• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 244DL M47 "Turd Ferguson"

thebornotaku

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
2FSye8w.jpg

Just got it. Needs a ton of work. Combination of age and neglect.

Engine runs pretty solidly. The motor mounts are shot and so are the shifter bushings so it doesn't drive very well. Wicked shake in the front end over 55 or so. Power steering doesn't work, one of the windows is broken and it has a bunch of other little "normal 28 year old Volvo" problems.

Eventual idea is possibly lifting it and putting slightly bigger tires on it, but who knows. First step: Stage 0. Which for this car, is a lot...

Stay tuned.

Balloon A/T tires on the MSWs and a three inch lift.

:oogle:

that's the plan! Jeep springs, MSWs and some cheapo decent size A/Ts.

Just ordered the engine and trans mounts and shifter bushings. I'm also gonna look in to a set of bronze bushings because **** it why not.

mini ****ty update.

I got a window, door handle and wagon springs from Ken yesterday down in SF. Figured I wanted to be able to actually close my car up so we got the window in today. I didn't know what was wrong with the driver's side door handle... turns out the linkage just came undone. So we popped that back in. And then threw the wagon springs in.

The rear fender arches were pretty much right in line with the tires and after the wagon springs there's a solid ~2in gap. It matches the front in terms of wheel gap. It's not a huge, drastic difference but it's notably higher than it used to be.

****ty pictures but pictures nonetheless:
before:
sYplOEM.jpg

after:
FTRy3HZ.jpg

bonus pic: tylor cleaning the glass out of the window run channel:
gm9krwx.jpg

So Bret told me yesterday that the window was broken by his ex (who was driving/"financing" the car) because she locked the keys in it while it was running. Tylor was trying to clean out the run channel with a screwdriver when I yanked the channel out of the door and brushed all the glass out. Then I showed him the trick of using soapy water in a spray bottle to lubricate the metal "frame" for the run channel so you could get it back in easily. I turned around to scrape some stickers off of the rear glass and when I turned back he had the new window in and working mint.

Also apparently this car has quite a history of being passed around. According to Bret...

Noah got this car for essentially nothing. He swapped the trans out (It's actually an 86, AW70 car) with the M47 from an '88. Noah did the maintenance on it while his then-wife was driving it. They got divorced and Noah kept the car. Then Bret got it for free from Noah. Bret did some work on it too (front end work, ball joints, new clutch) and made an agreement with his ex. She wasn't keeping up her side of the deal though and the car was being beat pretty badly. She was unable to keep up with the maintenance on it. Also she's living out of a Winnebago and stopped driving the Volvo for the most part.

When we went to Sebastopol to go get it, she was using it as a closet. The back seat and trunk were full of clothes and other knick-knacks.

Turns out too that it does have some sort of running issue. When it was idling cold today it bogged down a bit. It did respond to throttle though.

It has some problems and it's pretty beat on the outside but underneath it's pretty solid. The trans and driveline were all pretty good with the exception of the trailing arm bushings but no surprise there. The guibo seems pretty new. It did run really well when it was warmed up before I drove it home. Once I get the mounts in it (next weekend, hopefully) I'll have a better feel for what's happening and can go through and do a stage 0 on it.

Last edited:
You gonna get some 79 242GT front springs from FCP scrotum?

maybe, but down the road. it has more pressing issues currently.

Hope it doesnt need a dizzy, lol.

har.

this isn't my daily driver, so really if it's out of commission for a while or whatever I'm not worried about it. I would have kept the wagon after buying the VW too if I had the funds but I needed to replenish my savings + was under the impression I couldn't keep an extra car at my parent's house. Now I don't keep the VW there and my mom is okay with me keeping another car so it's whatever.

YNZrBcE.jpg

poopy parts for a poopy car

this is what $50 gets you on iPd. All three mounts, all four shifter cage bushings and the shifter linkage bushings.

Also she's living out of a Winnebago and stopped driving the Volvo for the most part.

rough. But was a funny read! I am not gonna lie.

You gonna get some 79 242GT front springs from FCP scrotum?

hahaha. **** ken, your jokes are pretty solid right now. I hope I get to see you again soon and hear the noob trash talking in person!

