• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone in NJ/NYC willing to assist me w/ tuning my 740T? Also a question my dad has!

89_740Turbo

Hey everyone,

I'll start off with the question my father has. He owns a 2006 V50 T5 and it recently died in the most inopportune time. It's got about 300,000 miles on it and he drives it to and from work everyday, 1 hour and 45 minutes each way. Yesterday, the timing belt went on it and he was quoted a $2,000 repair cost. I feel really bad because he doesn't really have the funds to buy a nice, newer used car, so he's in a big bind right now. Is a $2,000 estimate reasonable? That includes parts and labor. If the car isn't really worth fixing that leads me into the next question...

Can I pull the turbo off of it and put it on my 740T? If my memory serves me correctly, the V50 T5 has a 16T turbo on it but I could be wrong. I was previously shopping for a turbo upgrade and then some things happened where I had to use the funds I was setting aside for the turbo. If my dad ends up getting rid of his V50, I have a free turbo at my disposal and don't have to worry about buying a turbo.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You’ll need to clock the turbo for rwd and fab up a downpipe. Also a 300k mike turbo is probably nearing the end of its useful life if I had to guess.

Rebuilding a turbo isn’t necessarily for the faint of heart. Perhaps the process isn’t too hard but you’d need to buy a GOOD rebuild kit ($100) and then pay another $60 or so to have it balanced. Bet you could get a good used one for around that price and save yourself time.

$2000 sounds like a low-end estimate. I.e. assuming you can take the head off, replace a few valves, and put it back on.

Spend $2K on something boring, Japanese, reliable, appliance-like. Camry/Accord. I think the V50 is done for.

If it is a v50, it does not have a 16t. Its a Borg Warner k04 turbo made specific for Volvo and the turbine housing is cast into manifold. So basically useless on a red block.

$2000 sounds like a low-end estimate. I.e. assuming you can take the head off, replace a few valves, and put it back on.

Spend $2K on something boring, Japanese, reliable, appliance-like. Camry/Accord. I think the V50 is done for.

I think this is probably the unfortunate truth here. I'd hate to spend $2,000 to $3,000 on a motor fix and then have the tranny go, for instance. A Japanese appliance sounds like a better fit for what your Dad is up to, presumably with an automatic. Good luck!

Back