• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1988 240 Won't Start (Sounds fuel related)

Johnnya101

Ever since I've gotten my 240, it's sometimes been hard to start. Today I had to pump the gas pedal to get it going quite a bit. Now it won't even start.

It has had the in tank pump replaced.

Fuses appear to be okay?

I don't hear anything when turning the key on. No priming.

Turns over fine. Does not catch at all.

How do I go about finding the issue? Sounds to me like the relay or fuel pump. How and what do I check?

Just checked the engine bay fuse. Was dirty. Cleaned it. No difference.

No fuel pump priming sounds at all.

I've read to jump some fuses and it will bypass the relay and tell me if the relay is bad?

Edit

Never mind, see a site with instructions and testing info. I will report back tomorrow. I really am thinking it's that darn relay.

Last edited:
I found that the TPS switch went bad on my wife's '90 245. Some days it would be fine other times it was hard to start. CEL came on finally, changed the switch and all is fine so far.

It was the relay! Jumped the fuses and it started right up. Found the relay sitting clipped to one of the clip holders, and it looks like a cheap replacement. Of course now it turns on the pump after unplugging and replugging it but still ordering a new relay.

New relay installed. Starts right up now. No pumping. Believe it or not, sounds a little bit quieter and smoother now with the new relay. Could that be possible from replacing a relay? I don't think so, but never know...

Back