• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1992 volvo 960 6.0 t56 build

etizz

got me a 92 Volvo 960 wagon to use as a daily. I had the ls drivetrain in a 57 buick project car I built which was just too nice of a setup for that car to use so I found this running driving wagon on CL for $500 to swap it into. engine is a aluminum ls2, with l92 rectangle port heads, and a ls9 cam, it has the gm muscle car oil pan.

a friend of mine and I went to look at it and i got it the next day. drove it home on back roads about 20 miles with a slipping trans on hills and brakes that felt awful but still stopped, ride was smooth, exhaust was loud , fuel smell was mixing with the oil burning smell.

TqL9OqO.jpg

upon arrival home I decided to pull the rear wheels to see what the deal was with the horrible brakes. I discovered the left rear caliper wasn't even attached and was hanging off of the coil spring with some bailing wire. that would explain it!
XebveDm.jpg

ordered a bunch-o parts and started to get to work. I pulled the engine and trans within a few days of getting it home. was going to try to hang on to the drivetrain and sell it but my engine hoist decided to break a wheel with all the stuff still hanging there so I immediately just backed my truck up to it and loaded it up to take to the scrap yard. I salvaged the coolant temp sensor and wiring and the main battery wiring to the starter/grounds and took pics of certain wires to get an idea of what color to look for for later in the swap.
M0KGiph.jpg

o0G2h8b.jpg

got my mounts a few days later from STS, who didn't send any hardware, and what they did send quickly after which was nice, but ended up being useless for my application. had to make my own little plates for the new engine rubber mounts to bolt to.

bought a caster, fixed my engine hoist, test fit the ls engine, took awhile to get the oil pan past the subframe to let everything drop into place. had to do some measuring, some modifying, but I eventually got the engine mounts all setup where it looked like a good spot.
9GMk9Qp.jpg

wQjLljr.jpg

jkm85l7.jpg

uo7HB63.jpg

originally had truck accessories lined up for this car which I thought would work but ended up being way off. switched to car accessories but still truck spacing trying to keep cost down. barely fits but itll work.
5WvUBCa.jpg

r3duv0C.jpg

I modified the stock transmission crossmember to work with the t56 with just a simple plate and few drilled holes.
I found a clutch pedal assembly on ebay for 940 and had to do a few tweaks to make mine fit. also using a factory clutch master.
ukzKCVJ.jpg

exhaust was some ebay special hooker cast manifolds that cleared the steering shaft no problem and passenger side I could've used whatever manifold I wanted spacewise but theyre a matching set so itll work. they point directly at the control arm pivot points so when I got the exhaust done they had to angle away from it after the flange to make sure it didn't hit.

fuel is a walbro 400 mounted in tank, with the corvette fpr/filter mounted underneath where the old external pump sits.

got the oem driveshaft shortened, the shop shortened it way too much, so I bought a longer slip yoke to make it work and its fine now.

brakes I saw STS made the v70r caliper brackets which seemed like a great idea since I was replacing all the brake stuff due to the car having 250k on it, and I needed to stop this car well lol. after waiting over a month for them to make them. they sent me 2 drivers side brackets, no instructions, no pictures, and was kind of a dick when I was advising that even simple instructions would've helped others that aren't as mechanically inclined. he shipped the ps bracket with a quickness, along with a m14x1.5 tap I'm apparently supposed to use on the oem brake caliper holes in the strut housing (didn't end up doing this) . again, a lot of after the fact information.

suspension I replaced the rear shocks, got a rear sway bar off of a 940 in the junkyard, made a front lower subframe brace, ordered the oem subframe braces from the later 960s but I wont see those for a few more weeks due to backorder. front suspension needs some help but I haven't gotten to that yet.

nsqNDvB.jpg

oyqq3tX.jpg

U8sB8Hw.jpg

CGbcFAu.jpg

just got it on the road last week and so far this car is a riot. I have a few kinks I need to work out but its still driveable as is which is all I care about. took it on the highway for the first time on a 60 mile round trip and it cruises nicely.
jHL4rEn.jpg

EouVbHC.jpg

future plans are a headlight upgrade, ford 8.8 rear axle swap and add some a/c, fix misc bugs that pop up.

I need to get more pics of stuff but that's what I'm working with for now, just switched from photobucket to imgur to actually be able to host pics lol.

Looking good. How long did it take you to swap it going from pulling out the old engine to putting in the new one?

