• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Colorado

n. rippe

I will be moving to the beautiful state of Colorado (Denver) in about 4 months, I have a couple of questions...

1. Are clear taillights legal?
2. How strict are the emissions tests? I have no muffler, is that an instant fail?
3. Are snow tires "nessesary" in the winter?

Peace y'all!

I've lived in CO for the last 10 years, I live in Colo Springs about an hour south of Denver

1. They are as long as the color of the bulb matches what is supposed to be displayed (red for brake and tail lights, yellow for blinkers)
2. Emissions are semi strict, if you're moving to denver you have to put the car on a dyno. Having no muffler may be an auto fail, I'm not sure because I've always removed the muffler after emissions =X
3. Snow tires are not neccessary if you know how to drive in the snow. They help, but I've driven a 240SX w/sr20det and the cheapest tires I could afford through some ****ty snow and made it home safe (I'm sure it woulda been easier if I had better tires), Denver's road maintenance is pretty good too, so I doubt you'll have a problem.

but anyways, CO is pretty much my favorite state I've lived in. Denver's club/party scene is ****ing sick so if you're into that sort of thing you'll have a great stay.

Greetings

Emmisions is not draconian but your car does need to be in good tune...
your K-Jet will probably need to be set for the altitude.
By the way even though it's a pain in the ass I'm OK with emmisions testing,
Denver used to have some of the worst air in the nation but now we are doing OK...
still a large metropolis but at least you can walk around w/o your eyes watering.

I grew up here...
I would suggest a performance ice tire, I run Michelin Ice-X
unless you're going to live up in the foot hills to the west
or plan on doing alot of skiing in which case I would get studded snows.

If you're going to own the car long enough to use two sets
of tires you might as well get tires appropriate to the season.

Especially if you're from a warm weather state!!!

Spend some time learning to drive in the snow,
I do it every year, I go to a parking lot and practice brake
modulation and skid recovery.

If you really want to get a jump start on it go to
The ice driving school in Steam Boat Springs
http://www.winterdrive.com/

Welcome...

thanks guys, I can't wait until I'm actually there. so...

Snow tires are a must. I've never driven in snow so it will take some getting used to.

New exhaust is a must. I have a 740 so no K-Jet, lh 2.2. The car is tuned well except for a vacuum leak which is causing it to idle at 900 rpm, but hopefully a new AMM to Turbo hose will cure that.

Is anybody interested in some clear tailights? I'll post an ad soon.

and...

How does the heater work? It may seem like a dumb question but I've never had to use it. Is it instant hot air, or do you have to wait for the car to warm up?

thanks a mill

My car is warm in 3 blocks...
It's a toaster oven!
Sweden isn't known for it's balmy weather after all.

3 blocks! my car takes a while to warm up (even in hot weather), do I need a new thermostat?

so I guess it isn't instant heat.

Denver is a rolling dyno test. They drive car 0-55 mph. They also check for existance of cat, unleaded restricter, and pressure test the gas cap. It's not too hard to pass if the car is running OK and the O2 sensor is working.

Denver is flat. I have a set of snows, but it isn't too bad. Usually roads are clear of snow by 9-10am - so morning commute can be tricky. May snow from September to April depending on the year. A second set of rims are cheap on these cars - think about picking up a set.

Remember that Denver suburbs are at 6000 ft - a 18% reduction in power. If you have a turbo turn up the boost 3 psi to get back to sea level power.

The lights, yep, clear is ok if you get the right colored bulbs. I do have clear bulbs behind my clear turnsignals though. :) Haven't been stopped yet.

Emissions - you could do what I did and register the car in Larimer county (Berthoud and up) as they don't use emissions testing anymore. Moving here you'll have to VIN verify and e-test your car anyway though.

I haven't needed snow tires, I got a decent set of all-seasons, but that might depend on if you know how to drive in slippery conditions or not. Atleast rear-wheel drive makes is a lot easier.

Theheater in my 940 uses coolant to heat (then it'll be "heatant", right?) so until the engine is halfway warm, there's no heat. That takes about a minute or two.

Welcome here.

I've seen clear turn signals (white bulb) on brand new Mercedes SUV's. So it must be OK!
I'm going to get rid of them because I'm having a hard time finding colored bulbs at the store. I set them up with only a red bulb on the bottom, the rest are clear, and clear in the front too, it almost looks like Scion... but better.

I have a set of Falken Ziex's (sp?) on the wagon now, those are all-season I believe. People don't buy "summer" tires down here because it's always summer, but it does rain nice and good pretty often. The best is driving during a hurricane... and from what I understand, the best way to drive on a slippery surface is VERY CAFEFULLY ;-)

Back