• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sealing M41

Tfrasca

Is there any better method of sealing an M41 than the stock paper gaskets? I was told to not use any sealant on them, but the last time I resealed mine with new paper gaskets, it leaked from every single possible location. Im thinking the vent was obstructed because I can't imagine why else it would leak so much with new gaskets. Either way, I'd like it to stop leaking all over the trans mount and into the bell housing.

I have it apart (again) and am about to order gaskets. Is there any conventional wisdom about using sealant AND gaskets? Or just RTV? Or Hylomar? At this point, I'll try anything that sounds reasonable.

I used that red stuff that only dries where it's clamped and gets red sticky stuff all over the place. Maybe that's Hylomar? Anyway it doesn't leak a drop three years running.
A plugged vent wouldn't be good, if it was plugged.

I'd smear some white lithium grease on them, and bolt it together.

I used that red stuff that only dries where it's clamped and gets red sticky stuff all over the place. Maybe that's Hylomar? Anyway it doesn't leak a drop three years running.

I like the white lithium idea.

The Hylomar I have is the Universal Blue stuff and seems to work really well on other stuff. I'm hesitant to use anything thick because those bearing cap gaskets set the end play.

anaerobic gasket maker... used it on transmissions and t-cases. so in english it means it forms a gasket in an area void of air... so you dont need much.

690047_18PRH.jpg

I like the white lithium idea.

The Hylomar I have is the Universal Blue stuff and seems to work really well on other stuff. I'm hesitant to use anything thick because those bearing cap gaskets set the end play.

I'm old school, but I shy away from silicone based sealant on any application where sealing against oil leaks is involved.

My preference for something like this is Non-Hardening Permatex "Form -a Gasket No.2 Sealant".

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-form-a-gasket-no-2-sealant/

Been using it for years and years, and it has never failed me.

It will seal a metal to metal joint against oil leaks.....permanently.
Just a thin coat on both sides of a paper gasket.

My experience.

I am with coalminer on this. Thin layer of Permatex #2 on both sides of the gasket.

I like the idea of the grease for things I will be taking apart later, so the gasket will survive the disassembly. But I am fairly certain that you do not plan to take that tranny apart again if there is any way to avoid it.

Pay special attention to the little housing on the back that covers the ends of the shift rails, and the screw heads that hold it on.

The threaded holes for the front and rear covers go all the way though into the case, so don't forget to seal the threads. Permatex #2 is good for that purpose, but my brother, hiperfauto uses Loctite on the threads.

He also uses a little of the black "Right Stuff" RTV on the edge of the shift rail cover and on the underside of the 2 oval head screws for the shift rail cover.

I am with coalminer on this. Thin layer of Permatex #2 on both sides of the gasket.

I like the idea of the grease for things I will be taking apart later, so the gasket will survive the disassembly. But I am fairly certain that you do not plan to take that tranny apart again if there is any way to avoid it.

Pay special attention to the little housing on the back that covers the ends of the shift rails, and the screw heads that hold it on.

You're right, I don't plan on taking it apart. But, this is the third time I've seen the inside of this thing...

The threaded holes for the front and rear covers go all the way though into the case, so don't forget to seal the threads. Permatex #2 is good for that purpose, but my brother, hiperfauto uses Loctite on the threads.

He also uses a little of the black "Right Stuff" RTV on the edge of the shift rail cover and on the underside of the 2 oval head screws for the shift rail cover.

Thanks. Good call on the RTV around the shift rail cover. That seems like a bad questionable design (the edge of sheet metal on a paper gasket).

That said, I'll probably be emailing you shortly to order a bunch of gaskets.

Back