• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 M47 to Aw71

chrisc734

Car details:
89 Volvo 240
95 b230ft block
89 Na head
13c turbo
M47

Im needing some insight to swap a Aw71 out of a 95 940 into my 89 Volvo 240. I have the 940 parts car still. Im wanting to swap in the Aw71 to be able to hold more power for the future.

Ive looked all over the forums and cant find anyone who has documented this swap. What parts do i need to acquire that i cant use from the 940? Are there any big obstacles that i should know about? Is it a pricey swap?

There is nothing to it. You transfer all of the stuff attached to the aw over to the 240. Read he maintenance section for automatic transmissions on the Bentley manual. That contains all you could possibly ever need.

You will also want a 3.73 rear end. The 3.31 in your car is too tall.

Or even better (10% more torque) is use a 4.10 1031 complete rear end.

Yes, the AW conversion is plug and play.... don't know about the front half of your prop shaft. If you want functional OD disable switch, you will need to create all of that along with the relay for control. The AW will live happily with mid 200s power levels so long as your adjust the throttle "kickdown cable" properly...... otherwise you will burn it up quickly. Don't forget the proper radiator with AW oil cooler internal.

Yes, the AW conversion is plug and play.... don't know about the front half of your prop shaft. If you want functional OD disable switch, you will need to create all of that along with the relay for control. The AW will live happily with mid 200s power levels so long as your adjust the throttle "kickdown cable" properly...... otherwise you will burn it up quickly. Don't forget the proper radiator with AW oil cooler internal.

I was reading across some of the boards and I was reading that the 86 and up model years were all 1031 axles, did this just apply to autos? Or also manuals?

There is nothing to it. You transfer all of the stuff attached to the aw over to the 240. Read he maintenance section for automatic transmissions on the Bentley manual. That contains all you could possibly ever need.

You will also want a 3.73 rear end. The 3.31 in your car is too tall.

:hahano:

There's lots of stuff that's different.

:hahano:

That would come out of a 75 240 with a 1030 and no tone ring for the 86+ electronic speedo.

And don't forget the 240 specific transmission cooler lines, brackets ect.

Stuff needed to do the conversion:

Overdrive relay harness with relay
Shifter console from a 1982-90 240 - don't bother with the 1991-on stuff, shift lock stuff that has to be removed (or disabled)
Driveshaft from an Aw70/71 car
Tailshaft housing from a 240 (or find a way to hack off the 740/760 secondary shift linkage arm that comes off the tailshaft housing - probably easier to do that, since the tailshafts are different on the late cars)
240 Aw70/71 shift linkage parts between selector shaft and shifter bucket
Either a complete 3.73 1031 axle, a 3.73 ring/pinion from same, or a 4.10 ring/pinion from a 740GLE 16 valve with Aw72L transmission (solves issue of trying to use a 140/240 1030 rear axle from a Bw35 or M40 B20 powered car)
240 tranny cooler lines

Make sure radiator has cooler line fittings.

Depending on your planned boost levels, I'd either consider a T5 or a well-cared-for 1979-82 non-turbo M46 box. The M47 will handle boost, but, like the turbo, diesel, and 1983-on non-turbo M46, will be weaker. If you do go with the M46, it may be easier to use stuff from a 1979-80 donor with the older Lucas slide switch that uses no relay. Behind the dash, only two wires need to be connected. The blue wire to fuse 11 for power, and the yellow wire to the smaller round harness plug that connects to the cluster. With respect to the bellhousing, get a gasket, measure the input shaft, so you can get the correct shim thickness, then install the M47 bellhousing on the M46. That way, it's already notched for the crank position sensor. Pre-1983 M46 bellhousings are thicker where the sensor normally sits.

-J

I really appreciate all the info guys. With all that being said T-5 maybe just worth the wait I'm only pushing 10psi right now. I don't dump the clutch or anything like that so I'll start saving for a t-5 and once I get the money we'll see what the m47 can hold ��. I'll be posting progress periodically on the forums so keep your eyes peeled.

Back