• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Tire Size For Lowered 242 Turbo

PDub

What is the best tire size for a lowered (front springs cut) 242 Turbo that will not rub with virgo rims, 205 / 55 / 15 or stock ?

I'm running 205/55/15 on virgos on my lowered 242. You'll have no problems with rubbing, even with my coilovers slammed in the front I can't get them to rub. Go for it!

What is the best tire size for a lowered (front springs cut) 242 Turbo that will not rub with virgo rims, 205 / 55 / 15 or stock ?

i dont see any reason why a 205/55/15 wont fit. me & a buddy are in the process of building a 240 wagon that has been slammed 7 we plan on putting 205/15's on it

205 55 or 205 50. You will like the gearing better with the 205 55 for a turbo application but you have much better tire choices in 205 50.

Why would the gea0ring be better for a turbo with 55? I'd rather run the shorter tire to effectively have shorter gearing and get into boost quicker in first gear.

For my personal application and driving style, I like taller lower gears which allows the turbo to actually contribute some work. IMO 1st is way too short from the factory. Adding short tires makes it even shorter.

Another personal issue and the reason i prefer a longer 1st and 2nd is in enviroment of autox, it usually never pays to shift to 3rd, so if you are limited at a lower top speed in 2nd it gets annoying.

how much shorter can 1st get:oops:

True, its been a long time since I've had an M46. With the T5 and 3.91 rears that was a sweet combo. I would have liked 4.10 gears even :twisted:

-and since I dont really give a **** about AutoX, getting into boost as quickly as possible was always my goal. I can see the point though if thats what makes your willy stiff.

Last edited:
I've got 215 60 15's on bertone wheels, seems to make a nice footprint.. and it wouldn't rub if I didn't run 16mm of extra spacing.

True, its been a long time since I've had an M46. With the T5 and 3.91 rears that was a sweet combo. I would have liked 4.10 gears even :twisted:

-and since I dont really give a **** about AutoX, getting into boost as quickly as possible was always my goal. I can see the point though if thats what makes your willy stiff.

first gear ends when the fun just starts to happen. Ive only had two cars with turbos, both the same damn 242s, so I dont know much difference.

But I'd rather that gear streach out to about 40, and second hit about 65.
mrbill thinks its [tremec] t5 time

...getting into boost as quickly as possible was always my goal.
Hence the oversized turbo? 3.91, M46, and 205/50 isn't going to do much in 1st gear. It should boil the tires if you're making a little bit of power, which makes getting into boost faster kinda pointless, right?

205 55 or 205 50. You will like the gearing better with the 205 55 for a turbo application but you have much better tire choices in 205 50.
Think I will go with the 205 55's. All good info from all, I appreciate it !

i dont see any reason why a 205/55/15 wont fit. me & a buddy are in the process of building a 240 wagon that has been slammed 7 we plan on putting 205/15's on it
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that's a LOW profile tire...

205/55-15 is my vote.

Back