• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MSD ignition

A

Anonymous

I am able to buy some name brand auto products at cost through my current place of work, :oops: a mustang performance and restoration catalog company. I have been having problems making a complete burn of my air/fuel mix due to high boost and not enough spark energy. I would like to add a MSD 6A ignition amplifier. Have any of you used or currently using on of these amplifiers or something simular. The car is a 91745SE with the B230ft power plant and I mean power. Just so you all know, I can take most of the mustangs coming into the store! I have all brand new in the past month ignition parts in the car so I know all is well as of now. I was experiencing plug fouling before I changed to all new parts and I am running 12 psi with no pinging.

I had a similar problem in my car under boost... kept missing at the higher RPMs. I initially thought it might be fuel related, but eventually figured out it was ignition related after discovering I could get a little better running with less spark plug gap. I just finished installing an MSD 6A amplifier piggy-backed on the stock ignition. It seems to have solved the problem.
Dave B.

The install was not bad except for there being very little room under the hood of a 245 Ti for another ignition box. I moved things around a bit to make them fit. I used an MSD 8910 Tach Adapter, which is required to get the CD ignition to work properly on the Volvo. I followed the instructions from MSD and all was well.
Dave B.

Was there a noticable gain in performace (HP or throtle responce)? I've been toying with such a mod, I just wasn't sure if it would be the best bang for the buck.

I think clearing up a miss IS a noticeable gain. Other than that, the butt-o-meter detected no difference.
Dave B.

my mechanic told me today...a mod to my 93 940t ign system would yield aprox 15-20 hsp increase w/the right ignition mod...i am not sure what system he was talking about...but, i am going to look into it...he said around $400 - $500 for all the parts & labor..?? :e-shrug:

dbarton said:
I think clearing up a miss IS a noticeable gain. Other than that, the butt-o-meter detected no difference.
Dave B.

[quote:7869db0ad3]I just finished installing an MSD 6A amplifier piggy-backed on the stock ignition.[/quote:7869db0ad3]

Out of curiosity, why did you piggy-back on the stock unit? I was under the impression that the MSD units use the signal directly from the distributor's magnetic pickups.

my mec hanic is talking about a piggy back system...apparentally you add the components to the existing system...he was telling me that the concentional system has the plufg firing once at the point of ignition...and the modded system has it firing multuple times w/in a short time span...something like instead of one firing...you get 3 or 4 small, short firings to enhanse the efficency of the burn or detination...he did not mention any brand names...it sounded interesting...esp if i can add 15-20 ponies from the mod.....

slowmo242 said:
[quote:f9044f16d0]I just finished installing an MSD 6A amplifier piggy-backed on the stock ignition.

Out of curiosity, why did you piggy-back on the stock unit? I was under the impression that the MSD units use the signal directly from the distributor's magnetic pickups.[/quote:f9044f16d0]

yea...i need to get the particulars...and i will post to the group...i am a bit light on details right now...thanx for the feedback though...

WeezilUSA said:
sounds too expensive... you should be able to setup a msd for like 150... not 4-500

I just Installed a blaster2, and the Car Seems To run MUCH smoother since then. not to mention I've Gained approx. 5mpg since doing so
(maybe my old coil WAS dying?)
at What point is the box needed more than just the upgraded coil?

my understanding was that using the blaster2 *WAS* as good As picking up the bigger box..?

you picked up 5mpg?? thats good to hear...my mechanic also ststed there should be a nice little pickup in mileage...so, car runs smoother...any notice of more power or horse power?...aka "butt - o - meter" changes..??

G96nt said:
I just Installed a blaster2, and the Car Seems To run MUCH smoother since then. not to mention I've Gained approx. 5mpg since doing so
(maybe my old coil WAS dying?)
at What point is the box needed more than just the upgraded coil?

my understanding was that using the blaster2 *WAS* as good As picking up the bigger box..?

i installed an msd 6al on my b20. i noticed two improvements- better throttle response, and the car always started instantly. the second it turned over it fired right up. unfortunately i had problems with the unit. i fried one stock coil, and replaced it with a blaster ss coil, but one night i just got in and there was absolutely no spark , and now th car is away for winter. i checked all conections and can't find the problem, and msd tech couldn't help either, so hopefully i just missed something and i will find in the spring.
james

more HP? no
maybe more like it SHOULD be?
it doesn't Seem to fall so much on its Face in higher RPM..

just need a new Cap/rotor STILL

and the damned magnacors before I see a HUGE Difference

Back