• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Carlisle Import and Kit Nationals May 15-17 2015

Has anyone heard of an organized drive tour of the local area?
If so, I'd like to participate.

A thought -
Being native to Carlisle, I would consider organizing a drive tour off the beaten path, if there would be any interest...

The town looks cool by the pictures I've seen. :eek:

The town looks cool by the pictures I've seen. :eek:

Carlisle was founded in the mid-1700s, has ties to the Revolutionary and Civil wars and has some beautiful architecture. Carlisle and the area is rich in American history. Carlisle is a good town to do walking tours. Ever hear of Molly Pitcher of the Revolutionary War? She is buried in the old Carlisle town cemetery. There are Civil War canon ball dings in the old County Courthouse stone columns.
Dickinson College, named for John Dickinson, a signatory of The Declaration of Independence, was founded in 1773 and is one of the original colonial colleges.

Unfortunately, the trucking transport industry is destroying a lot of the local landscape and razing historical sites, homesteads and generational family farms.

There are still areas of natural beauty being preserved by historical societies, farmland preservation groups and by Mennonite and Amish farming families.

There are many small towns here in the Cumberland Valley with lovely old architecture even cooler than Carlisle.

I could do a little sight-seeing and diner-accosting.

I could work out a leisurely country drive of an hour or two (whatever participants want) that would include a country diner where locals congregate to drink coffee and/or dine and, most importantly in small towns, catch up on the newest gossip.

Less than two weeks!! So much to (not) do in those two weeks :O Gotta pack, gotta get good music stuff together, gotta get good snackyfood stuff together, gotta get tent stuff together ohmygooooood.

A thought -
Being native to Carlisle, I would consider organizing a drive tour off the beaten path, if there would be any interest...

I could do a little sight-seeing and diner-accosting.
i would be down for a nice drive. never really explored the carlisle area, although from what i have seen, it is really nice. love places like that
I would be down for a cruise too

When would suit you guys to do a leisurely country drive with a stop at a local diner?
I can be available anytime between noon on Friday the 15th and 5pm on Sunday the 17th.

Anyone else interested in participating?

Last edited:
When would suit you guys to do a leisurely country drive with a stop at a local diner?
I can be available anytime between noon on Friday the 15th and 5pm on Sunday the 17th.

let's see how things shake out on Friday when we get there.

In case you are not aware, and in case you don't mind associating with VCOA, they do a Covered Bridge Tour every year after Carlisle, Sunday afternoon. It's already organized and I suspect they would left you join. Details from their web site:

"Meet at the Comfort Inn at PA Turnpike Exit # 286 (Rts 222 and 272) 60 miles east of Carlisle; GPS N40? 13' 21.3" W 76? 5' 53.9"

No Registration ? No Fee

Just show up at 11:30 AM in a Volvo for a leisurely 58 mile tour through 9 Lancaster County Historic Covered Bridges nestled in Amish farmland. Lunch stop about 2PM; tour ends about 4:15 in Strasburg, PA. Home of the oldest continuing operating steam railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum."

In case you are not aware, and in case you don't mind associating with VCOA, they do a Covered Bridge Tour every year after Carlisle, Sunday afternoon. It's already organized and I suspect they would left you join. Details from their web site:

"Meet at the Comfort Inn at PA Turnpike Exit # 286 (Rts 222 and 272) 60 miles east of Carlisle; GPS N40? 13' 21.3" W 76? 5' 53.9"

No Registration ? No Fee

Just show up at 11:30 AM in a Volvo for a leisurely 58 mile tour through 9 Lancaster County Historic Covered Bridges nestled in Amish farmland. Lunch stop about 2PM; tour ends about 4:15 in Strasburg, PA. Home of the oldest continuing operating steam railroad and the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum."

No, I was not aware that the Covered Bridge Tour is an annual event. It's what I am looking to do. Sounds like a good drive. PA's covered bridges are worth seeing/driving through.
Thanks for posting.

No Registration ? No Fee

I won't be there on Sunday, but it sounds nice.

Should be there in the 244. 965 if the 244's not together for some reason.

Taking the scenic Eastern Shore route to avoid the DC/Baltimore area? I will probably head north early on that Saturday.

Shoot, no one wants to see the 965, get that darn 244 ready, I'll come down and help if I need to!

I'm hoping to be bringing the wagon up this year.

Looking forward to seeing this thing, its so incredibly clean!

YES. Hopefully my 960 will be repaired by then.

It better be man!!

I have to figure out wether ti bring the 2014 WRX or the 1992 245 I have been building! They are both technically imports!

my 242 has decided to be unkind to me, so if i can get the new beater 244 running and let the wife drive that ill bring her 245 up.

I swear someday my 242 will come to a carlisle.

Back