• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage 1966 220 what is this in the engine compartment?

dl242gt

The world of the smiling Dogo
My friends 220 made the ride to and from North Jersey to Carlisle without issue. It did run a bit warmer than optimal. Never got to total overheat though. I was looking at this add on piece on the engine and thought it may contribute to some extra heat. I think it's a block heater. If it is flowing hot coolant through it then the engine would run hotter. Not seen is the upper hose on the unit which runs along the inner fender to the side of the thermostat housing where the Aux air valve woud be on a B20E. As you can see in the picture the lower hose on it connects to the petcock.

I think this being in his car was great when the car was in AK. But now with the high rpms of freeway driving and hot east coast weather it doesn't seem ideal to have the hot coolant recirculate like that. Take it out?

Attachments

• IMG_6763smaller.jpg
    IMG_6763smaller.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 72
The heater system is separate from this. In the picture the lower hose on the silver unit is going down to the petcock where you drain the block. The upper hose on the unit that disappears out of the picture runs along the right inner fender and connects to the side of the thermostat housing. It has coolant flowing through it and the hoses are heater type hoses.

It looks like one of these block heaters.

circ-tank-heater.aspx

It might be circulating hot water headed for the radiator to the back of the head where the temp gauge sender lives. Try pinching the hose and see if the temps come down.

Back