a Denso 100amp and I'm hoping for the best now.
93' 245 m47
90' 744 AW70
94' M-Edition Miata, 93k
95' Camry auto, 246k
Past:
80' 242gt m46
88' 245T m47
92' 945T AW71
94' 945T AW71

People think Volvos are good cars until they drive cars that are actually good.
iHateVolvoPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #9
Harlard
80/20 speed parts club

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerymt View Post
I would second the alternator/brushes. And belts.

Alt, v-belts, timing belt, water pump, radiator, radiator/heater hoses, fuel pump relay, fuses, crank position sensor, cap/rotor. Anything that can suddenly leave the car dead are worth considering as spares.

I like having a voltage gauge in the car to warn me of charging issues. It's come in handy a few times...massive oil leak from the cam seal onto the belts...worn brushes...worn out belts....dying battery that wouldn't hold a charge overnight.

I've had an ignition rotor fail where the center caved in and finally the car died and would not restart. Leading up to the night it failed, it would fail to hot-restart about once every week or two for a couple months. Even if you replaced it recently, I would definitely carry a spare. Coil, coil wire, and ign. module too if you have spares.

I carry a spare crank position sensor. The wiring harness is subjected to heat and the insulation often fails. This could easily leave the car dead on the road, but it's such a small inexpensive spare to carry, and only takes a few minutes to replace....if you have enough extensions.

I've always had a few extra radiator hoses and a length of small hose to patch up the hose to the overflow tank hoses if needed. Bring a few feet of heater hose and you can bypass the heater core if something were to happen to your heater hoses out on the road.

Hose clamps, coat hanger, bailing wire, zip ties, duct tape...the usual stuff for emergency fixes. Tire plug kit, air compressor, spare tire that holds air and has rubber on it.
Tools also would be M10-M24 sockets and wrenches, O2 sensor socket, spark plug socket pry bar, gloves, screwdrivers, cordless soldering kit extensions, crimp connectors, crimper, pliers (needle nose and regular), dykes, utility knife mallet, small hydraulic jack, hex key and torx set if it has later model parts.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
cmsuter

Where at in NC? I'm in Charlotte and also play music
cmsuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #11
DD Ranch
Board Member

Things to take?

Take a camera or phone so we can see how it went
Old 04-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #12
Kjets On a Plane
Devoid of Luxury

Location: SoCal Rat-Racer/Douche/Rich Puke Playground, Formerly Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlard View Post
Tools also would be M10-M24 sockets and wrenches, O2 sensor socket, spark plug socket pry bar, gloves, screwdrivers, cordless soldering kit extensions, crimp connectors, crimper, pliers (needle nose and regular), dykes, utility knife mallet, small hydraulic jack, hex key and torx set if it has later model parts.
02 sensor socket?

If you haven't made sure the engine isn't kivving out/fuel injection is running tip top before running full-load on the highway, you've probably got bigger problems.

Fouling up the 02 sensor in a stock 240 running tip top should take a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
If you send me $20$14.99, I'll send you a how-to explaining how to make $20$14.99 from people on the internet.
Kjets On a Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #13
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD Ranch View Post
Things to take?

Take a camera or phone so we can see how it went
I always document my volvo break downs on Snapchat so my friends with better cars can make fun of me.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #14
15A
World's Oldest Brewery

Only issue I've ever had consistently on long trips was the adjuster bolts breaking. Local hardware started carrying 6mm full threaded grade 8 bolts in various lengths, so I pulled them all, ran a tap through the nut, a dab of grease and new bolts.

(IF YOU WANT ME TO LEAVE YOU FB AFTER THE FACT, JUST SAY)

I didn't sleep well last night so I made my coffee this morning with Red Bull instead of water.
I got halfway to work before I realized I forgot my car.
15A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15A View Post
Only issue I've ever had consistently on long trips was the adjuster bolts breaking. Local hardware started carrying 6mm full threaded grade 8 bolts in various lengths, so I pulled them all, ran a tap through the nut, a dab of grease and new bolts.
I don't understand how those bolts could ever break on a trip. They are only under stress when adjusting the belt.
There are like a hundred redblocks in your signature! WTF!
Old 04-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #16
15A
World's Oldest Brewery

They're small and under stress....and 30 yrs old. Rust doesn't take long to weaken one either.

If something can go wrong.....it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachechef View Post
I'm working on it.......lol
Old 04-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #17
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
I don't understand how those bolts could ever break on a trip. They are only under stress when adjusting the belt.
+1. You set the tension with them, tighten the main (13mm usually) bolt, then back off the little 10mm. BTDT.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #18
thismachine13
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateVolvoPeople View Post
I always document my volvo break downs on Snapchat so my friends with better cars can make fun of me.
To comment on the "better cars bit" not the "Snapchat" bit........I always laugh a little on the inside when I'm rolling down the highway and see a car 20 odd years newer than mine stranded on the shoulder.
thismachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #19
15A
World's Oldest Brewery

By the time I get them, they are about fused in place from rust then forced to the point of weakening or breaking when adjusted.

YMMV
Old 04-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #20
iHateVolvoPeople
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismachine13 View Post
To comment on the "better cars bit" not the "Snapchat" bit........I always laugh a little on the inside when I'm rolling down the highway and see a car 20 odd years newer than mine stranded on the shoulder.
Lol, bet it’s a GM 99% of the time!

Quote:
By the time I get them, they are about fused in place from rust then forced to the point of weakening or breaking when adjusted.

YMMV
Fair point, gotta PB blast the crap out of them. But at least you don’t need to tensioner to tension the belts.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
S70T5fivespeed
Board Member

Quote:
Quote of the day lol
In the barn: 67 123GT
S70T5fivespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #22
2turbotoys
Salaminizer

I had the alternator adjustment bolts break about 4 times in a month (on a 740 tho), and couldn't figure out what the problem was. The culprit revealed itself when the car died pulling into my driveway. I popped the hood, and the alternator and half of the large cast aluminum mounting bracket were laying there, snapped off...not sure how that happened but I had another bracket luckily.

1979 242 B21 on MS, waiting on L33
2006 V50 T5 AWD 16 PSI +
2turbotoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #23
NotSoFresh
Sick ****** T-Brick Prick

Quote:

YMMV
If I have an adjuster bolt that breaks, I just get a hockey stick and lever the alt/pump/compressor over, and tighten the mount bolts with the other hand.
If you are not Canadian, I suppose a broom handle would work.
My 79 has an 100 amp bosch alternator that is totally wrong for the car, I think I got it out of a 960...I made the mount out of parts from 3 cars, one a ford, and there is no adjuster bolt. Above method is only way to adjust belt.
NotSoFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #24
tiredoldtommy
Board Member

Drive it til it quits. Then fix it and do it again.

----------------------------------------------
'03 C70 HPT drop top 95k (stylin cruiser)
'83 242 turbo, 305k (ridge runner)
'84 245 NA, 248k (hauler/tractor)
'66 New Yorker, 440 4bbl (needs a new home)
'84 244tic (project or parts? definitely parts)
tiredoldtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:46 PM   #25
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

Quote:
They're small and under stress....and 30 yrs old. Rust doesn't take long to weaken one either.

If something can go wrong.....it will.

I'm working on it.......lol
it is not under stress during daily driving, I can turn mine by hand, as anyone should be able to.
Are you serious?