• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Pressure Plate Bolts

riseosiris

Modem Killa
Hey all, My pressure plate bolts have become stripped in the heads. Luckily I was able to remove them with a pair of Vice Grips. Is there any reason you have to use the factory allen head cap bolts? Could I replace them with some 8.8+ hardwear with normal bolt heads? I don't think that clearance would be an issue. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
-Lloyd

18yr240t said:
I would just make sure the bolt grade 8.8 =us grade 5, 10.9 = us grade 8 I have a felling the pressure plate bolts are 10.9's...

So wait, 8.8 is actually a LOWER grade than 8?
-Lloyd

I'm running 12.9 grade bolts. Reason is I had no idea what grade Volvo used, and since I was converting from auto to manual T5, I needed to start from scratch, and I wanted to make sure I went overkill rather than underkill. What I discovered is that for 1.25" 8mm 12.9 bolts of at least 8.8 grade, I have to go with a socket head. Couldn't find any standard hex head bolts.

BTW: my 12.9 bolts cost 1/3 as much as Volvo's 8.8

FYI, I went to ACE Hardware today...man it's my new favorite store! They had an OBSCENE amount of bolts/nuts there. Found Hex head 10.9 bolts EXACTLY like the factory ones...only they're $2.25 cheaper A PIECE! =o) Getrag is going in tomorrow!
-Lloyd

Back