• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Brown 244 GL

Yeah, that's what i want to do, completely strip it and see what's needed, but i know it's alot of holes :D We'll see, need to find a garage that would allow me to keep the car in and do the work, but mostly here, in the UK, the garages are used to store the car and nothing else, as it's just tiny lol :D

ADam

Nice work! what kind of paint is the black coat?

Thanks! :)
Its a simple bitumen-based underbody coating. It's prone to crack over time (when it really dries up) so I will yearly spray it up with some wax or transformer oil.

Yeah, that's what i want to do, completely strip it and see what's needed, but i know it's alot of holes :D We'll see, need to find a garage that would allow me to keep the car in and do the work, but mostly here, in the UK, the garages are used to store the car and nothing else, as it's just tiny lol :D

ADam

Sucks to hear that you need to look for another garage. :-(
I should consider myself lucky that I am able to work in a dry and big enough garage.

I hope you will find a good garage to save that 242! :nod:

Cheers

Tried to start up the blue car today. As all the underdash wiring was missing/fubarred, I had to improvise a few wires but it is running. Ok, without coolant and alternator, and a cracked exhaust before cat, but it starts easily. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsLDBYIw9Js

Local volvo buddy came and we wrestled out its rear end, as this will go into the brown, along with the whole driveline. Engine will get a downgrade with the carburetor for MOT, and get back the LH after that. This seems to be the easiest way, and the brown's original engine becomes the spare.

Finally the right wheelarch is welded on too.

Now only the front passenger door needs a triangle patch, and major bodywork is done. :nod:

And painted with epoxy:

It looks smooth because i did my first bondo and sanding job in my life. Its fibreglass filler to cover the welding seam. Some more is still needed but as progress is slow i dont want to see bare metal surfaces.

Great work so far :)

Thanks! :-P
Whats up with your 242?

Front passenger door needs a little prep work and this cute little patch can be welded on:

And because I saw this:
Yes I can :zeeall:
GecmhdHJskw.jpg

I pressed out the bushings of my torque rods, and saw rust on both, at the axle end inner surface. I came up with this little mod to prevent snapping:

Left is already grinded to healthy metal, right still has some rust you can see.
What do you think?

Last edited:
That should be sturdy :-P

My 242 project is on hold. I'm having a new house built which soon is done, that is eating all my time and money. And after that I'm going to build my garage, so the 242 have to wait a few years sadly.

Finally painted the engine bay with 2K PUR Acrylic. After lots and lots of wirewheeling and hand sanding it with 180 grit, it is quite satisfying to look at it now. Had a lot of trouble with removing partially weathered zinc under the brake master cylinder and few other areas, so i hope it will hold up well.

Paint is not too nice upclose because it was sprayed wet on wet after Epoxy, and also it became a bit dusty so I guess i still need to improve my "paint booth" setup. :oops:
Any tips and practices with it in a dusty garage?
But all in all I'm satisfied with it, its my first 2K topcoat job, and somewhat presentable.

Last edited:
As I borrowed an engine hoist to help out 12david34 with his engine swap, I quickly swapped the B230F+M47 in to the brown to get it done now aswell.
Fortunately the blue car was well maintaned, so I dont need to change too much parts on the engine now. :)

I really need to finish up that remaining door and quickly do the paintjob on this thing. Cold weather just came, and I need to hurry up before it gets even colder.

Last edited:
Paint, well, i got a few good ideas from a painter buddy, so i'll do the prep work in a few weeks i hope.

Meanwhile got the struts sorted out (-1,5 coils), tie and control arm ball joints are nice and tight, they will stay there.
Front brakes will get a fresh set of seals, rear brakes sent to the sandblaster along with a lot of suspension parts.

Bolted on the power steering, and it already made a little oil puddle under the left tie rod end... And its not even under pressure... We will see how that goes when i start using the car.

Also, as I seen this: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showpost.php?p=3958653&postcount=11
I did exactly the same with the beige car's early VDO cluster and two spare 86+ VDO clusters (thanks 12david34).
Gauge face bolts on perfectly, trip meter opening needs a little work.
Also i had to trim the PCB of the speedo and the PCB of the cluster to fit it together.
I have to paint the needle white, or come up with a nice color and paint the other needles too.

Fits like a glove.

(It was originally a Dutch car, so I'm not chasing dreams about a rustfree chassy... )

sorry about that :) here in holland the peaple are scared to drive on snow and ice, so instead whe drive in the winter time on a big layer of solt :roll:

but nice project youre doing! keep up the good work

(It was originally a Dutch car, so I'm not chasing dreams about a rustfree chassy... )

sorry about that :) here in holland the peaple are scared to drive on snow and ice, so instead whe drive in the winter time on a big layer of solt :roll:

but nice project youre doing! keep up the good work

Oh, don't worry, it is still a damn good donor car! Maintenance is the key.
And major body panels - if needed - can be cut out from it, because they are still in good condition. (untouched rear quarters for example) :)

By the way thanks!

Right quarter filler job is almost finished, a little filler is still needed and epoxy can be sprayed on.

Doors are also not so far from finishing stage:

Left quarter is taking shape also:

My father's painter friend told me that i shouldn't paint it home... Too messy, dusty, and weather is already too cold for that.
Looks like I'll paint it in a proper heated paint booth, so i dont need to mess with making a ****ty diy booth from thin foil. And paint will be pretty much presentable without polishing it right after. :nod:
I hope i can paint the car in the middle of november. It would be nice.

Last edited:
Wow, amazing commitment and excellent work! Looking forward to seeing it in paint.

M.

Wow, amazing commitment and excellent work! Looking forward to seeing it in paint.

M.

Thanks! Me too! :)

Looks great buddy! :)

Thanks adomz!

A bit of progress: I really need to turn the car around, because I have ****ty access to the left rear quarter for sanding. So i have to make the car moveable. And as I want progress too, I decided to finish the suspension paint and put it in place.

This required reinforcing the torq rods:

And removing heavy rust from the joints on the M47 crossmember:

Got most of the suspension sandblasted and powder coated, now the front control arms are already in place with new bushings. Two hardline needs a bit of work and it will get the struts in place too.

After sandblasting I sprayed the whole rear axle, trailing arms, the coupe's rear axle and a few other bits with epoxy.

Ignore the mess there, I had troubles with clogging paint gun, pouring paint all over the place and generally with the mess in the garage. :lol:
Also have to keep the garage temperature above 10C with a barrel stove, as the ambient temp just dropped near freezing point.

The question is, should I paint the axle brown? :-P

Last edited:
Wondering as to the cost of having all those parts powder coated. Leave the axle black.

Back