• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Trans is slipping hard- what's next?

keystonelife

Bored Member
I have done some searching and have a couple of questions.

This is ridiculous but... I have a new filter and gaskets and a bunch of fluid that i had planned on installing while doing the accumulator mod, but the trans started slipping real bad 2 days before the planned "tune up". Even though it's slipping should I waste my time/money with doing any of these things? I have heard/read of people changing the filter and fluid and some magical tranny fairy(ehhh, sounds freaky) fixes years of abuse. When I bought the car it had a trans fluid leak at the radiator that the PO never fixed quite right he said, "I just add fluid when it stops working..." So, I knew it was gonna go as soon as it had any power going to it.

Should I just save my money and drive it slowly until I can source another trans to rebuild?

And that's the other thing. There are this and that's to making a stronger auto trans. Has anyone read a post of the proven mods/strengthing to do during a trans rebuild?
-Valve Body
-Accumulator Mod
-Kevlar clutches??
-higher torque convertor--what car can you pull this from?
-External trans cooler
-anything else?

A sticky would be great.

Thanks ya'll!!!

I see a new transmission in your near future. That's what happens next. do the accum to it while it's out, and then new filter flush, etc.

don't waste your time on the old one, it's done

If its not in your budget to get a new trans yet, try draining and refilling, with T4 type fluid. You might be able to get a few more days/weeks/months out of her, if you can keep your foot out. You will need a new tranny soon.

Mine started slipping BAD about 8 months or so ago... I removed the mbc, drained the fluid filled with cheqpo Walmart fluid and Lucas stop slip... almost a year later and sure still running find... It's not perfect (shifting is a lil wonky)... I've got a good trans sitting w the accum mod but I'm to lazy... It was just a stop gap to buy some time.... But that time keeps going and going lol

I see a new transmission in your near future. That's what happens next. do the accum to it while it's out, and then new filter flush, etc.

don't waste your time on the old one, it's done

+1 I just went through this and tried changing fluid to get a couple more days out of it. Complete waste of my time and money. Spend the money you would have spent on a JY AW71. You can find one for just over 100 bucks.

+1 I just went through this and tried changing fluid to get a couple more days out of it. Complete waste of my time and money. Spend the money you would have spent on a JY AW71. You can find one for just over 100 bucks.

WHAT? 3 quarts of ATF is 12 bucks, even less if you have it on tap. Totally worth a try, my old 740 turbo slipped really hard once when I stepped on it before it warmed up. I then practically idled to work, drained and refilled with valvoline maxlife T4 (4 bucks a quart) it ran for another year, and then I sold it. For all I know it may still work. I've had it go the other way also, wasted 12 bucks and the trans still slipped. ALWAYS worth a try, if for no other reason than to get through to the weekend for a swap. How cheap are TBers? jesus.

I do agree that he will need a new one soon if not now.

gear oil works as well. we had a ford f250 at my old job and the trans started slipping we just drained it and filled it full of gear oil. 2 years later the truck is still on the road

WHAT? 3 quarts of ATF is 12 bucks, even less if you have it on tap... How cheap are TBers? jesus.

I think you answered your own question. ;-)

To the OP. It might be worth a try. It might even hold out for a while. If you drop your boost, it might last even longer. Turn your car to an NA and it may last longer yet. Looking at your sig, I doubt you like babying your car, you've got a nice build.

Some food for thought though... your transmission probably will die and it will pick the worst possible place and time... on your way to a job interview in rush hour traffic on Route 30, at 2 AM when you finally get that booty call from the hot chick you met at the Chameleon, or in the middle of a shady Amish neighborhood. Then you've got to deal with towing and all that BS. Just some food for thought.

For my transmission, swapping out 3 quarts did nothing but waste my time. YMMV.

you can flush it out, you need to drop the pan and clean it out and replace the filter as well, it's not just $12 of atf to get any kind of lasting result.

it's also not likely to hang around regardless, as stuff has been clearanced, which is a compounding failure.. the more gap the longer it takes to shift the more it slips the greater the gap....

Higher stall converter is only from a converter shop, I'd recommend getting a 3000rpm stall, especially with the AW71L.

I wish I'd seen that thread of Kenny's when I built my box before I ****ed it all up!

I hear mixed reviews with regards to flushing a fairly old trans. A mechanic explained that once you flush it, you're removing a lot of the clutch material which wore off and is floating around, but helps the clutch grab. Does this make any sense? Never had one apart so I don't know exactly how they work, but I'd asume the filter should be removing those particulates.

If it's generaly reccomended by you high psi guys, what fluid should I run? I'm ok with pony'ing up for synthetic. My trans is 192k at the moment and if I do this, I'd like it to be the last time. No accumulator mod on this trans, fwiw.

you can flush it out, you need to drop the pan and clean it out and replace the filter as well, it's not just $12 of atf to get any kind of lasting result.

it's also not likely to hang around regardless, as stuff has been clearanced, which is a compounding failure.. the more gap the longer it takes to shift the more it slips the greater the gap....

Not worth the money IMO, just do a drain and refill every oil change until it quits.

Not worth the money IMO, just do a drain and refill every oil change until it quits.

But the filter will be blocked as well, which will reduce it's ability to make full pressure, if it's changed and whatever is in the bottom is removed/cleaned, it will give it more of a chance.

But the filter will be blocked as well, which will reduce it's ability to make full pressure, if it's changed and whatever is in the bottom is removed/cleaned, it will give it more of a chance.

its not a filter its a screen, it can always be cleaned and reinstalled unless there is a hole in it.

You won't know what is truely going on with that AW71 until you drop the pan gasket. If you see a bunch of clutch pack lining material and other grey/silver gunk in the bottom of the pan then you will at least know for sure then.

Or bench-race it and second guess it internet style! That's always the best way to go.

OK. Just because I'm curious and want to know if there is any metal snot inside the tranny, I'm going to drop the pan in the morning. Just from a quick look underneath, there is a bracket blocking a couple of bolts in the front of the pan and it looks like it slides under the mount. Does that sound about right? Will I need to remove the trans mount as well? or at least enough to slide this bracket out?

Monkec, I know that it will give out at the worst possible time, and missing a booty call would be the worst.

Back