• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

blowing black smoke

A

Anonymous

she blows black smoke when the pedal to the rug, more black smoke excatly when it pings(time to time), excess carbon? the exhaust smells funny to(not rich smelling) anybody ever have this? it has done this from day 1, it used to ping alot (9 months ago) not so much anymore, my balls are telling me it's carbon, anyone?

how much smoke? and do you mean between it changes gears during high RPMs? I would say oil but i would have to see it. Take your plugs out and see how they look. also do you loose any oil?

88 740, starts to black smoke @ around 3000, all the way to 6000, not blue at all, in other words, not oil, there will be more black smoke the instant it pings(looking in the rear view mirror), plugs look fine, and the amount is considerable, like a diesel working hard

11 psi, 92 octane, i swear to god that it's carbon(smells like it), but this much? thing runs great, idle could be a bit smoother, it's a dog for the first 20 ft, then goes, it will runs like garbage when i first start it in the mourning, especially when colder,(outside air), it runs to 1100, for 5 seconds, then will die, restart- runs to 1100 and drops low, to arond300, then back up to 1100 ,toggles back and forth from 1100 to 300, until it warms up then it's fine, related?or what is this problem? thanks

wouldn't that cause a lean condition? the 740 (i've had it for about 9 months) used to ping like a mofo before i even touched anything, (stock boost etc), poured everything i could think of in the tank, pulled the injectors, sprayed cleens in there,.... pinging is not a big problem now with the elevated boost, some old people owned the car and it is extremely mint, thought they idle around the city with it, i dunno, weird

A big vaccum leak could cause it to run rich under boost - When the car enters boost, the vac leak turns into a boost leak and it pisses metered air out of the hole. Then you get too much fuel. Of course, the O2 sensor should see this and correct for it fairly quickly. It would have to be a pretty big leak, I think.

You'd be surprised how many problems are caused by mysterious vacuum/boost leaks.

Zee said:
Failed Engine Coolant Temperature sensor?

yeah i was going to say the same thing... with that you'll find that the car idles/drives well until it heats up... then it idles like crap (because its still pumping the 5th injector = extra fuel youre not burning and its lighting down the pipe)

but yeah, if you get some fuel dump or detonation you'll get a nice cloud of thick black smoke. Its just part of the volvo system aparently. I have yet to hear anyone that has "fixed" this

Back