Awesome stick shift wagon. That's unfortunate to hear about the brake caliper adapters as a bunch of us were interested. Were you able to end up getting them installed? If so, are those 17" wheels?

Last edited:
Looking good. How long did it take you to swap it going from pulling out the old engine to putting in the new one?
thanks! I got the car on October 15th, had the engine out and ls bolted in that weekend. could've ran if I knew what all parts combo would've fit correctly and had them all at the same time. took about a month with correct parts gathering being really the only hold up. I also have ls swapped a rx7, 3 squarebody chevy trucks, a 57 buick special as previous experience that I'm sure helped speed things along.

Awesome stick shift wagon. That's unfortunate to hear about the brake caliper adapters as a bunch of us were interested. Were you able to end up getting them installed? If so, are those 17" wheels?
Thanks! I'm not knocking the STS product, a little more upfront info would've been nice is all I'm saying. definitely appreciate him making this product. If there was info already out there, I didn't see it in the obvious spots to look I guess. doesn't matter now as I currently have them installed and they are working great. I'm using 17x7.5 crown Victoria steelies with a 32mm 5x108 to 5x114.3 adapter and its tight but it clears without any issues.

I wasn't trying to be rude on the installing on the adapters, How did you manage to bolt the brackets without taping the preexisting brake caliper holes? Anyone for future referance I have a link of anyone how to http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=335378

by the time i got any info on how to install these i had already drilled on of the holes of the hub a bit too large trying to fit the m14x1.5 bolts thru the hub holes, not knowing at the time what size they even were. once I found I needed to tap threads into the hub , when I looked up how to properly tap a m14x1.5 and have any kind of good threads, it had to be 12.5mm or 1/2" hole, which one side of one hole in the hub was larger than that so I couldn't tap that hole and have any good threads. so I drilled the rest of the holes to 1/2" and used a high grade allen head bolt/nut/Loctite, trimming the caliper some to clear the bolt head that is there now that its not tapped. otherwise if tapped you wouldn't need to trim calipers at all.

ill try to get pictures later as in my rush to get it roadworthy I didn't lube anything on the front brakes and now that theyre biting good theyre starting to squeak so I've got to lube em up.

crappy pic of the big brakes lol I'm so bad at photography
18qvMd3.jpg

put about 150 miles on it so far, definitely needs the tune dialed in, which I expected anyways, getting awful gas mileage and my tailpipe is black , wired in my wideband but apparently my o2 bung plug is seized and I cant actually install the sensor. gonna get that fixed.

I think I may switch to my wilwood 3/4" clutch master so I can have some adjustability , the stock Volvo master doesn't seem to completely disengage the twin disc clutch I have. it seems to shift fine if its the right mph/rpm for the next gear, but anything other than that is likes to fight me.

I also will adjust the transmission mount soon as I think the bellhousing is still hitting the firewall slightly on the top, getting a nasty vibration at like 2k rpm. but ive got the transmission spaced up about an inch off that mount that I can play with, just need to find motivation now that is snowing and cold around here lately

also got my 8.8 axle brackets in, that's pretty exciting and stressful at the same time, don't really want to mess with that but I know ill feel better once its done and installed

Last edited:
since my last post ive fixed my wideband situation, wilwood didn't help anything, ended up shimming my throwout bearing after pulling the transmssion out. swapped to a poly transmission mount with a better spacer. hammered the tunnel out better for no contact of the transmission and no vibration. put about 1700 miles on the car so far now. per request ill post that i finally got around to installing my 8.8. I took a 2000 explorer 8.8 with 3.73 traklok, cleaned it up, replaced everything, lengthened it, yes you heard right, and ran a custom axle on the passenger side . used brackets from giffin performance shop on facebook, measured and measured and measured then got it all welded up. used some junkyard Volvo trailing arms to assemble everything off the car.
q8wlRNy.jpg

VJQqiHf.jpg

ZRA49LK.jpg

5uQx2gN.jpg

9S5iunw.jpg

q8qXGAB.jpg

uhCLyC4.jpg

jMJ1T8Y.jpg

wXjBPY9.jpg

still need to tinker with the ebrake adjustment, and actually drive it with the 8.8, been a hectic week I haven't even test drove it yet, ready to do some burnouts though haha. next step is either boost or selling it lol whichever one brings me most joy.

I applaud the fast work there.

Any wiring tips to share fro getting the factory dash integrated to the LS?

Bump for a question, what vehicle did your transmission come out of? I'm trying to figure out which one I need to order from TREMEC.

Back