Let me guess...OP has some scrotey engine mounts coming that will fail in under 6 months! hahahaha

rough. But was a funny read! I am not gonna lie.

honestly it was awkward as **** turning up to pick up the car because I'm sitting in the VW, just off work and still wearing my nice watch and playing on my phone to be greeted by Bret's ex kind of doing a hem-haw oh woe is me kind of thing and "oh the car was so nice to have" and all that...

but I also knew his ex back when they were dating and everything and frankly I don't feel bad about anything, but the situation at the moment was awkward as hell.

hahaha. **** ken, your jokes are pretty solid right now. I hope I get to see you again soon and hear the noob trash talking in person!

he actually wasn't kidding, we were talking about it while I was in the city and told him I was looking at getting a little more stiff and a little more tall out of this car and he made a few suggestions. If you wanna talk about suspension meant for doing work, or big tall tires, then ken is the man. We also talked about rear gearing and about how I could probably expect to see pretty decent mileage even with the tall tires because of the M47 and auto rear-end.

Oh and it turns out the car is actually a 1986 AW70 delivered car, but during the time Noah owned it he swapped in the M47 out of what Bret believes was an 88. So I'm just gonna say eff it, and call the car an '87 M47 car because that's essentially the configuration it's in right now. The swap is all stock stuff and for all intents and purposes it's probably identical to an 87 M47 car, with the exception of the rear gear ratio which is not anything I have to worry about for now.

Also I have bronze shift bushings on order, another "eff it" moment already and figured I'd drop a little coin to get the nice stuff right off the bat for that.

Talked to David and I'm probably getting my old MSWs back from him some time tomorrow as well as possibly more parts out of his garage? So if nothing else this car will look a lot less turd hopefully.

Exterior plan is pretty much rip off all the cladding, probably remove the air dam too. On the turbobricks facebook page somebody suggested spraying the area where the lower cladding used to be with bedliner. I like that idea. I'm probably gonna clean up the paint as best as I can (read: as best as I can be bothered to) and get it looking halfway decent since it's honestly not that far aside from a few derelict things. But any exterior enhancements are purely low-dollar.

Interior I'd like to get new seats all around since the fronts are toast and the rear ass-cushion is pretty dirty and saggy. I don't care about color or anything and it's entirely likely that I'm gonna find some mexican blankets or something to put over the seats anyway just because. Have a little fun with it.

And just for clarification before I keep this thread rolling:

This is not my daily driver. This is not even a planned "weekend car" or anything like that. This is literally a toy for me to play around with. I already have a way nicer DD and another project car, but I was looking at a Volvo (an entirely different one) and then this one came up.

It has a hilariously turbobricks history to it, it was dirt cheap and it'll be a good way to kill what little free time and money I have left.

I'm already pretty stupid as I work and go to school full time. I'm in a committed relationship (which the Volvo has already strained a little, lol) and working on my photography. Then to top it all off, I don't make very much money and I spend about 75% of what I already do make on rent, car payment and insurance and everything. So I have very little money left over. Seriously, I'm one of the stupidest people I know.

But still, it's gonna be fun having a Volvo again, really having a reason to interact with this community more and spend time with all the great people here, as well as having a cheap project car.

I'm already pretty stupid as I work and go to school full time. I'm in a committed relationship (which the Volvo has already strained a little, lol) and working on my photography. Then to top it all off, I don't make very much money and I spend about 75% of what I already do make on rent, car payment and insurance and everything. So I have very little money left over. Seriously, I'm one of the stupidest people I know..

What is this?

I don't make very much money and I spend about 75% of what I already do make on rent, car payment and insurance and everything. So I have very little money left over. Seriously, I'm one of the stupidest people I know.

I think that is the way most people feel when they work for somebody else.

I have heard the sob stories so many times when people have to pay to fix their car. I usually don't even give a crap to be honest. I don't feel bad when people neglect their car and then cry about when it breaks and how they have to pay to fix it. I feel bad if it's an accident or they got stuck with a lemon, but when people complain about having to fix their blown out suspension or neglected engine maintenance on a 150k mile car DGAF. Suck it up and fix it.

What is this?

external monologue

I think that is the way most people feel when they work for somebody else.

I have heard the sob stories so many times when people have to pay to fix their car. I usually don't even give a crap to be honest. I don't feel bad when people neglect their car and then cry about when it breaks and how they have to pay to fix it. I feel bad if it's an accident or they got stuck with a lemon, but when people complain about having to fix their blown out suspension or neglected engine maintenance on a 150k mile car DGAF. Suck it up and fix it.

Well it doesn't help that I really don't make that much money and I live in a pretty expensive area. My apartment's rent is more than a lot of people's mortgages.

that was pretty much just a whole "what am I even getting in to" kinda thing but eff it, I like having something I know I can wrench on without worrying if I can get to work the next day.

So in lieu of the poopy parts I ordered, I ordered some nice parts.

M47 bronze bushings:
z09PTeY.jpg

which oddly enough cost as much as the rest of those other parts too :lol:

Back